John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For a long time I have taken my own photos, scanned my own items, and written my own descriptions.

So its a Saturday morning and I want to list 5 items on ebay. Looking for my camera and carefully positioning each item I photograph each one from several angles "one sentence does not justify the time this takes". After taking the photos I upload them to my photo editor to be edited and watermarked "I am not a graphics designer so this also takes quite a bit of time". Then I upload the photos.

Getting ready to post the item, I read the BGG description of the item, and the manufacturers description. Then I begin to rewrite this in my own words with as much additional information that I can find on it, including from my own personal experience. Trying to muster as much creativity as possible I write my description, format, spell check, and save.

In addition to this I have to select the category, add return info, cross selling info, etc "some of this has been minimized with the use of a saved template".

Whoa! Ok remember this is only to list a few items on my own site or ebay. Saturday morning is over and I only successfully finished 3 out of the 5 items.
cry

There has been on occasion that I have gotten a photo directly from a manufacturer which has saved a lot of time. The BGG descriptions often are very valuable. I have noticed some retailers pull the description directly from BGG with credit. Is this allowed? What about images?

Are game manufacturers supplying or offering more access to image files?

What have you done to speed up this process and make it more efficient?

By the way Amazon is amazing in that it has one image and description making it much faster to post vs ebay. BGG marketplace is easier as well but I find it difficult to manage more then a few listings.

Whats your story?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I put the item on the floor, pull out my cell phone, snap a quick shot, and upload it to eBay. Takes maybe 5 minutes/item.

For the description, half the time eBay has one already written up. I just write up the condition. Another 2 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on. I can't be the only one who has to overcome this. Taking original photos of every item that look "Professional" is not any easy task. Writing good original descriptions also is not an easy task.

Maybe the 10,000 pound gorilla is that most retailers don't use original pictures and descriptions? ninja

Just a quick peak at some of the major retailers reveals that most of the board games look like stock shots pulled from the manufacturers websites and copy and pasted descriptions either from the geek or from the manufacturer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dodgy
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
Jumpshelf wrote:
Come on. I can't be the only one who has to overcome this. Taking original photos of every item that look "Professional" is not any easy task. Writing good original descriptions also is not an easy task.

Maybe the 10,000 pound gorilla is that most retailers don't use original pictures and descriptions? ninja

Just a quick peak at some of the major retailers reveals that most of the board games look like stock shots pulled from the manufacturers websites and copy and pasted descriptions either from the geek or from the manufacturer.

I know that's what my online store looks like...

(Great store though!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.