Evan Gassman
United States
WASHINGTON
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm looking for a copy of "The Specialty Retailer's Handbook." It's not on Amazon or eBay. I also called The Fantasy Shop (Dave Wallace's store), and it's currently sold out. (A reprint is in the works, but no idea when.)

I also called GAMA -- that too was a dead end.

People say it's required reading if you're considering getting into the industry. Can anyone sell me/lend me their copy? Or point me in the direction where I can get one?

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/753?articleID=10196

They say they have it in stock and that's the only link I can find. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Gassman
United States
WASHINGTON
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply. I emailed them and called them and they said they haven't had it in stock for a few years, and they don't deal directly with consumers. Thanks again for your help though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dodgy
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
I'll chime in here too - I'm on the same hunt for a copy.

It's great reading how much of a help it would be, but it's no help if it's not available!

Mitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the quest to find the handbook for you, I came across this really interesting article which references it
http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/OpeningAGameStore.sh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dodgy
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
Jumpshelf wrote:
In the quest to find the handbook for you, I came across this really interesting article which references it
http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/OpeningAGameStore.sh...

Definately an excellent article, but I'm beginning to suspect it's part of a conspiracy to have a bit of fun with potential new store owners!

(Or am I just getting paranoid?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Gassman
United States
WASHINGTON
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The folks at the Fantasy Shop (the author's store) didn't even pause when I asked them about it when I called. Either they're doing a great job keeping up the charade, or it's just legitimately OOP at the moment like they claim. Clearly I'm not the only one looking for this book - why the author doesn't get it up on Amazon via CreateSpace is beyond my understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evan, send me a direct message with your physical address. I'll send you a used copy for the price of postage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know what ISBN is, who are the authors? And is that the exact name of the book? Cause I tried a search on a NZ book price comparison website (which looks at overseas sites too and it didn't know the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no ISBN. It is a spiral bound publication:

A Specialty Retailer's Handbook
Games and Comics
By David & Kelli Wallace
FAN-001
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried searching for the authors and zero results, so none of the main english worldwide website and NZ have this book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Treadway
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Was a copy of the book located? I have been looking for one and have not found anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurabara wrote:
Was a copy of the book located? I have been looking for one and have not found anything.

Why not contact Dave directly and ask. He owns (or owned) The Fantasy Shop in St Louis.

http://www.fantasyshoponline.com/about-the-fantasy-shop/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Adducci
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent an email to their contact info on the website and got this in response:
"The Specialty Retailer's Handbook is in stock. It's $25( which includes shipping) and we can take credit card payment over the phone or Paypal. Thank you for inquiring."

I replied to Mike and he's invoicing me via paypal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fido
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Threadnomancy:
Is this book worth buying for European based starters? Leases and contracts are completely different in Europe than they are in the USA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Wild
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've reached out to Dave Wallace's store specifically as well as Diamond... everyone says it's out of print (or just plan doesn't respond to me).

Does anyone have a copy of this that they'd be willing to send a scanned copy or something to me? Happy to pay! Would love to buy directly from the author himself, but have not received a returned email yet and it's been about a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Alabbasi
Bahrain
Springfield Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
I was suppose to write Arabic Words, but BGG don't sport that, so you have to live up with this..
badge
Before you head to the desert, make sure you have your own falcon....
mbmbmbmbmb
MadamRadness wrote:
I've reached out to Dave Wallace's store specifically as well as Diamond... everyone says it's out of print (or just plan doesn't respond to me).

Does anyone have a copy of this that they'd be willing to send a scanned copy or something to me? Happy to pay! Would love to buy directly from the author himself, but have not received a returned email yet and it's been about a week.

Perhaps they are attending a Con or something, usually they would be fast. I have Contacted them directly and they got back to me quickly, I have done that and they have shipped the book to me within one week.

I just got mine 1 week ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Alabbasi
Bahrain
Springfield Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
I was suppose to write Arabic Words, but BGG don't sport that, so you have to live up with this..
badge
Before you head to the desert, make sure you have your own falcon....
mbmbmbmbmb
JayAdan wrote:
kurabara wrote:

Why not contact Dave directly and ask. He owns (or owned) The Fantasy Shop in St Louis.

Did that and got the book, thanks for the tip. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McKeever
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Just looked on their website, they have a paypal link and a contact number you can call for a copy. Just ordered mine!

http://www.fantasyshoponline.com/specialty-retailers-handboo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll point out that "Friendly Local Game Store: A Five-Year Path to a Middle-Class Income" is going to be released soon.

http://gameplaywright.net/books/friendly-local-game-store/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.