United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
also just got the email and wow, some titles I never expected to see again... ones that started Tanga when it was run by the same guy as Uberplay...

The Bridges of Shangri-La... $9.50

The Motley Fool Buy Low, Sell High... $6.99

Saga... $3.75
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you can't combine shipping into one order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbuckingham wrote:

Yeah... $30 shipping on $30 of games? No thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chaney
United Kingdom
Dry Drayton
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typical, I ordered two copies of Carpe Astra just yesterday.

Are any of the others any good? I know that being in the 1000's in BGG rankings doesn't mean a bad game, but by the time I have read reviews on all of these, looked at components, etc. the timer will be out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
mbuckingham wrote:

I was just going to ask about that. I thought that had somehow started to allow combined shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
mbuckingham wrote:

I was just going to ask about that. I thought that had somehow started to allow combined shipping.

You can indeed get "combined" shipping--assuming you need, say, six copies of Carpe Astra.

I'd be all over a few of these but from as much to twice as much shipping on these, no matter how many you order, kills the deal completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In for a copy of Nostra City. I had wanted it back when I saw
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
review of it, and then forgot all about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Spielguy wrote:
mbuckingham wrote:

You can indeed get "combined" shipping--assuming you need, say, six copies of Carpe Astra.

I'd be all over a few of these but from as much to twice as much shipping on these, no matter how many you order, kills the deal completely.

Completely agree. And.. I also completely understand that not all these games are in the same location.. and thus combined shipping is not possible for any combination of order

But.. if Tanga (or who ever) is really looking to "blow out of games," then at least group them however they are currently warehoused.
If:
Power Struggle: $10.99
Cities: $6.99
Chang Cheng: $7.99
.. are for some reason at the same location / warehouse, then allow them to be group shipped.

Perhaps the online ordering system that Tanga uses cannot handle such groupings?

Or .. even consider selling a bundle... All three for $26.99 + single ship price. Sure.. some people might not want ALL three games, but they might if it's included in the single ship.. (thus.. moving product).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or get together with other people in your local area, and make a group order (assuming they want the same things as you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
lostdog wrote:
Or get together with other people in your local area, and make a group order (assuming they want the same things as you).
see nate's geeklist

Want to find someone near you to split Tanga shipping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, Tanga offers these deals for other companies through their portal, and so there is no way to combine shipping on different products because of that, since each game might be in a different state. It is great for one off deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that it'll help the shipping sting much, but you can get 3% back on your Tanga purchase from MrRebates.com. If you sign up for that link with referral ID 624997, I get some kind of referral credit - pennies probably - but you certainly don't have to (and if adding that is against a BGG rule, I'll take it out). I think you have to get to a minimum earning before you actually get the cash back - like five dollars or so - but there's a bunch of e-tailers you might buy from sometimes anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
furtherbum wrote:

I understand that sometimes (often) the shipping on Tanga makes the final price not such a deal, and that's cool. But this attitude here I don't get. It really doesn't make sense to compare the game price and the shipping price to each other. Just add the two together and see if the price is still good. "$30 + $30 shipping" somehow sounds bad, but I bet with at least some of these, if it was "$60 + free shipping!" you'd be all over it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping kills just about any internet deal unless it can all be combined into one shipment. Tanga is not structured to do such a thing, which is why Tange will almost never be a source for any game purchase for me. And certainly never for multiple games. That's just the way it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
DainHarper wrote:

Are any of the others any good? I know that being in the 1000's in BGG rankings doesn't mean a bad game, but by the time I have read reviews on all of these, looked at components, etc. the timer will be out.

I'm familiar with

Age of Gods: $12.99
The Bridges of Shangri-La: $9.99
Heads of State: $9.99

And I'd vouch for all but the last as being outstanding deals at these prices - CHANG CHENG and BRIDGES are simple but engaging fillers at maybe an hour-ish, and AGE is a moderately pumped up SMALL WORLD reworked for maximum deviousness - basically, some units from every race are on the board from turn 1 and instead of choosing, races are assigned every few turns randomly by card draw, and you're allowed to activate/control any race of your choice - thus, I can use your race and make them go suicidal IF I know which one is yours, SO keeping people from figuring out which race is "really" yours is a thing.

HEADS OF STATE is reasonably decent - you collect sets of cards for the resources to install your tokens in as nobles of various European countries (Baron, Duke, Earl, Prince, etc./France, germany, et. al) and collect victory points based on how highly ranked your nobles are - once a role is filled you can try and assassinate the noble and replace them with your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
jmsmith2434 wrote:
Shipping kills just about any internet deal unless it can all be combined into one shipment. Tanga is not structured to do such a thing, which is why Tange will almost never be a source for any game purchase for me. And certainly never for multiple games. That's just the way it goes.

I wold have to disagree - I don't source every deal to the max, but I was very satisfied with the pricing on FOR SALE!, DUNGEON LORDS, BRIDGES OF SHANGRI-LA, CASTLE MERCHANTS and several other Tanga deals - I agree that from what I've seen you can find somewhere to get it for a dollar or 2 less IF you look hard enough, but I feel quite a few Tanga deals are worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to pass my saving throw against buying Frontiers when it was $7.60 a week or so ago. At $5.75... eek.

Oh, FYI, they also have Lamborghini: The Official Race Game at $26.50, but I played that at BGG.con last year and it was really awful. No sense of game at all. You'd be way better off with Top Race at half the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DainHarper wrote:

Are any of the others any good?

I think of the games listed above, Carpe Astra is the only one I've actually played - and, to be honest, I don't know if I'd recommend it, although at under $10 shipped it's probably worth having. Oh, I've also played Skyline 3000, but I was underwhelmed. It would probably work better with 3-4 players, but the two-player game seemed pointless unless we were doing something wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chaney
United Kingdom
Dry Drayton
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outkast wrote:
DainHarper wrote:

I'm familiar with

Age of Gods: $12.99
The Bridges of Shangri-La: $9.99
Heads of State: $9.99

And I'd vouch for all but the last as being outstanding deals at these prices - CHANG CHENG and BRIDGES are simple but engaging fillers at maybe an hour-ish, and AGE is a moderately pumped up SMALL WORLD reworked for maximum deviousness - basically, some units from every race are on the board from turn 1 and instead of choosing, races are assigned every few turns randomly by card draw, and you're allowed to activate/control any race of your choice - thus, I can use your race and make them go suicidal IF I know which one is yours, SO keeping people from figuring out which race is "really" yours is a thing.

Thanks Robert, I'll spend the next hour looking at those ones; Age of Gods particularly as I got rid of Small World for not being... interesting enough.

As to the rest of the posts on this thread, if you don't think it's a bargain, either shut up or (if you want to be helpful) point out better deals. Obviously Tanga gets a head up if you want 2-6 of the same thing, loses out if you only make 1 or 2 bulk purchases a year. That doesn't really deserve an argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chaney
United Kingdom
Dry Drayton
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ceej wrote:
DainHarper wrote:

I think of the games listed above, Carpe Astra is the only one I've actually played - and, to be honest, I don't know if I'd recommend it, although at under $10 shipped it's probably worth having. Oh, I've also played Skyline 3000, but I was underwhelmed. It would probably work better with 3-4 players, but the two-player game seemed pointless unless we were doing something wrong.

Ceej wrote:
I managed to pass my saving throw against buying Frontiers when it was $7.60 a week or so ago. At $5.75... eek.

Oh, FYI, they also have Lamborghini: The Official Race Game at $26.50, but I played that at BGG.con last year and it was really awful. No sense of game at all. You'd be way better off with Top Race at half the price.

Well, I'm pseudo-importing to the UK (overseas military posting means I have both UK and US addresses) so it's not such a bad thing to have multiple copies of something, as I don't have the competition when putting one of them up in a European Maths Trade...

Skyline does indeed look a little dry, but I'll have a look at Frontiers while I am here. I own Dominion, but it's worth noting that it costs $50+ to buy it locally (it's tempting to buy multiple copies for gifts, I love the game!).

Thanks for the heads up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ceej wrote:
furtherbum wrote:

I understand that sometimes (often) the shipping on Tanga makes the final price not such a deal, and that's cool. But this attitude here I don't get. It really doesn't make sense to compare the game price and the shipping price to each other. Just add the two together and see if the price is still good. "$30 + $30 shipping" somehow sounds bad, but I bet with at least some of these, if it was "$60 + free shipping!" you'd be all over it...

Of course, you're right that you can't compare them that way. The idea was more than "$30 of games that I would pay $30 for...AND $30 shipping?? No thank you." I would not be jumping at $60 + FS. Many of these games are common clearance items, which have been at similar prices in the past (the selection is very similar to games that Toys for Thought has had over the last year). TfT has bundled shipping, and even a free ship threshold.

I don't have a great solution, but agree with other posters that buying games from Tanga rarely turns out to be a great deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the heads up, and a tip has been tossed your way.

I finally bought Ideology: The War of Ideas after staring at it for over a year on Tanga.

There is a point at which its so cheap you can't say "no" anymore if you're already considering it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Ceej wrote:
DainHarper wrote:

Power Struggle is the gem here. At $11 that is a complete steal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a lot of the ones in OP's list. Think that means this are sold out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.