Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As open ended as Hansa Teut portends to be, I find it a tad scripted. Everyone makes a charge at the actions upgrade and those who cant at least try to block and then use the move cubes action to upgrade quickly somewhere else. Perhaps I am a newbie and just have a lot to learn, but the problem is I dont want to spend the required time to develop skill at this game. During the latter third of a 4 player game of this, Im checking my watch. There are some other area control games I like much better. I find Tigris and Euphrates fits in pretty much the same niche as HT, but I would quickly choose Tigris over HT. And here is a statement that is going to elicit eggs thrown at me...I would rather play Through the Desert than HT. Excuse me while I duck behind a concrete barrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the games you enjoy playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
De gustibus non est disputandum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
As open ended as Hansa Teut portends to be, I find it a tad scripted. Everyone makes a charge at the actions upgrade and those who cant at least try to block and then use the move cubes action to upgrade quickly somewhere else. Perhaps I am a newbie and just have a lot to learn, but the problem is I dont want to spend the required time to develop skill at this game. During the latter third of a 4 player game of this, Im checking my watch. There are some other area control games I like much better. I find Tigris and Euphrates fits in pretty much the same niche as HT, but I would quickly choose Tigris over HT. And here is a statement that is going to elicit eggs thrown at me...I would rather play Through the Desert than HT. Excuse me while I duck behind a concrete barrier.

To each there own. I think that running up the actions seems like a legitimate strategy early on but I have played many games where I was able to win with only 2 or 3 actions. It might be that this game does not grab you to explore the possibilities but they are there.

Check out this: HERE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hot spots will always be the same. In the beginning the actions will be contested and yes, in all likelihood you should try to get the actions first. The "open endedness" come from other parts of the game.

I don't think of hansa as an area control and I don't see much similarity with T&E (which I also don't think of as are control).

In all honesty if you tried a few times and didn't liked it more games are unlikely to help, Hansa is not a game that requires lots of training to be enjoyable. It is probably a game that is not for you and that is ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

Nothing wrong with that at all. I personally find that the tile draws in T&E take away some of the sense of control that I like in HT, but others find this kind of randomness exciting. I like HT for the same reason that I used to enjoy chess so much -- the challenge of finding a better line of play. But I lose interest when I need to start reading books to get better at a game like Chess. HT is simple enough, and new enough, that one doesn't have to read books to remain competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion map and cards for original open it up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
skipsizemore wrote:
HT is simple enough, and new enough, that one doesn't have to read books to remain competitive.

When did you get competitive? arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Maybe I shouldn't say this but..............
Quote:
I would rather play Through the Desert than HT. Excuse me while I duck behind a concrete barrier.

Blasphemy! Heresy! The concrete barrier will not protect you. We will simple find a Hansa route around it and into your city from the other direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Play the games you enjoy playing.

This.

And, also, I'm not sure when the opening moves of a game being "a bit scripted" became a bad thing. When I'm playing chess, I don't get aggravated at an E2-E4 opening. As long as the entire game isn't scripted (which I've never seen in HT even in newbie games).

But, if you did enjoy the game enough to push through the learning curve, you'd find that newbies tend to vastly over-value the Actions track, as others have pointed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.