Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About to send off Powergrid.. what is the best way to post it?
i imagine RM could be quite expensive or is it fine?

(i dont really post too many large packages!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're posting through Royal Mail, sending it as printed papers (which it techinically is...) is cheaper than sending it as a standard parcel...

There may still be cheaper ways beyond this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Send it recorded delivery, as to letter post, that depends on how big it is. Looking at the box they are not going to let you send it as a letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably by sourcing the cheapest 3 day courier service through parcel2go.com to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to get Power Grid in Royal Mail's Standard Parcel post for under a tenner. First Class will only be a few quid more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myhermes is good although they don't have full coverage.
Yodel is cheaper than royal mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
Without wishing to hijack the thread (yet intentionally doing so...) what about shipping overseas? Are any of the parcel2go / parcelmonkey sites worthwhile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
theSAiNT
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I found RM Recorded not too expensive. First Class is pretty fast and a bit more than Second Class. Special Delivery is a considerable premium though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Parcel2go type websites are OK, they get a bulk rate from most carriers and then sell it back to you with a margin. They do offer international delivery and it will usually be cheaper than going direct to the big boys (UPS, Fedex etc.)

For convenience and price you are best comparing these sites with Royal Mail (will probably be expensive for something as big as PG if you want tracking - and I would recommend that) and Collect Plus where you drop the parcel at a local convenience store and Yodel pick it up and deliver it. £4.99 up to 5kg (£3.49 to 10kg if the person you are sending it to will collect it from a store near them). RM and Collect+ offer free insurance up to around £50 which should cover the value of the game.

Whichever carrier you use, wrap it well.
- Ideally, put the game in something waterproof
- Use a good cardboard box, ideally just larger than the game itself but, if there are gaps, fill them with something (polystyrene nuts are best but scrunched up newspaper will do).
- Check the consignee address against the "postcode finder" on the Royal Mail website. Properly addressed parcels tend to get delivered.
- Write the consignee address on the box, clearly, in indelible ink (yes I know it will be on the label you print off, do it anyway)
- Write your return address on the box, clearly, in indelible ink (but smaller than the consignee address).

I work in the parcel industry, things do go wrong. You can prevent a lot of issues by following the instructions above, but do not expect perfection every time whichever carrier you use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Cheyne
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheap-parcel-deliv...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.