Rolly Duckfield

Plattsburgh
New York
msg tools
mb
Hello, it's been a few months since I've played so bear with me, but I'm getting ready to play again this weekend and just wanted to get some clarification on reactions. The way we were playing it was such that one player was completing a movement the other was complaining about not being given enough time to react. Essentially after seeing the movement, picking and choosing at what point they wanted to op fire. Does anyone out there have an amicable solution around this problem, that doesn't slow the game down too much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Marsh
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you asking about reacting to infantry or vehicular movement?

Since infantry move one hex per action, the opponent can react once the first player has spent his action (and thus ends his turn).

A player can opportunity fire at a vehicle once that vehicle completes its action, which could be a movement of one or more hexes.

Given this, I would assume that action cards allowing two consecutive moves need to be completed before the opponent can opportunity fire.

Does this help?

I'm basing this reply on the Storms of Steel rulebook, which I believe is almost identical to Awakening the Bear.

Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RickDintheAM wrote:
Hello, it's been a few months since I've played so bear with me, but I'm getting ready to play again this weekend and just wanted to get some clarification on reactions. The way we were playing it was such that one player was completing a movement the other was complaining about not being given enough time to react. Essentially after seeing the movement, picking and choosing at what point they wanted to op fire. Does anyone out there have an amicable solution around this problem, that doesn't slow the game down too much?

Download the newer ruleset and check it out. With the new rules, both sides can have an active unit simultaneously and turns go back and forth after every action, so you won't have this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
28th wrote:
I'm basing this reply on the Storms of Steel rulebook, which I believe is almost identical to Awakening the Bear.

No, it is not. At least not on the subject of reaction/opportunity fire. There was a fundamental change made to the activation system. The concerns being expressed indicate that the OP is using the original Awakening the Bear ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Marsh
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asyncritus wrote:
28th wrote:

No, it is not. At least not on the subject of reaction/opportunity fire. There was a fundamental change made to the activation system. The concerns being expressed indicate that the OP is using the original Awakening the Bear ruleset.

Very good. Thanks for the clarification.

Now that you mention it, I do remember reading about the original Awakening the Bear not including simultaneous activations.

Edit: By the phrase "simultaneous activations" I meant each side having an active unit at the same time, not to be confused with group activations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolly Duckfield

Plattsburgh
New York
msg tools
mb
Wow, thank you all for your responses. This helps me so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I had meant to post the new Awakening the Bear rules last week, but of course spring came and with it leaves. So my internet dish, which is pointed at a tower 2 miles away no longer uploads. Arghhh! One of the pitfalls of living in the country. I have moved my offices back to our warehouse facility and am setting everything up this week. So again, I hope to get everything posted by week's end.

In the newest edition of the rules (which can be used for all games), I include an extended turn order example on page 2. So I will be anxious to see how you like it.

Sincerely, Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolly Duckfield

Plattsburgh
New York
msg tools
mb
Uwe, the example you pointed out really helped. It is very clear in my head now and I think it will prove to settle the problems me and my gaming buddies were having in the original version. (Essentially when we were taking longer movement actions some were arguing that the other player hadn't given them enough time to decide to op fire and wanted to turn back the clock 3 or 4 hexes. Obviously you can see the other players concern when he has just revealed his strategy for that particular unit)
I haven't gotten a chance to play it with the latest version of the rules although, I did get to play three or 4 scenarios with the old rules. My only concern, and this is very minor is that it might slow the game down. If I enjoy myself as much as I did last time I played, I wouldn't be surprised to see myself picking up storm of steel in the coming weeks after finals week. Once again thanks to everyone who pointed me to the right answer. Happy Hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolly,
I definitely recommend the new rule system. I unfortunately purchased a new and expensive graphics computer. With full blown Nvidia Quadro card, etc. After wrangling with the system for a 6 weeks, I finally sent it back to the mfg for a refund. Their recommended build just did not work. On top of that, all of our transferred files were damaged. Not only those on the hard drive, but also our backup copies.

Sooo, we had to reboot the old system and are in the process of recreating 5 weeks of lost work. Frustrating.

We ordered a new build from another company and expect it next Tuesday. By next Friday, I hope our frustration level will have subsided.

Have a great weekend. Uwe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Imhoff
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe,
Have you tried my IT people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.