United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Good
--------

8 pages of rules - you can (and I did) learn and play the campaign all in one afternoon!

Simple streamlined combat system plays fast yet effectively models the three key military factors in the battle: The German's powerful concentrations of Panzers, the superiority of American artillery, and the grinding congestion that comes of Belgian mountain roads and bridges.

Combat system keeps both sides engaged. I don't know why, but combat in this game was surprisingly fun! Maybe it's the way the defender rolls not "to save" but to "preemptively attack", or maybe it's the way target allocation is a bit of a mental puzzle, but it really works well for me.

Impulse system breaks up what seems like long monolithic turns into something a little more dynamic...

Area movement captures the constrained feel of the battle very well.

Focusing on the first week keeps the action punchy and makes play times reasonable.

The map - practically every rule you need is right there!

The Bad
-------

The map - too many regions are tiny and their boundaries are too poorly delineated. If you give me a digital file, I'll make the changes myself!

The campaign game has too much down time between players. Yes I'm a spoiled player of modern games, but the counter density is just a bit too high for a comfortable afternoon game time and so it sits in that frustrating place of not being a muti-day epic, but not fast enough for regular afternoon play.

The Americans don't really get to punch back, so psychologically the American player has to be happy just surviving the onslaught.

VP track only goes one way, psychologically this also makes it hard for Americans to stay motivated past the German tactical victory line.

The Final Verdict
-----------------

I consider Tigers in the Mist to be a forgotten gem, a game I was delighted to find in my game shelves unplayed for years and just as exciting now as eight years ago. It feels like a modern game, and with a bigger / better map I think a re-print would still be successful. I think the two scenarios are likely to be in my regular play rotation for a bit now (though I'll likely not play the full campaign again).

I'm playing it as part of a series of Bulge games (next up FAB: Bulge) so I'll drop by later and add more thoughts onto how it compares with it's brethren.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So a game published in 1999 now represents "back in the day"? I'm feeling so old right about now! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sold my copy as I could never seem to get it to the table. It looked interesting enough, though I wish it had covered more of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, do let us know how it stacks up against FAB:Bulge one of my current favourites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigers is a fun game which really gives the feel of the Bulge without a lot of rules overhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
So a game published in 1999 now represents "back in the day"? I'm feeling so old right about now! :cry:

Heh, I know... me too. We hosted a Rockband party last night and it was sad how many of the young'uns had never heard Pinball Wizard!

In the case of Tigers, I bought it when it was still "the new hotness" around 2001-2002. I was just getting seriously into wargames and playing solo or by email. I only played it once and was left kind of meh, but now that the internet has brought me together with many face to face players I appreciate it's brilliant playability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I summarized the difference between Tigers and FAB: The Bulge as that between RISC and CISC computers.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43140/risc-vs-cisc-wargam...
Both have similar mechanics at the core: the up-to-4-SP counters/blocks and roll-per-pip, defense then attack. I played Tigers with the FAB designer and it definitely influenced the new design.
What FAB has is an unusually high unit level (division) compensating with more options inside the combat procedure. Temporary support units appear as Assets.

Both are good to very good in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.