Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo play - how to win and a few other noob questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jos s
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I very much like this game, keep trying, but cannot get near a win. Played it about ten times solo* and got only about 24 VP.

Any suggestions for a better strategy?

I tried different things e.g. buying a lot of Criochan cards with the aid of King Caelan’s Writ to get to the high levels quickly. Mass teleports to get to draw more cards in the dungeon etc. Most times I end up with a large deck and a lot of "useless" cards in my hand. And the monsters keep pouring into the village.

2. Mass teleport
When you are in the dungeon with two mass teleport cards, can you use them both?

3. Regulars in the village have a cost of 0 gold. Can you just take one for free when in the village? (not that they are very useful)

4. Thunderstone Shards
Should you destroy these when you can? They do give 1 VP but the +2 strenght is not necessary in this setup.

*I used the "first game set up" as on page 7 of the manual with the solo rules (page 38) and wilderness map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
1. Solo play is not easy. You need a very efficient deck. I suggest spending the first 6-8 rounds collecting cards from the Village that you want in your deck and getting rid of some of the basic cards. This will let some Monsters escape to the Village Score Pile early in the game, but a well-managed deck early in the game will make the rest of the game easier.

You don't need a lot of cards from the Village to make an efficient deck, and, in the mid and late game, you want to spend more time in the Dungeon than the Village. From the First Game setup, I will suggest 1 or 2 Criochans, a Drua, a Bhoidwood, a Mass Teleport, and either a Snakehead Flail or a Summon Storm. Cards with higher Attack are preferable, and I have had good experiences using Bhoidwood to rearrange the Dungeon Hall and using Drua to thin my deck (for efficiency).

You definitely want the higher VP Monsters in your deck and the lower VP Monsters in the Village Score Pile. For efficiency, it is better to have one card worth 5 VP in your deck than 3 cards worth 2VP, 2VP, and 1VP. Sometimes it is a good option to Rest or Prepare while letting a Monster into the Village Score Pile; Resting increases deck efficiency, Preparing (hopefully) increases the power of your next hand (when Preparing, I suggest placing 2 cards, 3 maximum, on your deck). Also there are only two places for Monsters to go (to your discard pile or to the Village Score Pile); your aim is to take at least half of the VP from the Dungeon, not half of the Monsters. When you start playing with a Monster Group of each level (1, 2, and 3) you will find that the level 3 Monsters account for approximately half of the VP in the Dungeon (unless you are playing with the Undead*Horde).

Don't worry about the Curses from the Burnmarked, it is easy to get rid of Curses. I find that the Ogres are easier to defeat when you build your deck with Physical Attack rather than Magic Attack. I have been playing the Kobolds so that they go to the Village Score Pile when you defeat them and into your discard pile when they escape from the Dungeon (as per this suggestion: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8580847#8580847). The Kobolds are a minor nuissance. Focus on bringing higher VP Burnmarked and Ogres into your deck. If Stramst advances to Rank 2 and you still can't defeat him, destroy the Monster in Rank 1 if at all possible. Letting both through to the Village on the same turn gives the Village Score Pile a heavy VP boost.

It is a lot easier to play solo on the Wilderness board than the Dungeon board. I've had success with the Normal solo level on the Dungeon board and Warrior solo level on the Wilderness board.

2. If you have two Mass Teleports in your hand, you can only use the Dungeon ability from one of them. Dungeon abilities are used one at a time. Once you use the Dungeon ability on the first Mass Teleport, you cannot use any more Dungeon abilities that turn, such as the Dungeon ability on the second Mass Teleport. The use of Trophy effects and the equipping of Weapons are still allowed.

3. When you go to the Village you may buy one card. Even if you have no gold, you may take a Regular as your buy.

4. Sometimes I destroy the Thunderstone Shards for deck efficiency, sometimes I don't. The additional XP and Strength have their uses.

Hope you find these thoughts helpful. Have fun in the Dungeon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos s
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers so far!

Next time I will spend more rounds to form my deck and then keep it lean. Letting the -1 kobolds go into the village was already what I did. Also I substracted the VP form the monsters discard pile. Not sure if that is the official rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
I beat the first setup 35 to 21 tonight.

First: A lot of those kobolds? They count as negative victory points. Don't bother killing them. You don't want them in your deck.

According the game's designer Kobolds are the exception. They get into your deck precisely by not killing them. If they elude you and attack the village then they go into your deck. If you kill them then they go into the village stack (the reverse of monsters with positive values).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/770576/kobolds-solo-and-...

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos s
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:
I beat the first setup 35 to 21 tonight.

First: A lot of those kobolds? They count as negative victory points. Don't bother killing them. You don't want them in your deck.

According the game's designer Kobolds are the exception. They get into your deck precisely by not killing them. If they elude you and attack the village then they go into your deck. If you kill them then they go into the village stack (the reverse of monsters with positive values).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/770576/kobolds-solo-and-...

Lee

Interesting! Could't find it in the manual though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The point to me is that the villagers are not happy that a kobold attacked, thus it goes in yoru dekc, not the score pile. Conversely, they are happy that you killed a kobold, which is whyit goes into the raider score pile, not yours (if you don't want it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos s
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To end this thread... I finally won

The strategy was to focus on light and physical attack. I didn't buy that many mass teleports as I dead earlier. I tried to keep the deck lean by buying Drua and letting the small vp monsters go. Never used the rest function and only the prepare function with the last four monsters (to kill Stramst). The falcon arlabest proved very useful. Together with plenty of light (moonstones) I could choose out of more ranks almost every turn. And I used the unofficial rule as suggested by Edward Bolme.

So thanks again for the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.