United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The PDF is larger than the BGG file size limit, so the rules are up at http://www.alderac.com/tempest.

But I thought I would create this thread for questions.

And geek gold for anyone who finds a typo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It all looks good, except for one little thing: I think Jim Pinto would like his name capitalized in the thanks section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an artistic affectation of his. Sort of like e.e. cummings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
That is an artistic affectation of his. Sort of like e.e. cummings.

bribed the Minister

chink...

Chink...

chink...

went my coins

into his coinpurse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed loves hard rules questions, so please feel free to pester him with them in this thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coterie Control: Do the Courtiers have to be completely filled to gain control and the special ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You control a courtier if you have more influence on that courtier than any othe prayer, but you canno tuse an unfolded courtier for pretty much anything.

You do not need to have filled courtiers to claim control of a coterie. I will put that clarification in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) Scored petitions...is there a reason you went with keeping all face down when the knowledge is "open"? That is, if in a tourney setting I could keep notes. I can see keeping a secret score face down, but public scoring face down just seems like it will invite trouble. I really dislike when games do this.

2.) I know that the historical influence for the _game_ was France...but the setting text seems to be more influenced by Venice. Am I correct? (likely not Ed's question?)

3.) I see the Queen escapes the fate of Henry IVth...

4.) It isn't clear from just the rules what the neutral markers accomplish. It _appears_ they simply allow for earlier "replacement" plays. Is this a correct read?

5.) "Open" petitions seem dangerous because of influence removal. That is, if I play to try to secure an open petition my work may readily be undone. Am I reading this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed that neutrals can also contribute to control if they are all neutral...that is not obvious and could IMHO do with a bold for people who don't read the end notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickjost wrote:
1.) Scored petitions...is there a reason you went with keeping all face down when the knowledge is "open"?

Mainly to keep AP people from doing a point count each and every turn.

nickjost wrote:
2.) I know that the historical influence for the _game_ was France...but the setting text seems to be more influenced by Venice. Am I correct? (likely not Ed's question?)

The setting is a mix of Venice, Amsterdam, and gangland Chicago.

nickjost wrote:
3.) I see the Queen escapes the fate of Henry IVth...

For the moment.

nickjost wrote:
4.) It isn't clear from just the rules what the neutral markers accomplish.

Filling courtiers for petitions.

nickjost wrote:
5.) "Open" petitions seem dangerous because of influence removal. That is, if I play to try to secure an open petition my work may readily be undone. Am I reading this correctly?

Yes, if people have the cards tio undo your work. Also, playing against someone means you are not playing for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
nickjost wrote:
1.) Scored petitions...is there a reason you went with keeping all face down when the knowledge is "open"?

Mainly to keep AP people from doing a point count each and every turn.
[/q]

I respectfully submit such people will just then stop the game to try to remember or take ridiculous notes and that the faster solution is just to let them see the current score and keep it on the board (which seems to have a place for it). There is a reason a lot of Euro's have taken this route. If the score isn't really secret it really isn't secret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryon Quick
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Once the last player has bid (this will always be the player to the right of the first player)..."

Is this necessarily true? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the rules, but if Player 4 outbids player 3, Player 3 could bid on the unbid hand, giving Player 3 the last bid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.