Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: solo_variant [+] !2do [+] wipthread [+] [View All]
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Winners

Best Artwork for an Entered Game Category
d10-3 Shadow Agent by Michele Esmanech
d10-2 Shadows Upon Lassadar: The Siege at Dalnish by Todd Sanders
d10-1 Until Dawn by Jack Bennett

Best Horror/Zombie/Monster Themed Game Category
d10-3 Dargon Attacks! by William Retert
d10-2 Dice of Arkham by Mads L. Brynnum
d10-1 Until Dawn by Jack Bennett

Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Themed Game Category
d10-3 Bionic by Jessey Wright
d10-2 Wings of Lightning by E. Nate Kurth
d10-1 Shadows Upon Lassadar: The Siege at Dalnish by Todd Sanders

Best Small Game Category
d10-3 The Unfortunates of Tozlandia and the Tablet of Doom by Andrew Potozniak
d10-2 Dice of Arkham by Mads L. Brynnum
d10-1 Oh My Lair! by Jason Sondoh and Robertson Sondoh, Jr.

Best Large Game Category
d10-3 Inception - Solo Card Game by Lines J. Hutter
d10-2 Shadow Agent by Michele Esmanech
d10-1 Wings of Lightning by E. Nate Kurth

Best Traditional Card, Tarot, or Decktet Game Category
d10-3 Blackie's Maze by DM JT
d10-2 Crash Landing by Rocco Privetera
d10-1 Operator by Cilantro V

Best Paragraph Game
d10-3 Barbarian Vince by Rocco Privetera
d10-2 Bionic by Jessey Wright
d10-1 Wings of Lightning by E. Nate Kurth

Best Wargame Category
d10-1 Advance Guard 1914 by Pelle Nilsson

Best Artwork for an Existing Game Category
d10-2 Global Warming Redesign by Paolo G
d10-1 Utopia Redesign by Chad Mestdagh

Grand Prize
d10-3 (Your Name Here) and the Argonauts by Mike Arlington
d10-2 Shadow Agent by Michele Esmanech
d10-1 Shadows Upon Lassadar: The Siege at Dalnish by Todd Sanders

2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest
Welcome to year two of the annual Solitaire Print and Play Contest! Last year was a huge success and I'm very excited to see the fresh batch of designs for this year. All contest information and entries will be posted in this thread. I'll be keeping this top post updated so everything you need to know will be here. However, I'd encourage you to participate in the forum and get to know the other designers. This is a friendly contest and you'll likely find that people willing to help playtest your game right here.

Table of Contents for this Post
Contest Rules
* Important Dates
* Game Play
* Components
* Game Design
* Game Submission
* Example Entry Thread
* Recommendations
Voting
Prizes
* General Prizes
* Category Prizes
* Special Prizes
Categories
Links

Contest Rules
Important Dates
Entry Deadline: July 31st 2012
Voting Deadline: Sept 3rd 2012

Game Play
This contest should be purpose-designed solitaire play games. Multi-player options are allowed but the primary focus of the game should be for solo play. A good example is something like B-17, which has a two player option, but was primarily designed to be enjoyed by one.

The games should have a decision tree or a way for players to react to the randomness. Games should not be decided (won or lost) regardless of player action (ala Klondike). Also, games should not be two-player games in which the player must play both sides (ala A Victory Lost).

Components
Other than solitaire play, there are no specific design qualifications for this contest. The game mechanics, theme, and amount of randomness are left to the discretion of the game designers. There is no minimum or maximum limit on the number of components or rule length. Designers should be aware that larger games may be built and played by less people and therefore may not receive as many votes as games with smaller and quicker builds.

All games must be printable on regular A4/American Letter Paper. Large format maps and boards are okay as well so long as they can also be printed on A4/Letter paper. (For example, if a designer made a board that was designed to be printed on A3/11x17 paper, they should also provide an alternative where it can be printed on two sheets of A4/Letter paper.) Here is a useful document for determining the margin size of sheets designed to be printed on either A4 or Letter paper.

Designers are free to design whatever components work for their game. If designers want to make games that are Artscow ready or designed to be printed on perforated business cards, etc they are welcome to do so, provided that the game is also available in PDF form.

Circle, hexagonal, and other shaped pieces are allowed. If you are going to create games with difficult to cut pieces, please be aware that not everyone has a good tool to craft these and consider using squares if possible.

Designers can require that players provide a reasonable number of cubes, dice, etc.

Game Design
The games entered in the contest should be new. To be eligible for this contest, a game cannot have been entered in a previous contest and it can't have a WIP thread/game entry on BGG prior to Mar 1st, 2012.

Team design work is allowed for this contest. You can have multiple people working on a single game as designers, artists, etc.

Designers may submit more than one game to the contest. There is no limit on the number of games entered so you can submit as many as you'd like.

Designers may plan on selling their game when the contest is done, so long as it is available free of charge as PNP during the the contest.

Designers may release their game under any license they deem appropriate. This can include full Copyright Protection, a Creative Commons license, or release into the Public Domain. The only requirement for the contest is (obviously) that anyone should be able to print their own copies for personal use.

A few volunteers have offered to make Vassal modules of the games entered into the contest. They will ask for permission before creating one for a game but the designers can also preemptively explicitly grant or deny permission for others to create Vassal modules of their work.

Game Submission
Games entered in this contest must have a WIP/Entry Thread entered in the Design Contest Forum, the Board Game Design Forum, BGG Blog, or an Entry on the BGG Game Page (assuming the game has been submitted to the database). The first post of this WIP/Entry thread should contain the following:
* A link to the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest (this thread)
* A two or three sentence Game Summary (this will be used in the Entry List)
* An image of the game (more than one is fine but at least one is required)
* Description of Components
* Approximate Playing Time
* Links to the current game files. Rules and components should be in pdf or 300dpi JPEG (pdf is preferred). The files can be hosted on your own webserver, Google Drive, Drop Box, or in your personal BGG image gallery.
* All of the above information will be required in the entry thread. Any other info is at the designer's discretion. Please keep the first post in your WIP/Entry thread updated with current links and information about the game.
* This is not required, but I recommend that you use Chad Mestdagh's idea of listing the current status of your game in the Entry Thread's title. (1. Idea phase, 2. Initial playtesting (no printed components yet), 3. Components ready (i.e. can someone help me by trying my game), 4. Refining phase, 5. Contest ready). This will help other people know where you feel your game is in the design process.

To enter a game in the contest, please post to this thread or email me directly with a link to your WIP/Entry thread. The first post of the Contest Thread will contain a link to all games entered in the contest. To finalize your entry, you must make your game "Contest Ready" by geekmailing me directly or posting to this thread.

Example WIP/Entry Thread
Quote:
Entry Thread for Game Sorter - Contest Ready
Designed for the Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

In Game Sorter, you've gone on a game buying binge and you must carefully arrange your new purchases onto your already overloaded shelf. You'll have to creatively twist, contort, and squeeze the game boxes to succeed! But be careful, too much weight and your shelves will implode and scatter your meeples and wargame chits throughout the house.

Game Sorter contains 15 Game Buying Cards, a Game Shelf Playmat, and 10 excuse cards for when your spouse catches you buying more board games. Players must provide 3 six sided dice. The game plays in under 30 minutes.

Download links:
Rules
Game Components
Low Ink Version

Recommendations (Not Required)
Games should have a Low Ink alternative so people can try them without using too much printer ink. This could be a version without graphics or a greyscale version.

Games should be as easy to assemble as possible. Designers should be aware that larger and hard-to-build games may be built and played by less people and therefore may not receive as many votes as games with smaller and quicker builds.

If the designer knows how to build Vassal mods, it might be nice to provide one for the game so people can try it without the cost of ink and build time. This could help more people try more games - especially if the game is larger. To be clear, building a vassal mod is not a requirement for entering the contest.

Voting
There will be a full month available for participants to play the games. No changes to the rules or components are allowed during this time. (If the designer does keep working on the game, please keep the entry version available and clearly indicate that it is the eligible version.) The voting deadline is (Midnight Mountain Standard Time) on Sept 3rd 2012. Players may either print and assemble the games or use any electronic modules provided (such as Vassal).

Link to the voting page:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HB9V8HV

A few notes on voting:
A BGG username is required to vote. The contest is only open to members of BGG. A microbadge will be awarded to everyone who votes so please make sure your username is typed in exactly as it is on BGG. The username is not tied to your votes or comments on the games though so everything you do in the survey other than the first question will be anonymous.

The second question is the general rating for each game in the contest on a 1-to-5 scale with labels of Excellent to Poor. Please only vote on the games for which you've played or read the rules. If you are unfamiliar with a game, please select "Did not play or read the rules". You must make a selection for each game in the contest. These rankings will be aggregated to select the three winning games in the contest.

You may optionally include a comment/feedback for any game in the contest in this section. Again, these are anonymous. I will send all responses to the game designers at the end of the contest.

The third page contains all of the categories. You may vote on two games from each category, with the first being considered your favorite. None of these questions are required and you may skip any or all of them.

Prizes
General Prizes
The prize pool is made up of geekgold from several sources:
Prize from me: 200 GG
Tips to this thread: 1125
Tips to Games for Geekgold Fundraising Items:
* Inspector Moss 2 - ends May 31st - CLOSED - Raised 354 Geekgold
* Rallytaire - ends May 31st - CLOSED - Raised 119 Geekgold
Total in the General Prize Pool: 1,798

The general prize pot will be divided up among the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners using a 4:2:1 ratio.

CategoryPrizes
The prize pool for Category Prizes will be from the geekgold tipped to the Category posts in this thread. (Immediately below this post.) Category prizes will be awarded to the 1st and 2nd place winners using a 3:1 ratio. A game can potentially win more than one category. For example, the winner of the Best Sci-Fi Game may also be the winner of Best Wargame.

Special Prizes
Anyone who wants to offer a special award is welcome to do so. This could be a graphic redesign, a geekgold award for a specific theme, or a professional build. The only thing that wouldn't be appropriate for this contest is an award for best game that can be play. As people contribute prizes for special categories, I will add them to the list. However, because we have some many categories, I'd encourage you to donate prizes to them rather than creating special prizes.

* 25 Geekgold from pusherman42 for the Best Written Rulebook.
pusherman42 wrote:
I'd like to give away 25GG to the best written rulebook. I'm not talking graphics and how pretty it is, but how well the rules are written and explained. Too many rule books fail at that, and I'd love to point out someone who did it well, and wasn't getting paid for it.

* Free build and worldwide shipping of the winner of the SciFi/Fantasy Category from Howitzer_120mm
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
To the winner of the SciFi/Fantasy Category, I will offer a full print and play build of that game, made by yours truly, shipped anywhere in the world.

Categories
Best Wargame
Best Horror/Zombie/Monster Themed Game
Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Themed Game
Best Artwork
Best Small Game (limit to two pages of components needing cut. Player aids, player boards, and rules don't count to the page limit.)
Best Large Game (over 10 pages of components)
Best Traditional Card, Tarot, or Decktet Game. (The game should primarily consist of cards. A player board is allowed, as are a reasonable amount of cubes or other tokens that the average game will likely have on hand. No other components are allowed.) - P. D. Magnus has given his approval to use Decktet as part of this contest.
Best Artwork for an Existing Game - This is a special category with unique rules. Please see the full description in it's category post below.

Links
A list of the games from the contest that have been entered into the BGG Database.
2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest

Track the games you've played to help designers gauge interest in their titles and also to help the players see which games need more attention.
2012 Solitaire Print and Play Game Design Contest - Games Played

My interview on the 1 Player Podcast about this contest.
Direct link to show.
Episode link on the 1 Player podcast episode list geeklist.

A brief discussion about all the games entered in the contest (as of May 27, 2012) on the 1 Player Podcast.
Direct link to show.
Episode link on the 1 Player podcast episode list geeklist

Solo Nexus Blog Post about the contest.

See the games entered last year.
2011 Solitaire Print and Play Contest

Discussion about the rules for this year's contest
2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest Discussion and Feedback Thread

Prize Fundraiser Items on Games for Geekgold List:
Inspector Moss 2 - ends May 31st - CLOSED - Raised 354 Geekgold
Rallytaire - ends May 31st - CLOSED - Raised 119 Geekgold
Deck Siege - ends June 15th. - CLOSED - Raising geekgold for the Traditional Card Game Category - Raised 37 Geekgold
Inspector Moss 2 - ends June 22nd. - Raising geekgold for the Large Game Category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About the Entries
The games in the contest will be added to this item in the order they were entered. I've taken the game description from the WIP/Entry Threads or game descriptions. If the designers would like them modified, please let me know. I will do me best to keep this list current but if I miss anything please let me know by geekmail.

Games can be listed in the Entry List at any point (from initial idea, to playtesting, to complete). Although not required, I recommend that you use Chad Mestdagh's idea of listing the current status of your game in the Entry Thread's title. I will include whatever status you list in the entry list. To change the status of your game, edit the first post in your WIP/Entry thread and change the subject.

1. Idea Phase (Game is just an idea or is in private playtesting. No public components available)
2. Components Ready (Components are available for public playtesting. Players should be aware that changes may be made to the game.)
3. Contest Ready (Components are available for playing. Players should expect only minimal changes to the games in this category.)
(See this post for more information.)

All entries will be listed in this post until July 31st. At that time, I will remove entries that are not eligible for the voting (due to incomplete status, missing components, etc). Don't worry, I will send reminder emails out before taking anything off the list. As a reminder, absolutely no changes to the entries are allowed during the voting phase (after July 31st). Changes after this date may result in the game being disqualified.

Track the games you've played to help designers gauge interest in their titles and also to help the players see which games need more attention.
2012 Solitaire Print and Play Game Design Contest - Games Played

Entries List
Shadow Agent by Michele Esmanech
Entry Thread
Vassal Module by Chad Mestdagh
"In Shadow Agent, the player takes the role of a Shadow Agent, an agent belonging to a Government covert organization known as Shadow Agency-"we don't exist". His role is to infiltrate enemy locations, and accomplish certain missions (ranging from gaining precious intel, to defusing bombs; from stopping smugglers from taking dangerous hazardous material out of the border, to rescuing hostages), moving within shadows, defeating the enemies, unseen and unheard. Shadow Agent is the board game version of games like Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell.

Shadows Upon Lassadar: The Siege at Dalnish by Todd Sanders
Entry Thread
The wars with the Grayking, and his final defeat, have taken their toll. Lassadar's defenses are not as they once were. From the south arises a new threat. Twelve dread barons have formed a pact and pledged to take Lassadar for their own. They have gathered their armies and new allies - the Trulls, hulking brutes that hurl stones like mobile catapults - and have come north to Dalnish, a border city and first line of defense against invasion, to lay siege. The Tower of Dalnish stands ready to repel the invasion but supplies and men are limited. As the Captain of the Guard, it is your responsibility to hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive. Rally your men, ready your weapons. They are upon you.....

Repercussion by Jack Neal
Entry Thread
Vassal Module for Canadian Repercussions by Chad Mestdagh
Abstractly, my game is about being a leader of a free country for eight years. The object is to make some aspect of it better than when you started. There are different aspects to the well being of the country, namely economy, military, civil rights, ecology and status. Different policies affect each of these scales. Events come along that shift these scales and force other policies to the forefront. These events can potentially be mitigated by your actions.

Foothold Enterprises by E. Nate Kurth
Entry Thread
In Foothold Enterprises, you are a young entrepreneur trying to get your startup company going. You have a limited amount of time to see a return on your investments. Buy advertising, win over clients, and put your company on the map!

Midnight Mountain by Michael Robertson
Entry Thread
Midnight Mountain is a dice and card driven solitaire adventure game about mountaineering. The game features a variable setup and as the story unfolds through narrative text on the cards it has a light adventure/rpg feel. Are you willing to face the perils of the Midnight Mountain and climb your way to the summit? You'll face sheer walls of ice, rockslides, avalanches, stormy weather and maybe even see the fabled Yeti along the way.

The Fate of Ishandor by Chad Mestdagh
Entry Thread
The world is in peril. An ancient evil has awoken in the west. Fairy tales from your childhood whispered of an unholy terror that brought the land of Ishandor almost to the brink of annihilation. They were not fairy tales. They were real! It falls on you to battle this unholy terror. You cannot survive this alone. You will need allies. You will need an army. The fate of Ishandor hangs in the balance!

Arival: the Path of the Past by Paolo G
Entry Thread
Your city lies in ruin, razed by mysterious enemies who came suddenly out of nowhere to pursue your complete destruction. Unable to withstand their assault, you lost most of your people during the siege; finally, just before the fall of the city, you managed to gather a group of survivors and flee to the Path of the Past.
You must now lead what remains of your people safely to Res, the place where your ancestors came from, while simultaneously preserving the Arival, the Soul of the People.

Hyperminer by Julian Anstey
Entry Thread
Vassal Module by Julian Anstey
Seeking your fortune, you have bought a mining spaceship, but you have a limited time to pay off the loan. You must fly from planet to planet, obtaining minerals on one before selling for a profit on the next. The blue planet is richer in ore, but you will receive a lower price for the blue than for the relatively rare red minerals. You may purchase upgrades to your spaceship but it will cost you time and money. Can you pay off your loan before the bailiffs turn up?

(Your Name Here) and the Argonauts by Mike Arlington
Entry Thread
(Your Name Here) and the Argonauts is single player game of adventures and legends set in Grecian mythology. You will take on the role of a hero set out to recover treasure, slay monsters, and find a place for yourself in the retelling of Greek myths. The game is played with a set of (initially) 30 cards that represent the monsters, treasures, and gods will become the tale of your adventure. This deck, and your character, will change and grow as you play more games, which is meant to reflect how tales become more embellished and outlandish each time they are told.

Oh My Lair! by Jason Sondoh and Robertson Sondoh, Jr.
Entry Thread
Vassal Module by Vassal Factory
Oh My Lair is a solo game where you control your minion to conquer region, collect resources to summon creatures, and defeat the hero before he slays you.

Barbarian Vince by Rocco Privetera
Entry Thread
Barbarian Vince is a solitaire card-driven adventure game. The only components required are the decks of Adventure cards, the Player cards, and a few places to hold/store cards when in play (pockets, a table, etc).

Operator by Cilantro V
Entry Thread
Operator is a short tactical/puzzle game played with a standard deck of 52 playing cards. You play a black-hat hacker who is attempting to breach a corporate security network. Some cards from every round are fed back into future rounds, so the player must attempt to win by narrow margins to prevent security backlash.

Pioneer Rails by Scott Slomiany
Entry Thread
Pioneer Rails is a game of world discovery, rail building, and pick-up-and-delivering. Aside from the cards/tiles, you will need some colored cubes or glass beads to keep track of generated resources.

Four Kings by Duncan Anderson
Entry Thread
Monomyth is a fast paced solitaire game using a standard deck of 52 playing cards (And two jokers), that has the feel of an epic quest. It's loosely based around Joseph Campbell's concept of the Monomyth. It uses elements of card counting and deck building to simulate your character honing their skills while gathering treasure by defeating monsters and traps.

Inception by Lines J. Hutter
Entry Thread
Inception is a solo card game based on the movie "Inception". Cobb is an Extractor and his job is to implant a thought into another persons mind. Lead Cobb and his team through their victims dream levels. Recruit your team, fight against attacks, withstand Cobbs Ex-wife Mal, plant Inceptions, save Saito from the Limbo and prepare for the final Kick to return back into reality.

"Leet" Traders by Rocco Privetera
Entry Thread
"Leet" Traders is a two-page retro clone of the old wireframe from the 80s you may all remember. You start with a basic trading ship and some money, you fly around to planets buying and selling trade goods, having encounters and either staying the straight and narrow or becoming a dirty pirate yourself. The game is fully Solitaire and plays anywhere from 15 minutes to hours (one game I played took 90 minutes).

Milky Way by Cate
Entry Thread
Milky Way card game is a meditative set-making game with an emphasis on strategy and memory. By matching the terra cards' top borders (the seasons), left borders (elements) and centers (landscapes) - the card player can make sets to gain victory points. There are also cosmos cards which multiply the score for a particular set. Be careful: Not every cosmo card will offer positive points.

Bionic by Jessey Wright
Entry Thread
Bionic is a paragraph driven adventure game set in a futuristic cyberpunk-space-opera universe where Gigantic Corporations, Governments and Underground Societies wrestle in the shadows for control. You play as a Bionically Enhanced Human (derogatorily referred to as androids) caught up in the middle of the Shadow War. For one reason or another you *had* to be Augmented and in order to afford the operation you signed your life over to Cyber Technology Revolutions Ltd. You now work for them as a 'Problem Solver'; field testing augments while dealing with threats to the corporation and their corporate agenda.

Crash Landing by Rocco Privetera
Entry Thread
CRASH LANDING is a solitaire game using a traditional deck of cards to simulate a landing space ship, fighting off gravity and landing safely. If it reminds you of "Lunar Lander" that's because it is more or less a clone of the old arcade game concept.

Grow by Philippe Tremblay
Entry Thread
Grow is a solitaire game where the player guides a growing forest towards safety from the lumber industry. The player watches his tree grow as he expands the population of his specie towards the safety of a natural reserve. But be aware: As trees grow bigger, they also become more profitable to cut down!

The Unfortunates of Tozlandia and the Tablet of Doom by Andrew Potozniak
Entry Thread
Jessey's Blog Post about Designing Graphics for the Game
You and 14 others have decided to create a new life on the peninsula of Tozlandia. The land is lush and plentiful, however after settling life, a dark, secret tablet is uncovered. After years of deciphering it is revealed that the land of the unfortunates will be ravaged by disasters predicted by the Tablet of Doom and that time when these things will unfold is drawing near. It dawns on you that you and your Tozlandianites are the unfortunates! You quickly re-read the tablet and realize that you only have time to build safe houses to survive the onslaught that’s about to happen. All of the other unfortunates are looking to you to help them get to the safe houses and avoid disaster.

Blaster Waves by Matt Worden
Entry Thread
Vassal Module by Matt Worden
Step inside a classic video arcade side-scrolling space shooter. Earth is once again at the mercy of on-coming waves of alien attack ships. Luckily, you have the one vessel that can defend the earth from the onslaught. Equipped with your all-important blaster, destroy wave after wave of alien ships and defeat the "boss" at the end of each level, until the earth is once again safe.

2024-An Olympic Undertaking by Andrew Hagen
Entry Thread
The premise of the game is it's 2014, and you've been hired by a city to get the reconstruction projects for the 2024 Olympics back on track. The previous supervisor randomly approved project starts, and ran off with most of the money, which has left the city unhappy. Can you successfully get the Olympics completed on time, and turn the debts you'll acquire into profits?

Two Deck Siege by Rocco Privetera
Entry Thread
Two deck siege is pretty simple: A solitaire mostly card game that can be played with 104 cards (and some tokens). No dice. It's part tower defense, part resource management, and part deck building.

Mason by C.W.
Entry Thread
Mason is a very simple game where you use a piece of your design to fill a randomly generated area. You score points by making areas where your piece will fit in perfectly. Besides the rules, the game fits on one page, and takes between 30 and 60 minutes depending on how much analysis you want to do. You will have to provide cards from 1 to 8, 2d6, and a pencil with an eraser.

Ultimate Chibi Defenders: Wedding Edition by Jessey Wright
Entry Thread
The fearsome dragon in charge of the Wedding Hoard has rallied the (uninvited) guests to its cause of getting the first bite of cake! The Wedding party must join forces to fight off this threat before the entire day is ruined by the dessert motivated forces of evil! This is a lite cooperative game (easily playable solo) of tactical cake defense.

Dice of Arkham by Mads L. Brynnum
Entry Thread
Evil cultists are trying to summon a creature that will, as is often the case in these kinds of stories, destroy the world as we know it. You have to stop them by finding the seals that will prevent the ritual and bind the creature before they find the keys that bring it forth. Every turn you roll and reroll dice Yahtzee style to generate the resouces needed to find the seals and to battle the evil that tries to stop you. But you have to be careful. Not only do you also roll mythos dice each turn which will send deranged cultists and eldritch monsters against you, every roll of your own dice can also cost your dearly.

Until Dawn by Jack Bennett
Entry Thread
Until Dawn is a solitaire card game in which you play as John Woods in an attempt to defend your small cabin from a zombie attack. With the help of your dog, Jasper, and a loaded shotgun, you must stave off the zombies attempting to breach the four entrances to the cabin, and survive until dawn. Once the sun rises, the zombies disperse, and you can make your escape.

Going Viral by John Gibson
Entry Thread
In Going Viral, you are the director of a medical lab working on a cure for the newly discovered—and extremely deadly—Ebolera virus. You must efficiently manage the resources of your lab in order to create a vaccine before time runs out. You will harvest proteins, purchase and use lab equipment and hire technicians in order to create the vaccine.

2013 An Apocalyptic Survival Game by Chris B
Entry Thread
2013 is a team manager style survival game, set in post apocalyptic version of the real world. The player takes the role of a group of survivors, a rag tag bunch of people, young and old and leads them in the search for food, water, and other useful items.

Arx Noctis by Brian Modreski
Entry Thread
Foul creatures of the night stalk terrified human prey and beasts of legend have emerged from humanity's darkest fears. But not everyone is helpless before the horror. You have tracked the evil down to a demonic fortress, and you must confront and destroy the things that wait inside - but you must move swiftly, for Death itself is at your heels. Arx Noctis is fast playing dice game homage to the Castlevania video games. A deck of cards provides the series of rooms and monster-filled passageways that you must race and fight through to defeat the forces of darkness.

Dargon Attacks! by William Retert
Entry Thread
Vassal Module by William Retert
Long and long has Dargon slumbered beneath the polar ice. As the water warmed and the ice melted, Dargon slept, still, but restless. Then the humans came, swarming and noisome. They drank deep of the earth's black blood; the pain of the earth shook Dargon from slumber. Now, Dargon wakes; Dargon rises; Dargon attacks!

Rotunda Nova by Anais A
Entry Thread
You want to see all the rooms of a new post-modern museum as efficiently as possible, but as you walk around you start to get tired. Can you make it out or will you be trapped by one of those pesky "temporarily closed to the public" signs? Get points for the art you see. Try for the best score.

Advance Guard 1914 by Pelle Nilsson
Entry Thread
Vassal Guard by Pelle Nilsson
Advance Guard 1914 (name not unlikely to change) is a low-complexity solitaire wargame. The player commands a battalion-sized force spearheading the advance of an army into the chaotic meeting engagements fought along the borders on the western and eastern fronts in 1914. You need to act quickly and grab important terrain objectives before too strong enemy forces have arrived.

Miskatonic Expeditions by Jon Dennis
Entry Thread
Miskatonic Expeditions allows players to become immersed in the classic horror stories of H P Lovecraft. You take on the roles of intrepid investigators, unwitting victims, and inquisitive researchers as they delve too deep into things which man was never meant to know.

Dark Valhalla: Prelude by Julian Jimenez
Entry Thread
An exploration and combat game in a sci-fi/horror/Norse fantasy setting with some elements of resource management and push your luck. The game takes place in a military complex in Scandinavia where an archaeological dig was taking place. Something terrible has gone wrong. You have received a distress call and immediately make your way there only to be greeted by carnage inside of a complex getting ready to self destruct. You must find a way to get out and find out what exactly has happened here.

Soliterrapin by Mike Arlington
Entry Thread
Soliterrapin is a tableau building game for the Decktet that uses the scoring rules of the Blackjack/Poker mash-up: Terrapin. While Soliterrapin involves a shuffled deck of cards, it is primarily skill based and will test your organizational skills as well as your familiarity with the Decktet's unique suit layout.

Royal Haunts by Julian Jimenez
Entry Thread
You are an ex-thief turned private investigator with a taste for the occult who enters an old ruined castle in search of ancient treasures.

Post Captain by John Paul Messerly
Entry Thread
Post Captain is a solitaire PNP game of sailing, sea chases, and espionage during the Napoleonic Wars. You take on the role of a young captain who has just been given command of his first ship. The game's missions revolve around the the tangled web of political intrigue surrounding Napoleon's plan to invade England.

A Modest Inclination toward Speed by William Retert
Entry Thread
The road ahead beckons, and you want to run the course from start to finish as quickly as possible before you run out of gas. But looking ahead, some of those curves are a little steep. Perhaps it is best not to drive too fast. Each turn you play one card from your hand, adjust your speed accordingly, and move over the appropriate number of road sections. Taking a curve too fast or a jump too slow results in damage which is paid by discarding player cards. If you cross the finish line card, you win. If you run out of cards or are unable to take enough damage, you lose.

Restaurant Rush by Ben Ritter
Entry Thread
You are a truck stop waitress who dreams of working for the Weekly Inquisitor. Collect enough tips to buy a camera and photograph the strange customers who come to your diner. You might get your big break!

Nimbles the Spell Thief by Jessey Wright
Entry Thread
Nimbles the Spell Thief is a dexterity game for 1-3 players. You are a Thief (duo) down on your luck seeking to steal valuable tomes from the Mage Academy before the patrolling wizards capture you. Dash between shadows, avoid the light and detection, snag magic tomes, sling spells and get out before the Matron casts her petrifying gaze your way!

Wings of Lightning by E. Nate Kurth
Entry Thread
Wings of Lightning is the first in a trilogy of games simply called The Storm Trilogy. It is a gamebook set in a fantastic land that draws some of its inspiration from the Middle East during the Dark Ages, as well as from ancient Greek culture. It is the tale of a determined young warrior trying to save his beloved city from the wrath of a demi-god, with the help of one powerful ally: the demi-goddess of lightning.

Frontier Apocalypse: The Hermit's Expedition by Damian Smolko
Entry Thread
Post Apocalyptic Western RPGish solo board game. With multiple quests to do in a world suddenly trapped in a Wild West timeline that is full of bizarre people, critters, and places.

Terror Mission: SWAT Team Manager by ErikPeter Walker
Entry Thread
In Terror Mission, you must recruit and train officers while containing the supernatural threat. Each turn you will dispatch squads to investigate random events and (ideally) defeat the monsters. The core of the game is risk management/mitigation. You must decide whether the experienced command of one veteran soldier is more valuable than a handful of well-armed recruits. Civilians are in danger--will you rush boldly to save them or respond cautiously to protect your squads? Every decision is a matter of life and death, and the clock is ticking: Can you discover the ultimate source of the monsters and confront it before the city is destroyed?

Cinco Denial by Josh M
Entry Thread
Here we have a very simple card solitaire with a slapdash pasted-on theme without artwork yet(?). The title came from the 5 color notecards I was using to design this to begin with. The premise is a standard 5 suit solitaire with full knowledge of the placement of all cards. A beginning standard shuffling is the only part of the game that is unknown/random.

Blackie's Maze by DM JT
Entry Thread
I set out to design a dungeon crawl style game using only a standard deck of cards. The idea being that if someone kept the rules on their phone, they could usually get ahold of a deck of cards in a pinch and have an interesting game experience. And I wanted a theme that somehow matched a deck of cards. The jokers emerged as the perfect characters. Naturally, the black joker became the evil twin in my mind... and he just had to go.

Zombie Solitaire Survival by Andrew Rider
Entry Thread
This game has random zombie survival setup, with seven areas you must search, make decisions, and fight your way through. After being separated with your family while searching for supplies, you must keep moving toward your family's goal in hopes of finding your family and getting to safety. Even if you make it to your goal, the zombie / survivor score will tell you if you lost your humanity with the sacrifices you had to make.

Dungeoning by James Munro
Entry Thread
"Dungeoning" is a solitary dungeon exploration game. Enter a dungeon. Kill some creatures. Grab some gold. But get out alive. Players need to consider the amount of lamp oil they have remaining, their health, weapons, etc. to determine if they should continue to press their luck exploring the dungeon or escape with with what they have.

Total Entries: 49
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Wargame Category.

I will contribute 50 Geekgold to this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Horror/Zombie/Monster Themed Game Category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Themed Game Category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Artwork for an Entered Game Category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Small Game Category.

Games in this category will be limited to two pages of components that need to be cut. Single sheet Player Aids, Player Boards, and rules don't count to the page limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Large Game Category.

Games in this category will be have at least 10 pages of components. Please don't make your games longer than they need to be just to be eligible for this prize. This prize is specially for complex games that might otherwise be overlooked because they are difficult to build.

This category also received an additional 13 geekgold from the Inspector Moss 2 Auction which ended on June 22, 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Traditional Card, Tarot, or Decktet Game Category.

Games in this category should primarily consist of cards. A player board is allowed, as are a reasonable amount of cubes or other tokens that the average game will likely have on hand. No other components are allowed.) - P. D. Magnus has given his approval to use Decktet as part of this contest.

This category also received an additional 37 geekgold from the Deck Siege Auction which ended on June 15, 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Artwork for an Existing Game Category.

This is a special subcategory that falls outside of the normal contest rules. This category is an artwork design contest for solitaire pnp games that don't have components or have only very basic components. Many solitaire pnp games are listed on BGG that are not playable because there are no components for them. Although this is a contest, it can also be considered a service to help these games get played.

Any solitaire print and play game is eligible for this category but please get the designer's permission before creating components for the game. To enter this contest, please upload the files to the game's page on BGG. Post on this thread or geekmail me with your entries. I will list them here for others to find and vote on.

This category will have a first, second, and third place award, with the total category prize pool divided up in a 4:2:1 ratio.

Many of the games needing components or redesigns are Warp Spawn Games. Lloyd Krassner has given his permission for any of those games to be redesigned for this contest. Here is a partial list of Warp Spawn Games needing components.
Alien Queen Brain
Solo Crusade
Pearl Harbor
Blade
HolyQuest
Solitaire Conquest
Star Trek RPG Solo Card and Dice Game
Advanced Star Frontiers Lensman
Genghis Khan (Components exist in Spanish but not English)
Castle Wolfenstein
Arab Israeli Wars
Napoleonic Solitaire
Spanish Armada
Operation Phantom Fury
Space Opera
Utopia
Hack & Slash
Global Warming
Fallujah
The Horde
Heroes of The Hinterlands
Heroes & Hordes
Heroes & Hordes II
Escape from LA
Pacification of the Middle East
Man-Kzin Wars
Paladin in Hell
POW
Eskimo Expansion (This game is an expansion to the multiplayer game, Eskimo, which gives it solitaire rules. Neither the base game or the expansion have components.)

I will contribute 8 Geekgold (enough for a microbadge) to each game entered in this category. I will also contribute 50 Geekgold to the Category Prize Pool.

Entries List
Entries for this category will be listed here.
Cilantro V is working on a redesign for Napoleonic Solitaire. Details here.

Space Opera Redesign by Igor Mascarenhas
Entry Thread

Utopia Redesign by Chad Mestdagh
Game Files
Post about redesign
Thread about the redesign

Global Warming Redesign by Paolo G
Post about redesign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the list of games that were entered into the contest but withdrawn for various reasons. I'm listing them here for general interest since many of the designers have said they plan to keep working on the games.

Withdrawn Entries
Undisputed by Avri Klemer (Game removed by author)
Entry Thread
Undisputed is a solo card game which follows your career, starting an up and coming boxer, climbing the ladder of AI opponents, until you are finally ready to challenge for the undisputed championship of the world!

Siege of Alesia by [person=59374]John Fairley[/person]
Entry Thread
Based on Julius Caesar's famous battle and ultimate defeat of Vercingetorix and the Gallic tribes at the Gallic oppidum of Alesia. You are the Roman attempting to both crush the forces trapped within your walls while managing to hold off the relieving tribes assaulting your outer defences.

Derelicts of Sin: Wrath by E. Nate Kurth
Entry Thread
Kyle Mason knows a terrible secret about the Theocratic Council. He may have escaped the Heresy, but his troubles aren't over, yet. Trapped on another derelict ship floating in the Wreckage, he soon discovers that a Theocratic Councilor is hunting him in the warship Phlegethon Drained. With few resources and little time, he must repair the FCE Seven (Codename: Wrath) and escape the Wreckage before the Council finds him.

Entrenched by Rich Dodgin
Entry Thread
This game is set in the trenches of WWI, and the aim is to get as many as possible of your platoon to survive their 7 days at the very front of the British lines. Each day is split into 4 turns, and each turn you will have to decide what each platoon member does from a range of tasks including such things as: being on watch, sniping, repairing the trench, sleeping, digging mines, and going into no mans land to spy on the enemy.

Dam It by Brad Nordeng
Entry Thread
Dam It is a solo (or cooperative) game where the rescue of helpless townsfolk must be coordinated. The town is on a river with a large dam during a storm which causes a flood. Events will create havoc for the characters and the weather will change throughout the game with the water rising. All citizens must be saved.

Minotaur's Maze by Indigo Kelleigh
Entry Thread
You play an explorer about to enter the Minotaur's Maze. A blank field of squares defines the boundaries of the maze, and you know the exit is on the far wall. On each turn, you will either discover new parts of the maze, or take steps through toward the exit, but with each turn the Minotaur moves ever-closer!

Death Ship by John Gibson
Entry Thread
In Death Ship, you are lone survivor of a zombie outbreak aboard a cruise ship. The object of the game is to escape the ship. This can be accomplished of in one of three ways: Escape by helicopter (yes, you do know how to fly one), Escape by motorized life boat, Barricade yourself in the radio room and call for rescue. To accomplish any of these goals you must search the ship for special items while trying to avoid getting killed by zombies that seem to be popping up everywhere!

Mission: Cassandra Redeem by Michele Esmanech
Entry Thread
Mission: Cassandra Redeem is a sci-fi dungeon crawler that takes place in a space research station called Cassandra. The player controls a squad of 5 space marines, with the objective of rescuing 5 civilian scientists trapped in Cassandra, which is filled with lethal aliens. To make things worst, Cassandra is bound to crash into the earth's atmosphere, so the player will have to press his luck in order to save the civilians (and their important know-how) before Cassandra is destroyed, while, also, taking care of the aliens, which are closing in on the scientists and the marines. Game main mechanic: press you luck; number of players: 1; playing time: 25-30 minutes

Kung Fu Mastery by Georg W
Entry Thread
You fight against five kung fu masters, each stronger than the previous. You also get stronger in the process: After each win, you add a card to your kung fu style. A kung fu style is a repertoire of combat actions.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth by Murray Grelis
Entry Thread
The Shadow Over Innsmouth is a solo adventure game based upon the novella by H.P. Lovecraft. While some similarities may be inevitable, it is not my intention to create a kind of 'Arkham Horror light'. You will play one of a choice of unique characters exploring Innsmouth, interacting with it's fishy inhabitants, trying to achieve your goals and then escaping with body and mind intact.

Tour of Duty: Behind Enemy Lines by Keel Lorentz
Entry Thread
In Tour of Duty: Behind Enemy Lines you take control of an infantry squad trapped deep behind enemy lines in Vietnam and try to make your way back to friendly territory.

Medic by Mike NZ
Entry Thread
Medic! Is a solo game, set in WW2. It will be a solo game, one of a series of medics set in different wars. It is about saving as many men as possible during a scenario. This game, the first in the series, concerns a medic with the 101 Paratroopers/and or US Rangers/Army on day 1 of the D-Day landings. The others in the series will be set in the Pacific, Korea, Vietnam & France during the WW1 conflict.

Pirates on Deck by Mark Anderson
Entry Thread
A solo adventure for a bold pirate or privateer played with a double deck of multipurpose cards and a few six-sided dice. Each turn, you will choose to hunt prey or return to port. Survive a season of piracy and retire with your riches to rival the infamous pirates of legend.

Hero's Song by Alexander Shen
Entry Thread
The game is based on combat and the combat is resolved using a mix of dice, consideration to where the dice end and a deck of health points that not only represent wounds, but wounds specific to body parts. The game is strictly designed to take advantage of solo play and something based on more dexterity than, let's say, thinking 10 steps ahead.

Heroes Like Me by Cilantro V
Entry Thread
Heroes Like Me is a game of superheroes and struggle. After being inducted into the Hero Academy and completing years of rigorous study, each Superhero Candidate must adopt a hero-less city and prove themselves before earning their mask. This is how true Heroes are born.

Transfactory by Gilad Yarnitzky
Entry Thread
Your goal is to build the largest city on the planet using the resources on it. As you try doing that, aliens are trying to destroy you. In your aid you have your factory which you can also build and add functionality to it. The factory can be used to build machinery to aid you mine the resources, build weapons to protect and fight the aliens, and build the city. What is special about the factory is that you can change its capabilities based the sections you added to it.

Monster Hunter by Logan Godfrey
Entry Thread
This follows along with the idea of the monster hunter games. For those of you that haven't heard of those games the basic concept is that you start out with very little equipment and as you kill monsters you are able to get parts and pieces to create new armor that gives you skills to fight even bigger monsters until you are challenging monster many many many many many times your sizes (think 10x larger then blue whales)

Marching Order by Chris Fee
Entry Thread
In Marching Order, you are a group of dungeon delving adventurers seeking fame and fortune fighting against the denizens of the darkness. You must position your adventurers to augment their strengths and minimize their weaknesses as well as marshal your resources.

Enfield Music by Sam Smith
Entry Thread
"Enfield Music" is a solitaire game of command during the American Civil War. The player acts as the leader of the Iron Brigade, a collection of northwestern men who became one of the most renowned military units in American history, as they persevere through four years of conflict. The game models the chaos of command across a wide spectrum--the player will make decisions about difficult subordinates, supply shortages, illness, courts-martial, and a host of other camp issues between fighting battles such as 2nd Bull Run, Antietam, Gettysburg, and the Wilderness.

Cogs by Craig Andrews
Entry Thread
Cogs started life as a campaign system for Alternative Armies' wargame Flintloque, but in fleshing it out for this years solitaire competition it has become much more. Shifting from the Napoleonique world of Valon to a new steam-driven world with a smattering of magic, Cogs takes the action away from the fields of battle and focuses on slowly building a gang of rogues as they grow their criminal activities to become the most feared street gang there is.

S.A.K.E.S (Solo Adventures Kingdom Exploration System) by Logan Godfrey
Entry Thread
This is a base system that allows an individual to create, explore, quest, and change or grow their own world. Filling it full of settlements, terrain, outpost, landmarks, and territories. Creating a bestiary and magical items all with two decks of cards.

Wend-atelle by Richard Morris
Entry Thread
Wend-attelle is a tile laying game in the Wend family, which uses square tiles like those in Tsuro, etc. In this one, you place the tiles to make a sort-of bagatelle board, whilst trying to maximise the score you get when you run balls down the board.

Summerisle by Ivan Pawle
Entry Thread
A solitaire game of deduction and risk management, inspired by the film The Wicker Man (Robin Hardy 1973) and the novel Ritual (David Pinner 1967), on which it is based.

Modified by Dustin Rhodes
Entry Thread
You are one of the modified. You have surgically altered your brain to enable your persona to be injected into the web. Inside the web however something or someone has unleashed a slew of malevolent AIs which are hunting down the modified. Now you must battle for your life while trying to uncover where it is these AIs are coming from.

12 Platoon by Tom Kooijers
Entry Thread
This game is a tile laying game on a set board. The game is set in and near the dutch city Arnhem where you are fighting as a british soldier in the Market Garden operation. You move through the map resolving encounters and using weapons and items.

Rogue's Delight - Stealing by Chew bacca
Entry Thread
The faire has come to town, the marketplace is stirring with visitors from around the lands and that means only one thing, time to pilfer and steal! With a finite set of cards all at your disposal you must make decisions on when and how best to steal from your unsuspecting citizens. But get caught and pay the consequences!

Mare Immensum - The Endless Sea by Dan M
Entry Thread
The general idea is sea exploration - searching for an artifact. Sort of like Oceania but without the tile laying and settling.

Mortal Portal by John White
Entry Thread
D.A.V.E. the ship's computer has become self aware and has turned off the equal Librium generator and he has altered the teleportation system. As Dur, (The Astronaut accused of being parasitic) You must find a way the "rocking boat" before its too late!

Zombdice by Kil Vati
Entry Thread
Some experiment has gone horribly wrong and turned a deadly virus onto the world turning all people in to zombdice. All? No one little group of unlikely (but very B-film) group of herodice survived, fight over standard zombdice infested territory all the way to the town of Safehaven.

Bake Me Silly! by Kelly Newell
Entry Thread
You've recently invested in your life long dream to run your own bakery. The property is bought, the main kitchen is finished and your friends and family are ready to help to kick-start your business! Problem is there's a gaping hole in your finances due to a loan that had to be taken out to buy the property. You have (X amount of time) to repay your loan or the administrators will be knocking on your door!

Angband Solitaire by Guy Incognito
Entry Thread
Based on the classic roguelike, Angband Solitaire lets the player ('@') dive into the pits of Angband to defeat Morgoth ('P').

Tokyo Express Express by Cilantro V
Entry Thread
Tokyo Express Express re-arranges the legendarily complex and lengthy solitaire classic into something that aligns more closely with the "Express" name; dice-based, compact, shorter playtime, and more accessible.

The following games had components available but were not completed by the Deadline.

Dungeon Cube by Sturv Tafvherd
Entry Thread
I've often found myself wanting to play a roleplaying game, but can't find the people who want to play. Sometimes, it's just the itch of a dungeon crawl -- get into a dungeon, see how far you can go and still get out alive with treasure. So, since this latest contest is for solitaire games, it will be a chance for me to design a dungeon game that can be played solo player (but I am aiming to allow for at least 2 or 3 players)

Dice Drop--The Luckxterity Game by Gregg Jewell
Entry Thread
No description provided yet.

Watergate - The Single Player Game of Political Espionage by Christopher
Entry Thread
The year is 1972, and your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to infiltrate the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee in Watergate Hotel and Office building. There, at the request of our President, you will wiretap the Committee’s phones and gather vital information about their plan for the upcoming election. The future of our nation depends on your success. Good luck and Godspeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got enough reservations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Got enough reservations?

Wacka Wacka!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realized last year that some of you might not know what Vassal is.

It can be downloaded here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php

Yes, you can play it on a Mac. No, you can't play it on an Iphone yet.

A vassal module is not a program in itself. Vassal is the program. Vassal itself is what you use to run the vassal modules. And you will have to download and install Vassal itself to run any of these modules that I or anyone else have made.

Once you have downloaded and installed Vassal, then you have to download a vassal module for a game that you would like to try. Download it and put it into a folder of your choosing.

Once you run vassal, you choose modules that were made for Vassal within the program. On the top left corner, there should be a file on the toolbar that says "File". Choose it and choose "Open Module" from that toolbar. It will let you choose stuff from whatever folder you wish to store your modules. That should load up the module that you wish to play and away you go.

Vassal does not enforce rules (like an iphone game might). You are responsable for moving the pieces yourself. If you choose to cheat away, no one is going to stop you. It is similar to have the game set up in front of you.

In a lot of the modules that I make, I like to make buttons. These are mostly to automate tedious actions such as setting up a game with a variable set up. Click on stuff and see what happens. The buttons that I make are usually pretty obvious. ("Press to draw a card")

I also like to include the rules in my modules. It makes it easier to look stuff up.

I sometimes have to change a bit in the game just to make the information fit on the screen. (Look at the module for Inception.)

I also tend to make a tab on the toolbar about notes for each module. This is where I explain things that might not be so obvious.

Hope all this information helps. I will cross post this information to the front part of the post as soon as I get a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited that two designers have already submitted entries in the contest! I wonder how many games will be submitted this year?

Also, I'd like to thank everyone who has donated geekgold for the prizes. The prize pool for this year is already higher than the total for last year and we're only three days in the contest! Thanks especially to Cate108 who has donated an incredibly generous 1,400 geekgold - which is almost as much as the 2011 contest collected in total! There are going to be some huge prizes this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'll be posting my WIP thread for the Siege at Dalnish sometime within the week. i want to sketch out some ideas beforehand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ideas coming here for a game as well. Thanks for running the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorg Thuijls
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed! I love the solitaire PnP games on the geek, and I approve of competition to get even better ones out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully I'll get my WIP thread posted in tomorrow. Otherwise probably not until Sunday (Saturday is a huge library book sale where I've gotten some great games before and then I run my D&D campaign).

Edit: And this time, not a zombie game (not saying there might not be a zombie present, but not a zombie game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Wanna play?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thank-you very much! I have so much to do and now my mind refuses to concentrate upon anything but this silly contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting contest. I hope I'll have a good game design to submit for it. Thank you for doing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably will end up making two entries again this year. I only wanted to do one, but the other one is very simple and I think might be a lot of fun. My WIP's are about 2 weeks away though. I want to nail the art for one of my games. (the other one should be really simple but I may not get to it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, what about some of the other solitaire games that are in progress at the moment but not entered into the contest? Such as the Inception card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to reuse some of the ideas I had for the game I didn't find time for last year (WIP Solitaire PnP Contest Operational Paragraphs), but almost everything will be different. A new WIP thread will be started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
Chris, what about some of the other solitaire games that are in progress at the moment but not entered into the contest? Such as the Inception card game.

I hadn't heard of the Inception card game so I Googled it and found this playtest thread. I assume that's the one you're talking about.

The designer is welcome to enter the game into the contest if he wants to. Entering any game is totally up to the designer. Some designers may not want their games in the contest so I'm not going to enter anything unless the designer wants to participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [44] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.