Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I've been struggling with this for a long while now. I have some restraint and my collection's not crazy large, but I'm stuck in this cycle of obsession with new games. The games in question don't have to be new releases (although often they are), they just have to be something that's caught my eye and is new to me.

I just got my latest haul from Coolstuff which includes Mage Knight, Race for the Galaxy, Claustrophobia: De Profundis, and The Battle for Hill 218. My high hasn't died down yet. I've been playing RftG against Keldon's AI and should be teaching my group this Friday. I've shelved the rest for now but I can't help but stare at my shelves of 40 odd games wondering when I'll ever find the time to play Eclipse again, or Earth Reborn which I haven't played in months (and I love it!). I've had the Chaos in the Old World expansion since January and haven't been able to use it yet.

The solution is obviously stay away from BGG, but I don't think I can do that. Any other suggestions on being satisfied with what I have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
I embrace my love of trying new games. Luckily I've found a couple of groups of gamers to play with that ALSO buy games so I don't feel I need to own every single one myself.

(But I definitely shouldn't be giving advice here. My collection is too large. I'm actively looking for ways to trim it down.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can really suggest HOW to do that... when you figure out that no matter how many new games you buy, none will ever really give you what you want, but many will get close... if you already have a game like it, don't buy another one or try and trade instead... I guess you're like me, though. I find new things to want but I have no time to play the not-that-many things I already have. I always think, this is the one my wife will play with me... this is one that the guys will like... well, I already have one my wife will play with me, and one the guys will like... why can't I be happy with that? I don't know. Because I had the money to burn at the time, I guess.

That being said, Bisikle was a great pickup, because I CAN play it with the kids. We have other games the kids like too but that one is challenging for all of us, and the skill level is not as disparate as I'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that waiting a few month before buying a new game helps a lot. That way I can measure if this is still something i really want or my attention has wandered onto something new. The result has been fewer new games, but I still spend money on expansions for games I do play.

Also logging all plays here on BGG and getting rid of games not played every 12/6 months helps, or at least it frees up space/money.

Compare the expenses for the game versus expenses doing other stuff, like going to the movies. If you can only assume you get top play a certain game a few times, it should still be cheaper, If notm do not buy.

Hope this helps.

-Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Recognise the psychological phenomenon known as 'impact bias'.

People always overestimate the impact of future events, either negatively or positively. That excited; "Man that game is going to be the greatest game EVER" feeling you get is just your brain playing tricks on you.

The effect it'll have on your gaming life is a lot less than you think. When you catch yourself doing it (like I was yesterday over the reprint of Tammany Hall) you can just wag a knowing finger at your brain (metaphorically) and move along.

EDIT: Morten has a good point. I have a rule that a game has to be on my wishlist for at least a month before I can order it. Every month when I notice the new GMT p500 has come out I'll go look at my wishlist and remove all the games I no longer want. It's amazing how many games you just HAD to have come right off without any fuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Recognise the psychological phenomenon known as 'impact bias'.

People always overestimate the impact of future events, either negatively or positively. That excited; "Man that game is going to be the greatest game EVER" feeling you get is just your brain playing tricks on you.

The affect it'll have on your gaming life is a lot less than you think. When you catch yourself doing it (like I was yesterday over the reprint of Tammany Hall) you can just wag a knowing finger at your brain (metaphorically) and move along.

It actually helps keep it in your head better if you actually do wag your finger at your brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's kind of funny that the person with the avatar of a nicotine-addicted Steve McQueen shares his woes over his addiction to new games.

But, hey, who the hell am I to point that out? After 32 years of smoking, I finally quit only 5 years ago. Haven't had one since.

But I'm still addicted to new games. Why? Because they don't show up on the chest X-Rays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try to think of your games as quality over quantity. Find the games that rate highest in your opinion among your collection and stick with those as something you know will be played at any time. As Jay said, dont stack similar game mechanics or themes. Find one good area control game and stick with it only, or worker placement, etc. I've reduced my collection from 120 games to 30 now and don't regret it. Giving yourself a limit on your collection to say 50 also helps. I would advise on trading, but that also tends to be an addiction in itself as well. Keep your rated 9's and above and pitch the rest if you can.

Reviews over time will help too. Listen to gamers with negative reviews that criticize certain aspects of a game. It can help turn off the urge quite a bit.

Avoid expansions if you can...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
EDIT: Morten has a good point. I have a rule that a game has to be on my wishlist for at least a month before I can order it. Every month when I notice the new GMT p500 has come out I'll go look at my wishlist and remove all the games I no longer want. It's amazing how many games you just HAD to have come right off without any fuss.

That's a great idea. It usually takes me more than a month to revisit my wishlists, but yes, it is rather delightful how easily a lot of them just come right off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy wrote:
Reviews over time will help too. Listen to gamers with negative reviews that criticize certain aspects of a game. It can help turn off the urge quite a bit.

That helps, except when the negative reviews all call the stuff you think is great the negative part... "Well, if that's the bad...!" Hence, I own Eclipse

I have slightly less games than you, but we're each about 1/4 of our collection made up of expansions, OP. That's probably about right - expansions are great because they let you keep playing a game SYSTEM you love while just adding more fun stuff to it... you get the best of BOTH worlds - new game, old game, same time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll "third" Morten's point about a self-imposed wait time to pick up a new game. I often make it much longer than a month, though, sometimes three or six months. Usually by that time reviews have shaken out, overpraise, countered by overly critical backlash, muddled by fifteen threads a day of rules questions and redundant threads, and finally some sort of field of community appreciation which to explore. I always subscribe to the games that interest me in order to see the different opinions coming in. It's not that I want others to make up my mind for me; I just know so many others with similar tastes and lifestyles that they give me a really good foreknowledge of whether I would get the game to the table or not.

That is the final decision point for me after the opinions have sifted out. With its vices and virtues, could I/would I get this to the table? Waiting this length of time did mean I missed out on the first printing of Eclipse, but it also saved me $60 by allowing me to pass on Mage Knight. I know intellectually that it's an amazing game, but given the game length and fiddliness, it just wouldn't go over in my game group.

My formula then is:
1. self imposed wait time
2. subscribe to threads, read ratings, particular those of Geekbuddies
3. consider whether it would actually get to the table

This formula has helped...somewhat. My completist compulsions are still raging unchecked....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty good about not picking up games immediately, Mage Knight for instance caught my eye when it was first released but I held off adding it to my wishlist until just before the second printing and I'm glad I snagged a copy.

I also sell/trade games fairly regularly and don't keep anything I'm not really fond of. My problem lately is that I sold my Wings of War lot and Doom the Boardgame with expansion in the past couple months. This was like $400, most of which I used to pick up new games.

Also, it's a bummer that certain games just aren't worth much to trade/sell so it's hard to get rid of them. For instance, Bang!, Android, and Dixit are games I enjoy but don't love. None of these would fetch much in a trade so I'm better off keeping them, even if I only play them once a year.

DarrellKH wrote:
I think it's kind of funny that the person with the avatar of a nicotine-addicted Steve McQueen shares his woes over his addiction to new games.

But, hey, who the hell am I to point that out? After 32 years of smoking, I finally quit only 5 years ago. Haven't had one since.

But I'm still addicted to new games. Why? Because they don't show up on the chest X-Rays.

That is kind of funny, although I've never smoked. I'm just a huge McQueen fan and that was the best picture I could find. Congratulations on quitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Man, I've been struggling with this for a long while now. I have some restraint and my collection's not crazy large, but I'm stuck in this cycle of obsession with new games. The games in question don't have to be new releases (although often they are), they just have to be something that's caught my eye and is new to me.

I just got my latest haul from Coolstuff which includes Mage Knight, Race for the Galaxy, Claustrophobia: De Profundis, and The Battle for Hill 218. My high hasn't died down yet. I've been playing RftG against Keldon's AI and should be teaching my group this Friday. I've shelved the rest for now but I can't help but stare at my shelves of 40 odd games wondering when I'll ever find the time to play Eclipse again, or Earth Reborn which I haven't played in months (and I love it!). I've had the Chaos in the Old World expansion since January and haven't been able to use it yet.

The solution is obviously stay away from BGG, but I don't think I can do that. Any other suggestions on being satisfied with what I have?

Same problem here, I constantly try downsizing my collection, but efficiently I cannot do so.... I know EXACTLY how you feel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, I'm no help but I sympathize with your plight.

I'm the worst for new games. Instant gratification, thy name is mine. Something about waiting for it to come in the mail, and teaching people new games, and having to pick up new strategy and...and....and....

DarrellKH wrote:

Or the waist!

I took up board gaming to help me cut down on eating out. Now it seems to be battle of wallet VS waist. "Thankfully" waist is winning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy wrote:

Right on the spot! I have so many expansions I bought because the base game is so cooooool, but I have never used the expansions so far (Galactica Pegasus expansion, Kingsport Arkham Horror, Ghost stories White moon...)

The urge to have "complete" games is the enemy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
My attitude has recently changed a bit regarding buying new games. The reason for this is 3 fold:
1. I have opened myself more and more to selling games are not getting played much (unless I absolutely love them)
2. Friendless stats which help me see how much I am actually getting games and what I am playing most (http://friendless.servegame.org/dynamic/result/)
3. And most importantly, the work I have done on this geeklist: Staying Power and Gameplay Cost. It forced me to take a closer look at my games and what I am playing. If I am not playing a game enough for it to earn it's keep than it is going to get sold.

I want all my games to cost me $3 an hour or less to play. If I am pulling that off than I am purchasing/selling the right number of games. If not than I need to sell more and buy less.

Good luck,
Redward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

Also, it's a bummer that certain games just aren't worth much to trade/sell so it's hard to get rid of them. For instance, Bang!, Android, and Dixit are games I enjoy but don't love. None of these would fetch much in a trade so I'm better off keeping them, even if I only play them once a year.

I had the same problem. I got around it by donating these games to charity shops and/or my local library (were you can lend games). That way they will either do some good to a charity (and get of my shelf) or serve the community...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Normandy wrote:

That helps, except when the negative reviews all call the stuff you think is great the negative part... "Well, if that's the bad...!" Hence, I own Eclipse

I have slightly less games than you, but we're each about 1/4 of our collection made up of expansions, OP. That's probably about right - expansions are great because they let you keep playing a game SYSTEM you love while just adding more fun stuff to it... you get the best of BOTH worlds - new game, old game, same time!

Amen! And you don't have to learn a whole new set of rules to play your new game. Huge perk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked at my expansions.
7 are blister packs for Wings of War. (1 dupe) to increase player count
2 came with the base game, Railways of the World (includes Mexico) and WoN Super Industry tiles.
1 I won in a tournament (but probably would have bought anyway)

1 is an actual expansion for Wings of War.
2 are actual expansions I bought myself.

So I really have 3 expansions... and much less than 40 games... no wonder my collection number here always seemed so huge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
My formula then is:
1. self imposed wait time
2. subscribe to threads, read ratings, particular those of Geekbuddies
3. consider whether it would actually get to the table

This works for me too with one more:

4. Ask myself which game that I'm either currently enjoying or have been trying to get to the table more often I'm willing to forego to make time on game night for this new one.

OK, you just taught some people Brass; do you want to continue playing that or ask people to play this new game here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Normandy wrote:

That helps, except when the negative reviews all call the stuff you think is great the negative part... "Well, if that's the bad...!" Hence, I own Eclipse :P

I was revolving around the aspect of money. Expansions are great, but they can hurt the pocket book. The idea of saving money over getting the completion of a game's expansions always curbs my purchases. Its more or less a way to slow down thecollection frenzy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, my wallet got hit for all that Wings of War stuff, but it was awesome to play with 11 players at once, and to always have new types of planes to add in...

Container's expansion was a no-brainer, the luxury containers really add something to the game.

Race for the Galaxy I play with my wife so I'm done expanding it (that's the one I won)

Carcassonne, well, I don't really need that one. I think I picked it up at a discount to add something to the Carcassonne base game when I picked up Ticket to Ride. I consider the entirety of that money to be wasted - I guess that's the problem with going to a new group... they have these games, and you play them, and like them, and then you realize you don't really like those kinds of games after all... yuck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Flatt
Canada
Whitecourt
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I allow myself no more than one new game per month. The beauty of this is that there is always a backlog of games that I really want; I actually have to think through where the game fits in my collection and how much I really need (want?) it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think I have a problem with getting sucked in with the cult of the new necessarily, but that's up for debate. I love getting new games, but generally only if its something different as well as new. Good example: I own five different deckbuilding games. I will keep wanting all the new ones that come out since it is a relatively new type of game and there are new themes and mechanics being explored. Sometimes it's hit and miss(for miss, I'm looking at you Nightfall, you random pile of chaos), but I usually end up with good games as long as I don't have an excess of overlap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Suing
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
In the beginning of this year, I had no control... I bought a LOT of games very quickly and became addicted to the euphoria of seeing the large cardboard box from Miniature Market of CSI on my doorstep when I got home. I'd spend the rest of the night opening the games, fondling the bits and pieces and flipping through the rules.

As a new gamer, my collection exploded from 0 to 35 games in just a couple months. Most of which I never played. I chastised myself with how little control I had and it gave my girlfriend a nice reason to poke fun at me.

Since I'm a minimalist at heart, it wasn't long before my more sensible side started to fight back. We started finally getting through all the games and quickly separated the good from the bad from the ugly and the ones that were found wanting hit the BGG marketplace. About 1.5 months ago, I sent my BGG wishlist to my girlfriend since I have a birthday coming and she had no idea what I would like (she knew I liked boardgames, but she knew what I wanted wasn't going to be found at Walmart). Since then I've forced myself to stop buying any games completely. Better to wait to see what I get from her.

It was a smart move. Now, I'm down to only ONE game that I haven't played in my collection and almost all the games left are games I know I'll want to play much more so they won't be going on the auction block. I feel a lot more in control now, and also feel I know what I like so when I do resume buying, it won't be everything under the sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.