Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No joke, no prank, no Punk’d.

We’ve uploaded our interview with board game designer Martin Wallace. Follow THIS LINK to hear the full audio!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting listen, thanks!

Good on him for being completely upfront about not being a Terry Pratchet/Discworld fan, but still having respect for the lore and everything else. He seemed pretty upfront all around, really.

Might have to finally get around to playing one of his games now...

Did he say January for the move?

Had to laugh when he said about England being cold and rainy, and wanting to escape that! Was freezing this morning, with a thick frost up in Northland - and this is after what has felt like our rainiest summer ever. Hope they're not too disappointed...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnt out on train games ?! Burnt out on history ?!?! Oh no!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming soon from Martin Wallace:

Shepherd - Players compete to create the most efficient sheep farm. Buy stock. Raise them for wool, meat, or both. Bring them to shows to be judged for prestige and money. Breed them. Hire shepherds and sheep dogs to corral and protect them. Take loans (hey, it's a Martin Wallace game)

Lord of the Things (later to renamed "Martin Wallace's totally renamed movie making game") - A cooperative game where players set out to make the most ambitious trilogy of movies of all time all while building massive support infrastructure for the project in a country that had primarily been known for sheep herding, funny looking animals, and being confused with Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacjames wrote:
Interesting listen, thanks!

Good on him for being completely upfront about not being a Terry Pratchet/Discworld fan, but still having respect for the lore and everything else. He seemed pretty upfront all around, really.

Might have to finally get around to playing one of his games now...

Did he say January for the move?

Had to laugh when he said about England being cold and rainy, and wanting to escape that! Was freezing this morning, with a thick frost up in Northland - and this is after what has felt like our rainiest summer ever. Hope they're not too disappointed...!

Yes, Martin was very easy to talk to and very conversational - we chatted for close to an hour all up.

Yep, he's aiming for early January. We've actually known about the potential move since February and have been biting our tongues ever since!

And if you're after a Martin Wallace game that's easy to pick up, I can't recommend Discworld: Ankh-Morpork enough. As he said, it isn't a gamer's game as such - it's ideal for new folk and is really easy to play. I'm not much of a Discworld fan myself, but that really doesn't seem to matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:
Burnt out on train games ?! Burnt out on history ?!?! Oh no!

There, there. It'll be okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Good scoop there, David. Wish Martin all the best for his move and hope to see him around sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheree Garratt
New Zealand
Te Awamutu
Waipa District
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtesting....yes please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, the Halifax Hammer sucked, but he didn't have to go into exile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We thought we had him. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
batcut wrote:

He really should have gone for permanent residency in Australia, because then you get a free NZ residency visa thrown in like some cheap booby prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a fantastic new game coming out soon.

Settlers of New Zealand.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven De Toni
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:

Settlers of New Zealand.

- Pauli

Australia has more sheep than N.Z and marginally more than the U.K, so that should be 'Sheep that conquered Australia'.

Now if we can make a game about exterminating pests in the New Zealand bush, ranging from stoats, weasels, feral cats to the 80 million Australasian possums in N.Z, it would be entertaining in a N.Z kind of way.

The goal the game could be either implementing some poisoning or trapping scheme. Or an industry to convert possums to a commercial product that then funds more trapping of possums. Reduced possums then increase wild life in these areas and attract more tourists which could earn you more income (selling possum products) and prestige (victory points).

Steve.

Oh, and thanks David for the interview. It was interesting to hear Martin's points of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that NZ residency visas are extremely hard to get. Is there a game designer exemption?cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:
I was under the impression that NZ residency visas are extremely hard to get. Is there a game designer exemption?cool

I think they're fairly easy to get for members of the Commonwealth - long live the Queen!*

* But then is super difficult for us to get residency anywhere aside from Australia, so go figure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will be interesting to see how the move to NZ influences his game designs of the future.

How many games in before a game features sheep? Perhaps a game on NZ history on the horizon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:

Settlers of New Zealand.

- Pauli

Baaaah! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Nowadays dairy farming is the dominant agriculture in New Zealand, and the NZ company Fonterra is, I believe, the largest exporter of dairy products in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Anderson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacjames wrote:
The Grinch wrote:

I think they're fairly easy to get for members of the Commonwealth - long live the Queen!*

* But then is super difficult for us to get residency anywhere aside from Australia, so go figure...

I doubt there is any Commonwealth preference. Speaking English gives you a slight advantage, a job offer is better and bringing lots of money works wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ianne wrote:
isaacjames wrote:
The Grinch wrote:

I doubt there is any Commonwealth preference. Speaking English gives you a slight advantage, a job offer is better and bringing lots of money works wonders.

The thing that will help is he is bringing his own job with him. So foreign money coming into the country, and he won't have to prove he won't be taking a job away from a NZer. Officials like that in an immigrant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news. Looking forward to testing some of his new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:

Settlers of New Zealand.

- Pauli

I'd have thought if it was a Wallace title then "A Few Acres of Sheep" would have been more appropriate ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperSize wrote:
paulidale wrote:

Settlers of New Zealand.

- Pauli

I'd have thought if it was a Wallace title then "A Few Acres of Sheep" would have been more appropriate ;-)

Last Train to Paihiatua?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn finally the New Zealanders have cheaper shipping on a game than I will...unless the keep the head quarters in England.
Seriously, shipping pallets of games to New Zealand sounds really expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.