Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, one of my interests is in designing and building miniatures terrain, and I've always felt that Descent deserves some awesome dungeon 3D terrain to go with it. There are issues surrounding this (how to create walls on a 2D board without changing the actual layout, without adding/removing floor squares, etc.) However, one major issue with Descent v.1 was always that the floor had added extras, unique to each scenario. Pits, water, lava, and all the rest. It was glorious!

However ... none of the photos of dungeon layouts, nor of the unpunched cardstock sheets in the displays, show any of those old floor-tile extras. No lava, no water, no pits.

Am I wrong? Did I miss a photo?

Because if not ... well, that's rather sad! I loved the customizability of Descent, and I'd hate to lose that.

And I'd hate to have future expansions add it as an afterthought.

And I'd really hate to make new terrain that suddenly didn't work for the game I'd designed it for (but that's just me bitching).

Anybody spot any lava/pits/water/webs etc. in the shots so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all part of the "streamlining". Those extras just slowed the game down...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They appear to be printed directly on the boards now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

This isn't completely untrue; having to find and place all the appropriate obstacle markers DID take some time. Maybe only a few minutes per area, but in larger dungeons that can add up.

Of course, I'm guessing that the square size will be the same and that you can just use your D1E stuff in the new game if you want, and it would probably work just fine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, making custom terrain is rather time-consuming, and if I created stuff exactly as the maptiles are printed, without customizability options, and *then* an expansion came out that added them, that'd cheese me off big-time!

Plus ... OH, I don't know, it was so cool to be able to make scenarios that had tactically-interesting facets based on the terrain. Cutting down on those options might save a little time, but it also reduces an awful lot of the fun and replayability for me.

Granted, it *did* get a little crazy with the tokens by the end, but the core idea was so fun and useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
shnar wrote:

This isn't completely untrue;

I never said it was untrue. It did slow the game down, and 2nd Ed is all about "streamlining" the game. Not having to place a lot of board components speeds things up. Not having to worry about where your figure moves on the board speeds things up. Not having to remember what effect different spaces will have on your figures speeds things up, etc.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Not having to worry about where your figure moves on the board speeds things up. Not having to remember what effect different spaces will have on your figures speeds things up, etc.

These may be true, but I'm not sure how that relates to D2E; the tiles look like they have terrain printed on them, and I haven't seen anything to indicate they don't have effect on gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
BodhiWolff wrote:
Well, making custom terrain is rather time-consuming, and if I created stuff exactly as the maptiles are printed, without customizability options, and *then* an expansion came out that added them, that'd cheese me off big-time!

Plus ... OH, I don't know, it was so cool to be able to make scenarios that had tactically-interesting facets based on the terrain. Cutting down on those options might save a little time, but it also reduces an awful lot of the fun and replayability for me.

Granted, it *did* get a little crazy with the tokens by the end, but the core idea was so fun and useful!

I'm willing to bet the effects of different terrain (which is now printed directly on the tiles) will be specified in each scenario. So for example, in one scenario the "water" squares will simply prevent hero movement, in another maybe an evil mage who can cast lightning spells will cause double damage to any hero standing in or adjacent to a water square, in another certain monsters will spawn from the water squares, etc.

So although there's less variation in geographical configurations, there's a lot more variety in game effects (which to me is more important).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Hold onto your first edition - all those terrain effects and tiles are sure to come in handy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
Not having to worry about where your figure moves on the board speeds things up.

It's true that they appear to have cut the majority of the modular terrain, but I was sort of assuming they'd still have a few tokens for things like traps. Has there been any new information I may have missed that suggests they've removed pits?

Last I checked, the notion that there won't be any modular terrain was deduced from the observation that the token count in 2e was substantially smaller than the token count in 1e, combined with the observation that all of the tiles we've seen in screen shots seem to have a lot of terrain-looking stuff printed on them.

That said, the token count in 2e isn't zero. Cutting lava and fog and mud, etc makes sense to speed up gameplay. Cutting pits and rubble (as trap tokens) would be pretty sad. Maybe there won't be as many of them as 1e had, but I thought there would still be a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
shnar wrote:
Not having to worry about where your figure moves on the board speeds things up.

It's true that they appear to have cut the majority of the modular terrain, but I was sort of assuming they'd still have a few tokens for things like traps. Has there been any new information I may have missed that suggests they've removed pits?

Last I checked, the notion that there won't be any modular terrain was deduced from the observation that the token count in 2e was substantially smaller than the token count in 1e, combined with the observation that all of the tiles we've seen in screen shots seem to have a lot of terrain-looking stuff printed on them.

That said, the token count in 2e isn't zero. Cutting lava and fog and mud, etc makes sense to speed up gameplay. Cutting pits and rubble (as trap tokens) would be pretty sad. Maybe there won't be as many of them as 1e had, but I thought there would still be a few.

There may be pit tokens, but I doubt rubble tokens. Basically, any "dynamic" board element may still be represented by tokens (like traps), but any static board element is now pre-printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Stewi wrote:
shnar wrote:

There may be pit tokens, but I doubt rubble tokens. Basically, any "dynamic" board element may still be represented by tokens (like traps), but any static board element is now pre-printed.

We might still get some 'rubble' type tokens. There WAS mention in the previews of the possibility of heroes having to pass a skill check to move a 'boulder'. Probably easiest to represent something like that with a token (so it could be removed if the check was passed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are definitely still traps, but I have a feeling they will be instant effect traps in the flavor of pass skill check or suffer this damage for one turn. So a pit trap would be if fail lose one action but there would be no marker to put on the table (sonce that slows things down).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete C

Florida
msg tools
mb
How much of the reduction of these components is really due to a "streamlining of the game" rather than rising production costs and a desire to keep the street price down?

On a side note, I don't understand the format of this forum interface...which reply button do I hit just to add to the conversation...the one from the original post? Seems a bit...fiddly if you asked me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I suspect that since they are going with obstacles printed directly on the map pieces that we will see lava, fog, etc. directly on the expansion map pieces. Seems to me that expansions may consist of a new campaign, new tiles, new cards, and maybe a couple new monsters.

But I'm still keeping all my 1e components

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OrlandoPete wrote:
How much of the reduction of these components is really due to a "streamlining of the game" rather than rising production costs and a desire to keep the street price down?

On a side note, I don't understand the format of this forum interface...which reply button do I hit just to add to the conversation...the one from the original post? Seems a bit...fiddly if you asked me.

Could be a mixture of both, killing two birds with one stone (streamlining and making production more cost effective).

As for the forum, I love it. I can reply at any point and it sticks it on the bottom. I don't have to scroll down to a "reply" button, then scroll back and forth to read the post I'm referring to.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
OrlandoPete wrote:

Could be a mixture of both, killing two birds with one stone (streamlining and making production more cost effective).

I'm not convinced that "streamlining" necessarily always means "make things take less time" (although they are often related). Sometimes I think "streamlining" just means reducing tedium. While I didn't mind the original terrain, setting up each area WAS rather tedious, and I don't mind having pre-printed terrain, though like others I'll be keeping my 1E terrain as well for custom quests.

Quote:
As for the forum, I love it. I can reply at any point and it sticks it on the bottom. I don't have to scroll down to a "reply" button, then scroll back and forth to read the post I'm referring to.

These forums are pretty slick overall I like that part as well. I often like using the "quick quote" feature when I want to quote multiple people at once without having to go back and forth with my reply, also; Quick Quote, snag the part I want, paste it into my "full" response wherever that may be (probably in another Quick Quote window).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.