The Resistance» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Operation: Oops rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played this this past Saturday and thought it would be interesting to post what happened. We played with several new players so they were still feeling out the strategies. There were 7 of us so 4 resistance and 3 spies: very challenging for the resistance to win but we went with it anyway.

The roles were distributed in the following manner around the table:

S(1) R(2) R(3)

------------------- R(4)

S(7) R(6) S(5)

R = Resistance
S = Spy

Mission 1:
#1 was the leader. Mission cards were passed to player #1 and player #2. We voted to accept the mission and it went through without a hitch. In my experience, the first mission is rarely voted down and almost always passes. As there were only 2 people going on the mission, it would be easier to pick out the spy if the mission failed. A good tactic for spies is to pass the mission and bide his/her time when real damage can be done.

Mission 2:
#2 was the leader. With 3 individuals going on the mission, it was more tempting for a spy to fail a mission. Mission cards were passed to player 1, 2, and 3. This mission was voted to go through and the mission failed. So paranoia ensued.

Mission 3:
#3 was the leader. This is where things took a turn for the worse for the resistance. 3 individuals needed to go on the mission so mission cards were given to 3, 4 and 5. Voting went through fine but when it came to the mission, it failed. What was unexpected was that 2 mission failed cards came up. Everyone was shocked! It was completely unexpected. Knowing that the left side of the table had most of the spies, I immediately knew that someone accidentally voted wrong. I know it's in the rules that resistance can't vote to fail a mission but...we let the chaos ensue and I laughed malevolently under my breath.

Mission 4:
#4 was the leader. With 4 people needed for the mission, yelling and screaming started. Player 3 (who I believe voted incorrectly) started to put his reputation on the line saying "I can't believe you don't trust me" and "I'm a bad liar so I can't be a spy." With the focus of the spies being shifted to the right side of the table, the leader picked 1, 2, 4 and 7, hoping to have the mission pass since there was only 1 spy on the left side of the table. Or so he thought. With the vote going through, he did not anticipate mission 4 failing. Silence....then swearing..

Mission 5:
Didn't even get here

Hopefully I documented this properly but all in all, it was a great night of gaming. Very emotional to say the least!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I hate it when that happens. We once had a guy fail a mission ON PURPOSE because he didn't want people 'to know he was a spy when he was a spy the next time'. GAAAAH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
As a spy witnessing a Resistance screw up, it's really best to do the honorable thing and claim a redeal must occur. Spy wins should be as despicably honorable as possible.

Also...you guys didn't vote down a single mission proposal? That's crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that's newbie, Clyde.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually I was going to stop the game but it was the last one of the night and likely wasn't going to be another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One time I thought I was a spy, and didn't realize I wasn't a spy.

I woke up and say two of the three spies.

Two of the other spies saw me and not their third actual spy.

The third actual spy saw 3 spies awake. and gave me a confused look, which only I saw...

Some how, even with too many spies, we managed to lose...

*EDIT removed redundant redundancies*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carbonfiber25 wrote:
We played this this past Saturday and thought it would be interesting to post what happened. We played with several new players so they were still feeling out the strategies. There were 7 of us so 4 resistance and 3 spies: very challenging for the resistance to win but we went with it anyway.

The roles were distributed in the following manner around the table:

S(1) R(2) R(3)

------------------- R(4)

S(7) R(6) S(5)

R = Resistance
S = Spy

Mission 1:
#1 was the leader. Mission cards were passed to player #1 and player #2. We voted to accept the mission and it went through without a hitch. In my experience, the first mission is rarely voted down and almost always passes. As there were only 2 people going on the mission, it would be easier to pick out the spy if the mission failed. A good tactic for spies is to pass the mission and bide his/her time when real damage can be done.

Mission 2:
#2 was the leader. With 3 individuals going on the mission, it was more tempting for a spy to fail a mission. Mission cards were passed to player 1, 2, and 3. This mission was voted to go through and the mission failed. So paranoia ensued.

Mission 3:
#3 was the leader. This is where things took a turn for the worse for the resistance. 3 individuals needed to go on the mission so mission cards were given to 3, 4 and 5. Voting went through fine but when it came to the mission, it failed. What was unexpected was that 2 mission failed cards came up. Everyone was shocked! It was completely unexpected. Knowing that the left side of the table had most of the spies, I immediately knew that someone accidentally voted wrong. I know it's in the rules that resistance can't vote to fail a mission but...we let the chaos ensue and I laughed malevolently under my breath.

Mission 4:
#4 was the leader. With 4 people needed for the mission, yelling and screaming started. Player 3 (who I believe voted incorrectly) started to put his reputation on the line saying "I can't believe you don't trust me" and "I'm a bad liar so I can't be a spy." With the focus of the spies being shifted to the right side of the table, the leader picked 1, 2, 4 and 7, hoping to have the mission pass since there was only 1 spy on the left side of the table. Or so he thought. With the vote going through, he did not anticipate mission 4 failing. Silence....then swearing..

Mission 5:
Didn't even get here

Hopefully I documented this properly but all in all, it was a great night of gaming. Very emotional to say the least!

You need to vote No more often than not.

The Resistance is a game of information, so you should try to learn as much information as possible. Treat each vote as a chance to learn something.

If you only vote once and then go on a mission you've missed out on 4 more chances to figure ANYTHING out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
One time I thought I was a spy, and didn't realize I wasn't a spy.

I woke up and say two of the three spies.

Two of the other spies saw me and not their third actual spy.

The third actual spy saw 3 spies awake. and gave me a confused look, which only I saw...

Some how even with too many spies, we somehow managed to lose...

Heh. I managed to hand out 3 spy cards in a 6 player game once, but I stopped it. They only saw each other, too, but I looked up and saw them see each other and not me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game is only fun if noone cheats. I once had a session where I and another player was the spy (6 player game), a mission went where only Resistance members were on it, and it failed somehow. We gave each other a look but held our tongues. Much mocking was doled out afterwards.

Two questions:

1) Did 2 players fail mission 4? You realize that needs to happen in a 7+ player game for mission 4 to be considered a spy victory

*edit* I now see it did *end edit*

2) Did you play with the plot "expansion"?

Sounded like a fun, if slightly irritating, session!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.