Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Forster
United States
Oregon City
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been enjoying the A&A Miniatures so much and I'd like to see how other players use these.
I've been doing battles with a couple buddies with anywhere from 150 build points to our most recent massive Kursk setup with well over 1000 points per side.

We can play a 150 point game in less than an hour.

My favorite size seems to be around 250 using 2 or 3 maps.

I've done one battle with 600 points per side which played in around 3 hours.

My biggest battle so far has 1900 points on the Russian side and 1300 points on the German side. We tried to set up a historically accurate (with what we had...) Kursk. It played surprisingly fast. Most of the Germans were (except some Tigers) were destroyed in around 3 hours. It was awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the miniatures with the Command Decision: Test of Battle rule set and play historically accurate scenarios. I prefer to play scenarios that have an actual basis in history, with the units that were actually involved. A points matching system seems more for fantasy or gladiatorial type games than a historical simulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got a chance to play this for the first time maybe a month or so ago, although I've been collecting a few here and there for maybe the last 5 or 6 months. Several of my friends in our game group are big WWII fans (me too!) and had been interested in this game for a while and kept urging me to take a look at the rules. (I'm the old-timer veteran gamer of our group and am usually the one to 'investigate' new games.) I waded through the Expanded Rules, we've played twice so far, and now everyone's excitedly planning on starting with half a case each and then some singles.

So far we've played teams of two on two with a hundred points per player. We haven't used any year limits, and I don't know if we ever will considering that our players aren't likely to ever have enough variety of minis owned to allow limits by year. The scenario scene sounded kind of cool too, but, again, I don't believe we're ever going to have the numbers and variety of miniatures needed to pull off most of the scenarios out there, particularly since none of the official ones I've looked at seem to list a point value or suggestions for alternate units if you don't have exactly the pieces listed.

So, for the time being, we've simply played kill everything battles of only 100 points or so. Once everyone has some minis of their own to build forces with, we're going to try some larger point battles as well as start using the "Objectives" rules so that players still have a chance to win even if they can't quite finish off that nigh invulnerable King Tiger hiding over there in the treeline. laugh

Once I know what nations everyone prefers, I may suggest some homebrewed scenarios built around what we've got, but we'll likely stick with straight up build your force and duke it out for the objective battles for the most part, of only a couple hundred points at the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i use EXPANDED RULES, my friends introduce me in the game in North Africa set, and only vehicules v2 we like. Only some proxies for a vehicle v1 anybody want to play, but the v2 collection is so huge.

Always use:
Axis vs Allies
Year of battle
Single Nationality Army bonus
Special Units (limit of 2 per 100 points, alway 1 hero)
Updates cards
Updates rules
EXPANDED RULES (overwatch , grazing fire, enfilade fire, aircraft, lethal Defensive fire)
Official Special scenarios

100 for newbies.
150 pts or more if we have time. Max: 600 vs 600
Special scenarios
In the early matches i remembered using Formations per 100 points, very funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ran out of ideas and you don't want to go to historical scenarios to lose the army-building element, try the Battle Tickets from the official campaigns:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/articles

Lots of options and situations. Only problems are: No early war battles, limited use of minors and French

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.