Popular Tags: Literature [+] [View All]
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since learning of this game (and recently supporting it on Kickstarter!) I have become interested in learning more about this time period. I have not yet read any of these books, but I am compiling a list of books written on the subject. If anyone has read these or others, I would enjoy and appreciate your input!

Tiger: Rise and Fall of Tammany Hall by: Oliver E. Allen

Boss Tweed by: Kenneth Ackerman

The History of Tammany Hall by: Gustavus Myers

Satan's Circus by: Mike Dash

The Gangs of New York: An informal history of the Underworld by: Herbert Asbury

Of course there is also the movie: Gangs of New York. While this may be a fictionalized account, it nonetheless may get you and your game group in the mood for the game.
I will add to this list as I find out more.

Edit: add more books
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
There was also a pretty great Discovery documentary associated with Gangs of New York, called "Uncovering the Real Gangs of New York". It was even included with the original DVD release's special features. Fascinating time period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Plunkitt of Tammany Hall is a pretty interesting read.

It's a series of interviews/talks from a Tammany Hall insider and former state senator that is pretty straightforward about the level of corruptness.

I've not read the Gangs of New York book, but I've heard historians aren't nuts about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
stooge wrote:

"A series of Plain Talks by a Practical Politician," I think that is the subtitle of that book. It is fascinating and educational. There was a tremendous amount of work put into maintaining support; the votes weren't simply paid for at the ballot box.

The Ackerman I've read; I don't know how it compares but it was very well written and seeming to be even handed. I'll recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:

I've not read the Gangs of New York book, but I've heard historians aren't nuts about it.

From what I've come across so far, there are many others that share this sentiment. Apparently it was written in the 1920's and is full of "sensationalist" stories and language. The factual basis and references seem dubious. So, it might be like the movie... fun entertainment, but not for serious historical research. Edit: It does say "An informal history" in the title... maybe he made lots of embellishments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten into arguments about the movie with people, I still like it.

1) I know it's historically not very accurate.

2) I don't care.

3) Daniel Day Lewis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for DDL's take on Lincoln. CAN'T WAIT!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doug eckhart
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:

It's a series of interviews/talks from a Tammany Hall insider and former state senator that is pretty straightforward about the level of corruptness.

Plunkitt was my second source after "Five Points" for getting a feel of the period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.