Popular Tags: [View All]
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With this seeming to be the better of the 2 base sets, I intend to get this one.

My question is, get the first base and expansion and add to this?
Or just start here and go only forward? With the future expansions / sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, good question.

If you are starting with this one, I might not get the first CofG set, but I'd get the second set, RotF.

The reasoning is this: RotF adds new mechanics to CofG, and SoS adds yet more mechanics, making CofG seem like it's missing something to me.

That said, if you can afford it (financially and if you can afford the space on your shelf) CofG on it's own is a great way to introduce the game to new players.

So this is what i'd do.

Get CofG as a trainer, and once your group players or friends are familiar with the game, introduce RotF and SoS (without CofG). This will add new mechanics and increase the game's longevity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would get this and add to it with the next expansion Immortal Heroes. It seems they are releasing base set then expansion that goes with it and intend those sets to be played together. Other sets could be played together but that seems to be the best way to go.

I started with Storm of Souls and am very happy with that decision. The additions in storm of souls didn't make the game any harder to learn for me and give you more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the original base set and Return of the Fallen, but I think the games are best played as independent base set + small expansion decks, therefore if you get SoS you should probably just wait for the next small expansion. Get the original base set and RotF only if you're a completist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the board game of the original, but I bought the Base & RotF on iTouch. After playing that a lot, I decided to buy the board game. I was umming and ahh-ing over which one to get. But I bought this one and didn't regret it one bit It looks beautiful.

Plus now when I play it on the iTouch, I do feel like there's something missing, maybe a little easier

Storm of Souls is a little more interesting with the events and trophies and it was a lot of fun. Also, playing solo is quite fun. I think with my gaming group, SoS is better, as we have new & experienced gamers, and this keeps the experienced gamers interested (they played my SoS copy today and loved it) and new players won't find it too complex.

I think Ascension is going to be one of my favourite deckbuilding games, I like it a lot more than Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about this as a base set, and adding in the earlier expansion as well as the coming one?
Don't mess well?

I just can't see buying both base sets when half the cards are for more players. Ill never have a game over 6 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that will work. here are some custom cubes with cards from all sets that work well together. take your pick

http://www.ascensiongame.com/board/topic?f=2&t=3414

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the heads up.
The second I see Tide of Iron back in stock to push my order over $100, im getting SoS and RotF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.