Subject: Eclipse-A quick look rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
First Thoughts
When I first took the game off the shelf, I was pretty psyched. I had heard a lot about the game and was eager to give it a go. I'm also into games with cool tokens and miniatures.
As we were setting up the board, this dialogue ensued:

Me: Where's the board?
Andrew: There isn't one. You just kinda keep track of your ships by putting them in the little diagrams. The we resolve space battles like that!
Me: WHAT? Thats stupid. This is the #1 dumbest game ever.
Andrew:*Pulls hexes out of box*
Me: What are those?
Andrew: Uh.. the board?
Me: But you said... I can't believe you tricked me like that!

Gameplay
The game is played over 9 rounds each round consisting of the players taking turns putting their action disks on the action spots. There are 6 actions available to players: INFluence, EXPlore, BUIld, MOVe, RESearch, UPGrade.I'll go over each of these actions and what they do a little later.
There are also 3 types of resources: Technology, Money and Supplies.

-Technology is for researching technology (primarily for your ships). At the beginning of each round, 4 techs are placed on the tech board. There are 3 types of technologies: Military, Grid and Nanotechnology. The majority of these techs can be placed on your ship by an upgrade action, but some are universal and effect all of your ships, while others effect other parts of your player board.

-Money is used to pay your upkeep for each round. When you take an action, you take a disc off of your action track. On each space of your action track, there is a number, and that is the amount you must pay at the end of your turn. So, essentially the more actions you take, the more you must pay. Additionally whenever you take a planet and put your influence token on it you take a disc from the action track.

-Supplies are primarily what helps you build your ships. Each ship or space station has a cost next to it, and that is the cost you must pay. After you pay the cost, place the chosen structure in any hex you control.

Your income of these supplies is determined by how many planets you own. each of your resources has a track, which has an increasing positive number on it. Whenever you take a planet you take a cube from your resource tracks onto the planet. Which resources you take off are determined by the colored squares on the planet tile. So, the more planets you own the more resources you will get.

Now I'll give you an overview of the 6 actions:

-Influence
Put 1 or 2 of your action disks into adjacent planets and put the appropriate resource cubes there. This action is not allowed if there are hostile forces occupying the space.

-Explore
Designate which area you are exploring into and flip over the appropriate tile. If it is empty , you may immediately place your influence disc and resource cubes on the planet. If there is an enemy skull on the planet then pu an enemy ship token onto the planet.

-Build
This is when you get to build huge fleets of ships. You can spend your supplies to build any ships you have the money for. YOu may only build 2 ships in a turn, unless otherwise allowed. You may place your ships into any planet you own.

-Move
You may move 3 of your ships up to their move limit. If they move into a sqaure occupied by an enemy, then they are pinned down and cannot move.

-Research
In this phase you can spend your research points to buy any available techs (that you can afford) and place them on your player mat.

-Upgrade
Take 2 ship parts as allowed by your techs and place them on your ships. You must have enough power to run your ship.

Now I will give a quick overview of combat.
Each player has an initiative rating on their ships. If you get better engines you will have higher initiative. The highest initiative goes first. They roll their attack dice for that ship. Normally you hit on a 5 or a 6, but certain techs raise or lower that number. If you hit, you assign each dice to an enemies ship. Ships have health equal to their hull+1. Once one side is defeated or the other side retreats, the battle is over.

-End of Game
When the game ends after 9 rounds, all players count up points for planets, Ambassadors (no I haven't talked about that) and artifacts (if any). The player with the most wins.

Final Thoughts
When , I finished the game, I was just like, WOW! that game was amazing. The way they did economics was very well thought out, the customizability of your ships was interesting. The variableness of the placed techs influenced what you got for your ships and made no 2 games the same. The battles were fun, although if you had 2 weak ships it turned into a roll fest, which was okay. So overall, this game was great and is the only game that has been rated a 10 by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Labora wrote:
Military Muskrat wrote:
[u][i][b] So overall, this game was great and is the only game that has been rated a 10 by me.

Why do you have Indonesia as a 10 if this is your only 10?

Someone hacked his account and rated Indonesia at 10 obviously .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
Labora wrote:
Military Muskrat wrote:
[u][b] So overall, this game was great and is the only game that has been rated a 10 by me.

Someone hacked his account and rated Indonesia at 10 obviously .
Obviously. No, but seriously, I guess I didn't realize this was my only 10. I really need to update my ratings on my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Labora wrote:
Military Muskrat wrote:
So overall, this game was great and is the only game that has been rated a 10 by me.

Sharp eyes! GG tippedmeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.