Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Few quick questions about Descent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kramer

Ohio
msg tools
Greetings,
Had the pleasure of playing DESCENT last weekend. LOVED IT!!! However, a few questions have risen.( I was the overlord.)
1. Can a familiar be used to explore & map out a new section of the dungeon?
2. I'm a bit confused about "exhausting" a card. Is it in play continuously?
3. Finally for treasure, once chest is open-ALL players recieve 100 coins?

Any info would be a great help. Thanks!!!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, welcome to the site - Descent is a much loved classic - 79th best in the world according to BGG. Glad you're having fun with it.

No worries but - this is the sort of question you want to ask in the games forum not in a general forum:
Descent: Journeys in the Dark

An admin will move your post for you so just sit tight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the General Gaming forum to the Descent: Journeys in the Dark Rules forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikie8221 wrote:
1. Can a familiar be used to explore & map out a new section of the dungeon?

No. Familiars cannot open doors, so they cannot reveal an unrevealed section of the dungeon. See also this thread.

mikie8221 wrote:
2. I'm a bit confused about "exhausting" a card. Is it in play continuously?

Yes, they are in play continuously. Cards that "exhaust" can only be used once per round. To indicate you've used it, you turn it sideways. At the start of your next turn, you refresh the card, turning it upright again, indicating that it can be used once more.

Some cards have both exhaust actions and a continuous effect. The continuous effect stays active even when the card is exhausted, as per the FAQ:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark Base Game FAQ wrote:
Q: If an item such as a shield is exhausted, are its passive abilities (if any) disabled?
A: No. The only limitation is that the item cannot use any ability that requires it to exhaust until it has been refreshed.

Quote:
3. Finally for treasure, once chest is open-ALL players recieve 100 coins?

Yes; all heroes get the coins from chests and money markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
That's some fine admining Emile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple wrote:
Familiars cannot open doors, so they cannot reveal an unrevealed section of the dungeon.

These are both true, but the one is not the reason for the other. Revealing a new area does not always require opening a door, but familiars still cannot do it, because the condition for revealing a new area is that a hero has line-of-sight to it and familiars are not heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Also note that Boggs the Rat's LoS only works to prevent spawning, for those rare corner cases where he might get LoS to an unrevealed area before any hero does. It still won't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.