Popular Tags: [View All]
Denver Le Roux
South Africa
Cape Town
South Africa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the FFG version of this game worth buying if I already own Risk 2210 A.D?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk 2210 and Nexus Ops have absolutely nothing in common. So "yes" it's worth buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denver Le Roux
South Africa
Cape Town
South Africa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at my collection, is there anything that I own that is like it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I haven't played Risk 2210...but if it is anything like regular Risk...then the first reply would be incorrect.

There are many similarities to Nexus Ops and Risk.

I will say Nexus Ops is fun, and unlike normal Risk, it works well with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denver Le Roux
South Africa
Cape Town
South Africa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LostRoom wrote:
Well, I haven't played Risk 2210...but if it is anything like regular Risk...then the first reply would be incorrect.

There are many similarities to Nexus Ops and Risk.

I will say Nexus Ops is fun, and unlike normal Risk, it works well with two.

Lol, now I am in two minds...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, that's arguable (but won't). Nexus Ops a skirmish game between two armies, of a more tactical bent. Risk is very "grand strategy", so you could consider Nexus Ops a battle inside a Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
There are superficial similarities between Nexus Ops and Risk. A board with terrain, D6, and plastic units. However, the GOAL of the game and thus the strategy of the game is radically different. Risk is about massacring your enemies and taking over the world. Nexus Ops is about impressing your boss(by earning VP) and getting promoted(by reaching the VP cap and winning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely see your point of view there. I personally feel like the dice roll mechanic feels so similar that I personally wouldn't want both Risk and Nexus Ops in my collection.

Now which is the better game...more than likely Nexus Ops.

If I were to suggest a different alternative to Risk/Nexus Ops I would recommend Small World due to the variable player powers and low luck aspect with the lack of die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is absolutely superior to any Risk game I know, so I say it's really worth to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got Nexus Ops awhile ago and got my first play in and its nothing like Risk. Its a great game and super fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Nexus Ops recently with the reprint and absolutely love it. It's easy to learn and quick to play. It has enough nice wrinkles to keep it interesting and pretty bits to look at. I haven't had a chance to play it with more than two players, but it scales well age-wise. My 9 year-old loves it and the one adult gamer I played it with enjoyed it, as well.

For some reason, I wasn't expecting much, but it's been a pleasant surprise purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: Everything I'm about to say is about the original Nexus Ops. I have no idea if FFG has changed the new version.

Nexus Ops feels very much like a board game version of Starcraft. You build up armies with varying types of units that have different abilities and strengths. The game is driven by goals and objectives, encouraging aggressive gameplay and attack-oriented play; sitting and "turtling" loses out to aggressive attacks. Its a very fast paced and destructive game, and you build forces quickly and get them smashed just as fast. Its a fantastic high paced action game and plays well with two to four. It does have quite a bit of luck to it; bad attack rolls (say, missing with a Dragon in a critical battle) can mess up your day, but there is a lot of room for skill and planning as well.

Very different from Risk, and very worth getting - one of the best combat and conquer games around in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vir0 wrote:
Is the FFG version of this game worth buying if I already own Risk 2210 A.D?

Yes. To iterate what has already been said, Nexus Ops is different enough that it's worth buying.

Risk 2210:
lots of complexity (bidding for turn order, energy chips, commanders, moon bases, water colonies, nuclear cards, etc....all with the intent of wiping everyone else off the board or getting close enough to it that you have the majority of power when the final round of the game rolls around--which could be 3 hours)
lots of options related to strategy (do I want to make a rush for the moon and use it as a base of operations? or should I take the water colonies and use the extra energy chips to buy nuclear cards, diplomat cards, etc.? should I expand gradually or aggressively? should I take out his Nuclear commander, so he can't use those cards...or his Space/Naval commander so he can't mobilize on the moon/water.)
a medium amount of semi-controlled chaos (rolling dice, getting bombarded by meteor storms, having random countries get nuked, etc.)
still feels like Risk...but with lots of extra stuff going on.

Nexus Ops:
medium complexity (you buy units using Rubium harvested from your mines and send them out to kill more units--which earns you victory points--and gather more Rubium--so you can buy more units; games don't often last more than an hour if you know what you're doing).
lots of options related to tactics (attacking is almost always better than not attacking, so your questions are more like: which will be most helpful: buying two rockstriders and rushing my enemy or maneuvering my lava leaper? should I cut off his supply of rubium by attacking his mines, or should I attack the monolith to prevent him from drawing energize cards?)
a low-to-medium amount of controlled chaos (dice: better units have better odds at rolling dice, whereas cheap units are less likely to hit but can be effective in large groups and can be used for cannon fodder and/or mining rubium; cards: you draw mission cards at the end of your turn which you can fulfill to get more VPs, but you winning a battle is still the most basic way of gaining VPs, so you don't have to fulfill cards if you don't want to).
feels a little like Risk, but on a smaller map with less (but more varied) pieces.

Personally, I don't play Risk 2210 anymore (in fact, I'd be happy to give it away to someone if they came by my place and picked it up). Nexus Ops is easier to explain, is much shorter, and is just as fun (but takes less time to play). I own both the AH version and the FFG version and I like them both.

That being said...I think Risk Legacy is hands-down better than Risk 2210 and Nexus Ops. It takes the best of both games and combines them together for the ultimate experience. It still feels like playing a good game of Risk, but because of the short playing time (roughly 30-60 minutes) you get all the fun stuff without any of the interminable lag that happens at the end of the game. Like Nexus Ops, players need to earn a certain number of points to win and end the game, but instead of earning 12 VPs, you earn 4 stars (one of those is your base, which you start with, and the others you can either get from taking other people's bases or turning in your cards).

Then there's the evolution of the game (new rules get added on as you go, new factions, new powers, etc.) and that's sort of like the novelty of getting to buy your own unique troops in Nexus Ops...but not quite the same. It's more like, instead of having to make a choice EVERY turn about which units to buy, you just choose once (when picking your faction at the beginning) and then you're off and running.

Anyways, I know you didn't mention Risk Legacy, but I've played classic Risk, Risk: 2210, Risk: Godstorm, Risk:Legacy, and Nexus Ops (both versions)...and Risk Legacy blows them all out of the water. True, comparing Risk to Nexus Ops is unfair (it's like comparing either of those games to Small World, which is also about moving units and killing people, but plays VASTLY different). That being said, though, if you have a group of friends that you plan to play with more than once...get Risk Legacy (you'll thank me, trust me.) If you keep playing with different crowds (never the same people) and the games are few and far between...you should probably go with Nexus Ops. It's more approachable for new players (shorter, easier to grasp, etc.) and it's a really well made game (I get tired of all the luck in Risk:2210, and, since I always make a rush for the moon, I win 80% of my games and get bored quickly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth buying... it's up to you.

I prefer Ops over 2210 for many reasons:

- Ops is faster at around an hour to play versus 4 hours or so for 2210

- Ops has less diplomacy and more direction as players focus on completing their objective cards, not trying to gang up on any one player

- Ops has less options to do, but is still a fun game, while 2210 throws questions at players such as who to attack, where to attack, how much energy to bid/save, which commander to buy, how many cards to buy, which player to use which card on... it's a confusing mess

I will say though that I think Neuroshima Hex! is better than Ops. You cut out the economy system out of the game which makes the game a lot faster and focused on the combat. You have unique races than just 4 of the same forces. It also has expansions for more players and races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A&A / Shogun descended from Risk. Nexus Op descended from A&A / Shogun. So, they are kind of related, remotely.

And Nexus Ops FIRED any Risk game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.