Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the player i played against had a single human archer go against a dragon (neutral player), and he pulled a single flag. SO the dragon has to retreat from one archer w/ the luck of the "draw" . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, that's the way it works.

The Neutrals aren't necessarily meant to be huge stumbling blocks in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is even better is when you send in a single footman, throw in 1 influence for a diplomacy attempt and recruit 2 Giants! I've done it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slouching wrote:
So the player i played against had a single human archer go against a dragon (neutral player), and he pulled a single flag. SO the dragon has to retreat from one archer w/ the luck of the "draw" . . .

For what it's worth I always assume it's because the units lost sight of the neutral, rather than "fought it off."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonman wrote:
slouching wrote:

For what it's worth I always assume it's because the units lost sight of the neutral, rather than "fought it off."

Or there are also lots of stories about heroes single handedly beating foes like dragons, giants, trolls... It's not a stretch in a fantasy world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So true. I picture the Archer, beads of sweat on his brow, pulling off a perfect shot to the Dragon's eye. It retreats in pain to its lair for some rest, and healing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
The figures in Runewars represent UNITS, not individuals, the battles are thematically on a big scale, Besides anyone remember the hobbit, where Smaug (the dragon) was killed by one arrow....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dedindahed wrote:
\Besides anyone remember the hobbit, where Smaug (the dragon) was killed by one arrow....

Well, that wasn't just ANY arrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dedindahed wrote:
The figures in Runewars represent UNITS, not individuals, the battles are thematically on a big scale, Besides anyone remember the hobbit, where Smaug (the dragon) was killed by one arrow....

Fair enough, let me retell the yarn.

A UNIT of archers “quivers” (singular by the way ), bows drawn, arms twitching. A fearsome dragon snarls, and ascends. The earth explodes beneath its gnashing wings. Rock, dirt and blades of grass pour into their vision and stance. One single archer remains composed (let’s call him “Tim”). A slow motion target forms in Tim’s mind, an impossible shot. Exhale. Tim’s arrow hits the mark. The dragon retreats in pain to its lair for some rest, and healing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slouching wrote:
dedindahed wrote:

A UNIT of archers “quivers” (singular by the way ), bows drawn, arms twitching. A fearsome dragon snarls, and ascends. The earth explodes beneath its gnashing wings. Rock, dirt and blades of grass pour into their vision and stance. One single archer remains composed (let’s call him “Tim”). A slow motion target forms in Tim’s mind, an impossible shot. Exhale. Tim’s arrow hits the mark. The dragon retreats in pain to its lair for some rest, and healing.

I also give named to my lone and brave units. It shows them that to their master (me) they aren't just another number!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
slouching wrote:

OK, let me have a go.

Graum the dragon rolled over and slowly pried his eyelids open. He could feel the veins throbbing in his head, and the noise of the flies buzzing around the half eaten sheep next to his treasure pile seemed deafening. He half heartedly swatted at them with his tail, before forcing himself up on all fours. "I'm never doing hellhound chasers again" he muttered to himself, remembering the last four times he'd uttered the same phrase. Now up and active there was only one course of action to take, time to head out and get some pig. Luckily there was a pig farm just across the next valley from Graum's cave, so the flight would be mercifully short. As he descended over the hills he could hear the glorious pink snacks squealing as they began to react to his presence. A hazy outline against the treeline behind the farm looked ominous. Graum squinted trying to confim if he just saw what he thought he saw. His suspicions were confirmed as a cloud of those irritating pointy things the fleshlings were so fond of erupted out of the treeline into the sky.
"Bugger this" thought graum, "I'm off for some cow instead"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Knox
msg tools
mb
Last game a Yaqui archer drove of two Rocs. 1 rout by the archer 1 miss by the remaining Roc tie goes to the defender bye bye birdie. Stuff happens. We have great stories to regale/tease each other with like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BalrogJDK wrote:
Last game a Yaqui archer drove of two Rocs. 1 rout by the archer 1 miss by the remaining Roc tie goes to the defender bye bye birdie. Stuff happens. We have great stories to regale/tease each other with like this.

The moral of the story - numbers are definitely better than raw power. (I think the attacker got a little overconfident; when attacking you should try to at least have 1 or 2 more units than the defender to prevent this very thing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.