Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

So, I'm posting some ideas for cards, but I'd like to be able to format them. Is there a template I can download or something?!?!?!

Road Builder (4) [Action]
Action +2
Card +2
If the Road Builder pile is empty, trash this.

Coppercycle (2) [Action]
+1 Action
You may discard a copper. If you do, draw two cards.

Magic Tower (6) [Action - Reaction]
+3 Cards
You may gain a card that costs less than the number of cards you have in your hand.
---
You may reveal Magic Tower when an effect from an opponent would make you gain a Curse to have that player gain two Curses instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are templates but I don't know of any off the top of my head. Generally people use proxies (e.g. blank cards or other cards) or get them made from a site like artscow.

Anyway judging from the fact you've posted these I guess you want feedback on the cards?

Road Builder is actually a very interesting mechanic, one I don't think I've seen suggested before! But the card itself is probably too powerful early in the game, and quite often for the entire game. In a two player game, both players are going to want to buy these since they're so powerful. When the pile gets low, the player whose behind (on quantity of them) will keep buying them, until the whole stack disappears. Simply too powerful there. In 3 player, I would imagine a similar issue appearing, although if one player foregos them early, he'll probably be able to strike them later to trash everyone else's copies. But I suspect it's so powerful the early advantage will outweigh that.

Coppercycler is just a Stables that can only discard copper and only draws two cards. It's probably balanced but doesn't seem very interesting.

Magic Tower could lock the game if the right kingdom cards were available. Those kingdom cards being any with a cursing attack. I play Witch... okay, you reveal Magic Tower? I reveal Magic Tower to the first curse. As it's my turn I'll gain my other curse now and reveal the same Magic Tower. Now you're gaining four curses. Oh, you reveal Magic Tower? I reveal Magic Tower on each curse. Now you're gaining 7 curses. Repeat ad infinatum. Read this for an explanation of why reflecting attacks is bad.

Ignoring the reaction, the card is a Smithy crossed with a super Workshop, far too powerful. After playing this you (normally) have 7 cards in hand so can gain a card costing 6 or less. Gaining a card costing 6 or less is already an okay $6, I'd think. Add +3 cards, and this would be far too powerful. Especially as it both gains you cards ridiculous fast, AND draws you lots. Add to that that if you have villages you could quickly have 9 card hands and gain Provinces, and this simply breaks the game. One Magic Tower gains you more, so all you need to do is buy villages and cycle fast and win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barrett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Road Builder - Love the concept of this but it feels too powerful (compare with Inn). Should probably cost 5.

Coppercycle (2) [Action] - I like it, but once again my gut says it's too cheap, maybe at 3?

Magic Tower - Ouch! This is going to hurt, and in multiplayer games it renders cursing attacks a complete liability. +3 cards makes it too easy to score gold with this.
I like the concept of the magic tower though, especially relating it to curses.
I'd suggsst retaining the power but droping the +cards completely. It will then grab you a 3 generally; comboing it with Lab will then let you net a 4 and you can still find ways to get it grabbing provinces (Tactician!).
Instead of reflecting the curse, why not just make it so it can cancel any curses dished out, something like:
"Reveal this card any time anyone gains a curse. The curse is not gained."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Road Builder turns the game on it's head much like IGG does. It's a race to get them then use them quickly for their greatest benefit, emptying a pile almost right off the bat. Not necessarily bad at first glance, but does change the game significantly.

Coppercycle is just a negative (i.e. poor effect) card. It basically says: "+ 1 Action; if you have a copper in your hand, -$1, +1 card." Which then becomes a self-replacer (useless) that also costs you a dollar (bad). Not balanced at any cost as written.

Magic Tower - there's already enough documentation on why reactions cannot reflect attacks, main case in point is that you are able to reveal reactions multiple times. Depending on the player-count, this would issue 10-30 curses out to one player on their own turn. Fails as written.

---

They are interesting ideas for possibilities (except Magic Tower - that effect has been proposed and quashed about a thousand times before), a lot more interesting than a lot of variant proposals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nakamura
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Templates are here

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3770273#3770273

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not convinced Coppercycler actually hurts you on average. It lets you replace a copper you would have drawn with another card from your deck, which on average is a good thing. But I guess the fact you're likely to draw it dead late in the game probably kills it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
Coppercycle is just a negative (i.e. poor effect) card. It basically says: "+ 1 Action; if you have a copper in your hand, -$1, +1 card." Which then becomes a self-replacer (useless) that also costs you a dollar (bad). Not balanced at any cost as written.

I don't think that's quite right. It's true that the net gain is 1 card, but if the average card in your deck is more valuable than a Copper (which should become true fairly early in the game), then discarding a Copper to draw two cards is (often significantly) better than +1 card.

Coppercycle seems to me to be the best case for a balanced card among these three. I agree with the above commenters on all three of them in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now that I'm getting back into Dominion and have actually been playing it, could Magic Tower have, "You may reveal and discard this card when an opponent's attack would make you gain a Curse, if you do, that player gains two Curses instead."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.