Subject: questions on some cards... e.g. praetorianus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
praetorianus: any of the opponent's dice disc can be blocked for one go

is it necessary to block in in the next turn? or block the disc when it is activated many turns after??

consilliarius: allow u can pick up character and lay them again on any dice disc. Can it be opponentss dice disc?? e.g. covering opponent's forum?

overall i found the game only have one path of victory (the forum engine). i tried many times to destroy it, but it is very difficult. Winning by forum is a more guaranteed path of victory, other methods require more luck than skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb

1. You can only block the opponent's disc from activation by dice placement in the immediate next turn.

2. I would think you can only move your character to another spot on your own side of the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:
praetorianus: any of the opponent's dice disc can be blocked for one go

is it necessary to block in in the next turn? or block the disc when it is activated many turns after??

Interesting question.

However, one "go" is one turn, not one "attempted activation of a die disc". So the praetorianus' effect would last for one turn (potentially blocking up to three activations).

Your question has made me ponder the possibility that the latter interpretation could be a valid one, and here are my further thoughts:

If we consider the possible effects of the block-until-attempted-activation interpretation, this could give rise to scenarios where the praetorianus is activated for several consecutive turns because the opponent doesn't attempt to activate the blocked disc. In this scenario, what if you yourself were later to cover the praetorianus with another card? Would the block still be in effect since the praetorianus was validly activated at the time it was in play?

I think this could give rise to confusing situations... well, maybe not confusing, but additional "bureaucracy" would be needed to continue monitoring the "active block".

Thematically, as well, I think the simpler interpretation would make more sense, as a praetorianus, being a character, wouldn't simply "hang out" next to an opponents building or character forever, just waiting for him to use it. He goes, he stands guard for a particular length of time, then he leaves.

Again, you pose an interesting question, but I think the card relies on the definition of a "go", which is a player's turn.

Quote:
consilliarius: allow u can pick up character and lay them again on any dice disc. Can it be opponentss dice disc?? e.g. covering opponent's forum?

Again, interesting question. I will refer you to the section titled "Laying cards" on page 3:
Roma rules, English version, page 3 wrote:
Cards are taken from the player's hand and placed face-up. When laying a card, the player always has to allocate the card to a dice disc. Cards are only placed on the player's own side.

Emphasis mine.

Quote:
overall i found the game only have one path of victory (the forum engine). i tried many times to destroy it, but it is very difficult. Winning by forum is a more guaranteed path of victory, other methods require more luck than skills.

Interesting. I haven't played enough games where I've really attempted to implement one strategy regardless of my initial hand draw, so I can't comment.

But I hope you find helpful my answers to your rules questions.

Edit: Gah, I love how it takes me so long to write up a reply, sourcing the rules and such, only to have someone beat me to a response. Anyway, I agree with the above responder, and hopefully my rulebook citations further settle the matter for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this would make praetorianus quite useless as i will be using one die to potentially block my opponent, who can use the die for other uses (e.g. cards and $$)

maybe this is an older game, so i shouldn't expect too much..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not useless. You could use praetorianus to block the opponent's forum, which you think is overpowered.

By the way, the subject of forum has been discussed ad nauseam and there are plenty of cards to counter it. It's still a good strategy, but not unbeatable, assuming you hunt the right cards in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.