Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to say, while I'm all for meeting in the middle with compromise, I seem to do a bad job of it. Granted, I am pretty radical political (far left here.), but I see a lot of people say 'my conservative friends'. I think to myself, 'do I have any conservative friends?' and the answer is sort of. So I am making a poll.

Poll
1. How many of your friends are politically across the line from you?
None - I don't hang with those types
None - I just don't really happen to know any.
A few but not many.
10% of my friends.
25% of my friends
50% of my friends
75% of my friends
90% of my friends
Nearly all are on the other spectrum.
All as far as I can tell I'm alone.
I don't consider anyone across from me because I'm a 'moderate'.
I lie and say I'm an independent, and refuse to take a stand.
2. Marriage- How are you and your SO related politically.
We are Apolitical
We are wimpy 'independents' and refuse to take a stand.
We are right in line with each other.
We disagree only on a few minor issues.
We disagree on some key points or a lot of minor issues.
We disagree on nearly all points.
We are political Di-poles.
      67 answers
Poll created by masaakunokouchi

Yes, I know I bashed independents in the poll, and I will continue. Having a strong belief in an ideology does not mean you can't also believe in political compromise. Being 'independent' to me is the same as being 'agnostic', its a wimps way of being atheist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You forgot to add, i don't know the political affiliations of my friends.

Off course, i also live in a country with 12 political parties in its parliament, and at least once as many smaller parties that are not represented, so even if you know some of a persons political ideas, you still don't know which party they supporrt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear hear. there about 11 isles here, and I am quite sure almost all of my friends are across at least one of them, and a fair number can be described as residing on the opposite side of one or more of the political spectra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
Hear hear. there about 11 isles here, and I am quite sure almost all of my friends are across at least one of them, and a fair number can be described as residing on the opposite side of (on of the) the political spectrum(a).

despite the number of political parties, there is still a spectrum, just do you best .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how to answer this poll. You can say all you want about indpendents being wimps or moderates not taking a stand, but that does best describe the political ideology of some people, myself included.

You say there is "a spectrum", but there isn't. There are LOTS of spectrums (spectra?) For example, I generally find myself in line with the economic polices of conservatives: low taxes, de-regulation, etc. But on social issues (gay rights, the place of religion in government, etc.) I find myself much closer to most liberals.

Taking into account all these different political views (including lots of stuff I haven't even mentioned [abortion, gun control, etc]) it would be very difficult for me to find a friend who I completely agree with on everything. So I would be completely across the AISLE (not isle) from them on certain issues, but not on others.

This whole concept of us vs. them is a big problem in the American political system, in my opinion. It shifts the focus to talking about "are you with us or against us?" just like this poll does, instead of engaging the issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The primary reason I don't "hang" with Lefties is because they are almost all sub-par when it comes to the English language. One of the more common mistakes is using the word "isle" when what they mean is "aisle".

I know, it's very hard to master English when your mind is in thrall to a progressive ideological disease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
The primary reason I don't "hang" with Lefties is because they are almost all sub-par when it comes to the English language. One of the more common mistakes is using the word "isle" when what they mean is "aisle".

I know, it's very hard to master English when your mind is in thrall to a progressive ideological disease.
No no, I was specifically referring to small islands. Does that not make perfect sense, MisterCranky? Oh wait, Tripp? WTF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
mag74b wrote:

What I was going to say. I have a couple friends with whom I regularly talk politics (one right-leaning, one left-leaning) but on the whole I just don't really talk politics with friends.

Same. The other day I was chatting with a neighbor who I see pretty regularly. We're only "early" friends, but our dogs and kids play together a lot and Trish and I get along with both of the adults so it's a good mix. They both voted in our recent election and it was hard due to rain, lack of parking and tight schedules so I was thanking her for coming out. She mentioned that they always vote except that a medical scare kept them from voting in the last Presidential election. I joked that it must have been scary to miss it since Massachusetts was such a close call and she said that they would probably have cancelled each other's vote anyway.

Not only didn't I know that one of them would have voted for Bush...I still have no idea which one it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Another vote for have no idea. I have no idea who any of my friends voted for at any election. Not something we talk about or i have ever asked about.

I think the UK is less partisan with more floating voters though and all our parties seem more to the middle than the polarity seen in the US.

eg The left wing party scrapped free university education when they were in power and the right wing party just scrapped a "tax break" for the affluent with children.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a weird qustion for me: I don't really discuss politics with many of my friends, but I do have one group who are all quite conservative, and hence opposite of me and I think politics comes up every time I hang out with them.

So it's a small number of friends that I would say are across the aisle, but I feel, I'm generally outnumbered in any political conversations I have. If that makes sense.

Either way, someones political leanings really have little bearing on what I think of them as a person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
The intention was quite clear from the opening post.

I actually thought that he meant it as isle until I opened thread. I was hoping for some clever joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A large number of my friends are conservatives or libertarians.... almost all of them hate the current Republican party though... Of course they hate the Democrats more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a genuine "moderate" I find myself often being the most liberal amongst conservatives friends and the most conservative amongst my liberal friends. Which means I usually feel like I am across the aisle from everybody.

Oh and FYI am not some weak person who can't take sides... I have my views and they tend to be fully considered educated ones... and it is a lot harder to stand your ground and piss off everybody than it is to just take one side and have at least 1/3 of the people think you are always right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my coworker friends are apolitical. I call myself a moderate Democrat. If you don't scratch too deeply, being a Kentucky Democrat is a lot like being a Republican many other places. (The last three pieces of pro-gun legislation in the state were introduced by the Democrats and passed with little opposition). My female cultural companion is well educated and reasonably affluent. I call her a Kentucky liberal*. We agree on most things.

The founder of the company I work for calls himself a moderate Republican. We agree on most things, too.

*Mental health professional , prefers German sport coupes for transportation, drinks wine not beer, prefers jazz to bluegrass, has a condo in the city, farm in the country and goes to the ballet AND the opera but owns 4 handguns and an AR15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinando Woicickoski
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:

Off course, i also live in a country with 12 political parties in its parliament, and at least once as many smaller parties that are not represented, so even if you know some of a persons political ideas, you still don't know which party they supporrt.

Luxury!!
Brazil has 29 active political parties. 22 of then are represented in he parliament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.