Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am looking for a card game that is somewhat similar to Race for the Galaxy... but a bit simpler to learn. Any advise? Thanks! Must be a min. of 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
San Juan is similar but simpler.

Also you may take a look at Glory to Rome and, if you'd like deckbuilding aspect added - Eminent Domain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian lia
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 for Eminent Domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
San Juan is exactly what you've described there. A simpler version of Race.

True, but maybe too similar?

I second the recommendations for Glory to Rome and Eminent Domain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For clarification, I don't have Race for the Galaxy... I was thinking to buy it, but my main gaming buddy is my seven year old daughter. (we play all kinds of games. e.g. Tigris and Euphrates, Omen Reign of War and many many others - see my game list) She has no problems playing any of the 13+ games.

So while I don't really think we will have trouble picking up the game play... I wanted to see what other similar games we might try instead/beside Race...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chih-Hsien Wang
Taiwan
Taipei
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fleet, yet unreleased, seems to be like Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QueesteGeest wrote:
For clarification, I don't have Race for the Galaxy... I was thinking to buy it, but my main gaming buddy is my seven year old daughter. (we play all kinds of games. e.g. Tigris and Euphrates, Omen Reign of War and many many others - see my game list) She has no problems playing any of the 13+ games.

So while I don't really think we will have trouble picking up the game play... I wanted to see what other similar games we might try instead/beside Race...

Go for San Juan instead of RftG.

RftG has one of the most notoriously steep learning curves of any game on BGG. In addition, winning strategies are wickedly difficult to discern without many repeated plays.

No game on BGG has stymied me more than RftG. I pick up games quickly, but RftG is not that game.

I just can't see a kid of seven playing RftG and getting anything out of it. A fine game, but something worth saving for later.

Updated: BTW, there are two excellent Java-based versions of San Juan online. Also, a Java-based RftG exists, and it is outstanding. You can try out both games and see what you think. Find them listed here: Sebastian Sohn's SoftBoard Games: Free, Commercial, and Abandoned Computer Version of Board, Card and Role-Playing Games with Computer AI (Artificial Intelligence) Opponents with Screen Shots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan is what you describe, but FYI it is not very good as a 2 player game, as its version of "production" to generate cards is inferior to just building when playing with fewer players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy was originally planned to be the card game version of Puerto Rico until Tom found out San Juan was in the works, and each gets royalties on the other's game for shared mechanics. They are very close thematic cousins, but San Juan is the simpler of the two as it only incorporates the building aspect of the game, versus the shipping aspect.

If you can get the San Juan expansion, that adds in buildings that simulate the shipping concept (such as the Harbor) and also open up a few more strategies and ways to earn income.

If you have an Android device, I recommend going to the market to get "Condado", which is the unofficial San Juan implementation to give it a try. Recent version updates of that program allow hot-seat play and the AIs aren't terrible for solo play, though you can get where you consistently beat them.

Glory to Rome often gets compared to RftG, but I find the similarity ends at the point of being able to use the cards for multiple purposes. Getting a copy can be painful as well.

Eminent Domain is the love child of Glory to Rome, Race for the Galaxy/San Juan/Puerto Rico and Dominion (kinda) and plays quite well.

All involve reading text on the cards, RftG has a symbolic language which some people parse quickly and others wrestle with.

San Juan has the fewest card types to learn, then Eminent Domain and Glory to Rome with RftG having the most variety across the deck (where with the exception of developments, every card in the deck is unique {with one or two exceptions in the planets where there are some pairs that differ only in name but not function})

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just dropped in to see how many times San Juan got mentioned.

It's pretty much a no-brainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Gareau
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:

Also you may take a look at Glory to Rome and, if you'd like deckbuilding aspect added - Eminent Domain

This.

I own both and I love them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
51st State and The New Era a standalone expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LSMB wrote:
San Juan is what you describe, but FYI it is not very good as a 2 player game, as its version of "production" to generate cards is inferior to just building when playing with fewer players.

I think San Juan is an excellent 2-player game, and this is one of the first times that I've read otherwise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norberto Leiva
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Glory to Rome. My reasons:

1. GtR is simpler to learn than RftG (text instead of icons)
2. GtR deserves as depth/strategies/variety as basic RftG (without expansions)
3. GtR is cheaper (at least european edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
LSMB wrote:

I think San Juan is an excellent 2-player game, and this is one of the first times that I've read otherwise...

It is a fairly common criticism of SJ (of course not all will agree ).

One of the major strategies of the game, production, becomes inferior to building (purple strategy) with 2p (some would say 3p too). The reason is that production takes too many steps to generate cards, and in 2p there are enough roles such that you are on your own to select roles for the steps you need to get good card generation. In 4p someone is forced to select prodcution supporting role tiles. If one player goes "purple" and one production, purple will complete too many buildings and points, ending the game ahead.

Once you play the game a few times you figure this out, and both players go purple, effectively ignoring a big part of what SJ has to offer (and gets predictable).

With 4p, someone has to select a role supporting production, making it a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys... eventually I bought Race for the Galaxy, simply because they had the game in stock at the local game shop. Played it first time today with my 7 year old daughter, and it went quite well I have to say. Not so difficult. Amazing how fast a kid can pick up the meaning of the icons and such. We simply (for the time being) discard the 'difficult' cards (as galactic currency) to develop / settle the 'easy' ones. Then later on, when we feel more confident we will use the more complex cards. Important thing is that we get the mechanic right first and build on that step by step. But so far no major problems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
illtid wrote:
+1 for Eminent Domain.

+1 here also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:
San Juan is similar but simpler.

My understanding regarding San Juan and Race for the Galaxy is that they both were in the running for the cardgame version of Puerto Rico. San Juan was picked as the game, and Race for the Galaxy ended up getting released later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Stewart
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:
RftG has one of the most notoriously steep learning curves of any game on BGG.

Oh, come on now. Sure, I'll admit it's not Ticket to Ride, but it ain't one of those Games Workshop style, 100-page rulebook miniatures games either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a few games so far and loving it! Great mechanisms, the AI (pc) version is fantastic and a good way to learn how to play the game at your own pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
ASFalcon13 wrote:
edelen wrote:
RftG has one of the most notoriously steep learning curves of any game on BGG.

Oh, come on now. Sure, I'll admit it's not Ticket to Ride, but it ain't one of those Games Workshop style, 100-page rulebook miniatures games either.
I agree. It's not THAT hard...if your kid is playing T&E, she'll be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race is not difficult actually, the only thing I still have some trouble with... is the consume phase powers... how many goods I can consume when there are multiple goods available, how many X any multiplier / bonuses etc etc. The exact allocation of VP / bonuses when there are many cards in the tableau during this phase takes some practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RftG is well worth the 20 minutes it takes to learn to play...it has got such a stigma attached to it because of "iconography" (duh DUH DUH!!) but honestly it makes sense in no time and it's just such a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.