King of Tokyo» Forums » General

Subject: Other games like King of Tokyo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miner Willy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I've got a decent sized group together who have been playing King of Tokyo pretty regularly in our lunch break at work... it's a perfect fit, light enough that new players can be taught the rules quickly, and random enough that no-one really minds who wins or loses. We just punch each other (in game, natch) and trash talk the players who are trying to win on VP's.

It's been a massive hit... but I sense enthusiasm is starting to wane slightly - and people are starting to gently ponder whether there are any other games that would fit into the same kind of bracket...

So basically I'm looking for something a bit like King of Tokyo, only different... So I want something with light rules, a 30 minute play time, good number of players, and preferably something a little "ameritrash"ish, if you know what I mean... colourful, thematic, not too serious, and with a certain degree of "take that!" in there.

I'm not going to get these guys and gals caring about trading wooden cubes in a medieval village! They are all about doing each other over and the trash talk

(just to point out, I love a good euro myself, I just know that this group is not going to take to that kind of game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
The play time for my suggestion is an hour (but rarely more than that for our group, at least). However, I couldn't resist recommending Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game to you as it matched your criteria so well. It can play with anywhere from two to six but is best with five. It is easy to understand, very ameritrashy and heaps of fun. The theme of B movie zombie flick is very strong and you'll find yourself pulling a strategic "take-that" manuever and also having a good laugh all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bear
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guillotine?Guillotine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Family Business is a great cut-throat mob game, where you are trying to annihilate all your opponents' mobsters.

No matter what this game has always had the most trash talk of any game I have ever played, and everyone I have played it with loved it.

Games run quick and ruthless.
And you can throw in all you favorite movie quotes...

St. Valentine's Massacre: "Say hello to my little friend!"
as you kill all the mobsters on the wall, even your own.

Family Business is practically interchangeable with King of Tokyo, but it is a card game rather than dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
High Noon Saloon was my first thought. Risk Express might work too.

Skull & Roses or Liar's Dice are bluffing games but should fit well with a trash-talking crowd.

Incan Gold, No Thanks, Zombie Dice and For Sale are all usual crowd-pleasers, but not necessarily similar to King of Tokyo at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang! is what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Phillips
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As above, BANG! always works well and will fit into 30 minutes, likewise Saboteur and (my personal favourite) The Resistance would suit too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my podcast at www.thepartygamecast.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you suggest BANG!, you might as well suggest the cooler gun game Ca$h 'n Gun$ which also plays very fast and is good for a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind it going over 30 mins, Cosmic Encounter is definitely the way to go. Fun, thematic and has crazy powers interacting with each other. I couldn't recommend it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miner Willy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
cheers for some great suggestions there, gang

Lots to sift through... I'll let you all know what I try and how it works out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like King of Tokyo, the game you want is Nefarious. It is a simple role selection mechanism with inventions to build, similar to the special powers in King of Tokyo.

In addition, there are two special conditions, chosen from a deck of 60, that change the rules for each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.