Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Marching Order
Designed for the Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

In Marching Order, you are a group of dungeon delving adventurers seeking fame and fortune fighting against the denizens of the darkness. You must position your adventurers to augment their strengths and minimize their weaknesses as well as marshal your resources.


Sample character card (note the Gld is where the gold hire value will be but it is still being worked on). Stats along the edges. The black circles are only used when not exhausted (when hit the threshold - the number after the slash for health, or from other effects like poison). The white circles are always used. Some characters have a half white circle, in which case it adds in but gets rounded down (so only effective if someone else has a half value on the same facing). At the top is the character's name and types (Human and Paladin in this case).



Sample encounter card. Stats along the edge like the character but on opposite sides. This is so they line up with the appropriate stat on the adventurer cards. Have a name (Goblin Stalkers), type(s) (goblin and minion for this example), special abilities (ambush, which flips two character cards, and stalker, which adds bonuses if they attack while you are resting), and the combat result table. In the corners are the level of the card, type identifier (M for minion), the chance of a second encounter accompanying it (4+ as shown by the black die), and the chance it has treasure to be gained when defeated (4+ as shown on the white die).


Components:
Rules
108 cards (These are broken into 2 decks, one for the base game and for the particular dungeon so that future expansions an add a new dungeon with just one 54 card deck): 45 encounter cards, 36 reward cards, 20-27 character cards plus possible play reference cards.
Day tracker

Also a number of dice (regular 6-sided) will be needed.
8 to track health and willpower for each character (or cubes or small chips could be used)
10 (or so) for adventurer rolls.
10 (or so) (in another color, preferably) for encounter rolls.

6 or so dice for rolling to overcome encounters
Beads or cubes to track gold and one to track days.

Download Links:
{links to come}


---------------------

Where things are at. I am part way through stating up the encounters and have a basic layout for cards sketched out. Once I have some cards and can playtest, I'll post pics and links. Also looking for Creative Commons or public domain fantasy images.

Using Chad Mestdagh's rating system, this game is currently at status 2. Initial playtesting (no printed components yet).
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Marching Order - dungeon crawling game for 2012 Solitaire contest
Game explanation in a bit more depth:

Marching order is a game about dungeon exploration. First, players need to assemble their adventuring party using their starting gold. Then, when they are happy with their assembled adventurers, they head to the dungeon and begin their quest. But they must answer the question that has been asked of adventurers since the first dungeon was delved.

"What's your marching order?"

Each adventurer has 4 stats that they use to overcome the various challenges in the dungeon: Combat, Cunning, Arcane, and Faith. These stats are shown along the various card edges. When the adventurers are assembled in a 2x2 grid, one side will be facing out with each stat. When the adventurers face an encounter, they add the two relevant stats on the appropriate side. But beware, ambushes can cause a change in your organization as the enemy seeks to exploit your weaknesses ("Ogre smash point hat wizard").

Encounters are met by rolling a number of dice equal to the stats used by the characters vs. a number of dice used by the encounter for the appropriate stat. Then, any of the adventurer's dice that match one of the encounter's dice are removed. The player then takes the highest remaining adventurer die and compares it to the encounter's effects table (printed on the encounter card). No remaining dice will be a result of 0. High results will often result in the encounter being defeated and low results in damage, loss of willpower, or other penalties to the adventurer(s).

(New way to reduce # of dice) Encounters are met by rolling a number of dice. Subtract the encounter(s) stat total from the adventurers' stat total. The adventurer's may roll this many dice and choose one to use. If the encounter(s)'s stat total is equal to the adventurer's, roll 1 die. If the encounter is higher, roll two dice (regardless of difference) and keep lowest.

As well as the normal challenges of the dungeon, there is also the boss of the dungeon, the one you must defeat. Throughout the dungeon, he will make various appearances to offer a quick challenge and witty banter ("Die human!") before fading into the shadows once again. Game-wise, this means there are 5 different versions of the boss, each representing some aspect of the big boss. Once you defeat one, it is placed aside until the next time he appears. Then he will be slightly more powerful the next time he is met. For the final encounter, you must have met the boss at least 3 times (maybe more) and be on the 3rd level of the dungeon. Then you must defeat each aspect that he has to claim victory. For example, the boss for the first set is the leader of the Crookfang Goblins. His various boss cards represent different aspects of this evil warlord.

Urgutz, Goblin Lord – master of swarms of goblins and other minions
Urgutz of the Golden Axe – his magic axe makes him a terror in combat
Urgutz, Blessed of the Dark One – the blessings of the evil god of the goblins grants him profane powers
Urgutz, Warleader of the Crookfang Tribe – his followers are well trained and will bring their numbers to bear for their master
Urgutz the Shadowborn – like many creatures of the dark, Urgutz is a master of stealth and shadowy death

Each dungeon has 3 levels, with increasing difficulties. To move to another level, adventurers must collect keys (sometimes actual keys, but often finding passageways or magic items to ease their exploration) as well as encounter the boss at least once on their current level.

Throughout play, characters can gain magic treasures and experience. They can also be slain. Characters can return to town for healing, safe rest, or to recruit replacement characters. Doing so, however, costs time and the adventurers only have so much time to complete their quest.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beto Francischinelli
Brazil
Itu
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Marching Order - dungeon crawling game for 2012 Solitaire contest
This looks really interesting. And me likes me dungeoncrawlers!
I particularly like the boss being "split" into 5 different aspects.
*subscribed*
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Marching Order - dungeon crawling game for 2012 Solitaire contest
erf_beto wrote:
This looks really interesting. And me likes me dungeoncrawlers!
I particularly like the boss being "split" into 5 different aspects.
*subscribed*


Thanks. The split boss allows the same dungeon deck to be used with more re-playability since you don't know what abilities the final boss might have.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Marching Order - dungeon crawling game for 2012 Solitaire contest
Great concept. Look forward to playing this!

From a quick read (and being a bit tired, so sorry if this makes no sense at all) maybe you can cut down on the dice a bit, since having a table of effects on the encounter card, combined with rolling dice for the adventurer, is just as random without having to also roll dice for the encounter? Ie, you can make a more difficult encounter simply by shifting the values needed for good/bad results in the table, no need to have dice subtracted from dice? Or maybe it is a reason and I just don't see it now.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love me a good dungeon crawler! Looking forward to this game!!!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Great concept. Look forward to playing this!

From a quick read (and being a bit tired, so sorry if this makes no sense at all) maybe you can cut down on the dice a bit, since having a table of effects on the encounter card, combined with rolling dice for the adventurer, is just as random without having to also roll dice for the encounter? Ie, you can make a more difficult encounter simply by shifting the values needed for good/bad results in the table, no need to have dice subtracted from dice? Or maybe it is a reason and I just don't see it now.


The main reason was to make it more difficult to face numbers as well as some special abilities forcing re-rolls. But, to reduce the number of dice needed, I am trying a slightly different way to do it (see change in 2nd post, above). While I still like the original idea (and the added tension of rolling that 6 for your adventurers only to have it parried by a 6 from the monster), I think the reduction in dice is preferable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
While I still like the original idea (and the added tension of rolling that 6 for your adventurers only to have it parried by a 6 from the monster), I think the reduction in dice is preferable.


I like the original idea as well, also because of the "parry/cancel" interaction. I'd actually strongly recommend you use that idea, as it seems rather unique!

Besides, I don't think the number of dice is really an issue at all; all you need is a way to keep track of results ... say, a separate card with six spots for the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6. You roll first for the adventurers, keeping track of each die roll result by putting a counter (a penny) on top of the appropriate spot on the card. Then, you roll for the encounter, taking away matching counters (if any) for each die roll result. I can play that game with just 1 six-sided die; most people would probably have at least 5 dice just from scavenging from either Risk or Yahtzee. Rolling up to 5 dice at a time using this counter-tracker method should be rather fast.


On a separate note ...

What I don't understand is how you determine which stat is used in the conflict. I do like how you make the 4 different stats line up when you have the adventurers "face off" against the encounter.


manyslayer wrote:
Throughout play, characters can gain magic treasures and experience. They can also be slain. Characters can return to town for healing, safe rest, or to recruit replacement characters. Doing so, however, costs time and the adventurers only have so much time to complete their quest.


I also considered having this aspect of RPGs in my game as well. In my case, I was thinking of increasing the "threat level" of the dungeon every time the adventurers decide to recuperate/recruit. I haven't implemented that idea ... yet. But in your case, it might simply mean having an extra pip added to the encounter stats.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
manyslayer wrote:
While I still like the original idea (and the added tension of rolling that 6 for your adventurers only to have it parried by a 6 from the monster), I think the reduction in dice is preferable.


I like the original idea as well, also because of the "parry/cancel" interaction. I'd actually strongly recommend you use that idea, as it seems rather unique!

Besides, I don't think the number of dice is really an issue at all; all you need is a way to keep track of results ... say, a separate card with six spots for the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6. You roll first for the adventurers, keeping track of each die roll result by putting a counter (a penny) on top of the appropriate spot on the card. Then, you roll for the encounter, taking away matching counters (if any) for each die roll result. I can play that game with just 1 six-sided die; most people would probably have at least 5 dice just from scavenging from either Risk or Yahtzee. Rolling up to 5 dice at a time using this counter-tracker method should be rather fast.


I'll be trying a bot of both, to be honest, but the number of dice still might be a turn off to some. I will be testing to see how different they feel.


Stormtower wrote:
On a separate note ...

What I don't understand is how you determine which stat is used in the conflict. I do like how you make the 4 different stats line up when you have the adventurers "face off" against the encounter.


When you draw the card(s) for an conflict, they will line up on their strongest stat. If there are equal stats, they will line up against the adventurer's weakest of those. If still even, random. It is possible to end up facing a challenge on multiple sides. For instance, if the Goblin Stalkers above are drawn in the same encounter as a Blood Shrine trap (highest stat is faith), you could end up with one card on the Cunning side (assuming Cunning was the side the stalkers end up on) and one on the Faith side. That means that whatever adventurer is on the corner where Faith and Cunning meet (lower right) would have to choose which conflict to add their stat to as their action that turn.

Stormtower wrote:
manyslayer wrote:
Throughout play, characters can gain magic treasures and experience. They can also be slain. Characters can return to town for healing, safe rest, or to recruit replacement characters. Doing so, however, costs time and the adventurers only have so much time to complete their quest.


I also considered having this aspect of RPGs in my game as well. In my case, I was thinking of increasing the "threat level" of the dungeon every time the adventurers decide to recuperate/recruit. I haven't implemented that idea ... yet. But in your case, it might simply mean having an extra pip added to the encounter stats.


When resting, as well as taking a day, it also has a chance of an encounter unless its in town. There are only so many days to complete the quest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping this game. Looked good and was hoping to hear news about it. Chris, I know your out there!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Work has been pretty hectic lately (it's supposed to be the slow season, darn it) but I am working a bit on it. I will hopefully be posting the playtest files in the next day or two. Still needs some tweaking but hopefully some more eyes will help get things playing smoothly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ever get to make any progress on this. It looks pretty cool.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it! Looks nice
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. My appologies. This is supposed to be the slow time at work but several database migrations and software changes created many long hours. I still plan to work on this even though it won't be in the contest.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
Yes. My appologies. This is supposed to be the slow time at work but several database migrations and software changes created many long hours. I still plan to work on this even though it won't be in the contest.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to here you're still working on it. I was sad to see it wasn't entered into the contest.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
Glad to here you're still working on it. I was sad to see it wasn't entered into the contest.
+1
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.