Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
With The Avengers movie opening today (5/4) and Free Comic Book Day tomorrow (5/5), not to mention Star Wars Day today (5/4), I've been thinking a lot about comics and pop culture at work.

I'm a long time comic fan from back in the 1980's and despite the current 6-issue runs which seem to be the norm for the past decade, I remember a time when one issue told a complete story.

As I'm planning to go to Austin this weekend to visit my favorite comic shop from back when I was in college, Austin Books, I figure I'll spend a good amount of time going through back issues and wanted some solid suggestions for good single issue comics.

Unfortunately, Google searching for good single issues isn't providing much help, esspecially since it's hard to find the Wizard Magazine's "Best Single Issues Since Your Were Born" from a few years back. The only hits you get are from 2011, which is fine, but I'm looking for a wider range than top ten from 2011.

That being said, what are some of the best single issue comics or your favorite single issue comics of all time?

I am under the thinking that "best" and "favorite" can be the same or different, so please give me a small reasoning as to why you think it's worth mentioning.

I'm open to any and all suggestions; from Superhero to Vertigo to Indy to classic Uncle Scrooge.

Also, while one-shots and annuals are the go to, good single issues can happen in the middle of a run of six issues. For instance I love New Avengers #5 where they're in the Savage Land, even though it's part of the Breakout story run.

Here are some of mine from the top of my head to get things started off:

Uncle Scrooge Adventures #27 (1994) (Reprinted in Uncle Scrooge 383 (2008)) - Very fun adventure spanning the entire globe, with some interesting fictional history.
New Avengers #5 - I have a love/hate relationship with Brian Michael Bendis, but this is a fun story with big characters, good one-liners, parital nudity, and makes the Savage land seem not-lame.
Fables #56 - Most issues of Fables are great, but this one introduces the idea of Santa into the Fables universe.
What If? Thor - Thor becomes a Herald of Galactus.
Batman / The Spirit #1 - Darwyn Cooke putting two classics together. Great! (Also Darwyn Cooke's last issue of The Spirit #12)

Thanks for your suggestions and have fun this weekend everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall an issue of Ambush Bug that I liked a lot, but can't tell you which one it was, alas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give you a couple.

The Sandman issue where Hob Gadling is first introduced. Great issue, great character.

Continuing with the bar theme, there is an issue of Uncanny X-men, #183(I think) where Wolverine, Colossus and Nightcrawler go to the bar. Colossus gets drunk and fight Juggernaut. Wolverine was pissed at him and lets him get whupped. (Something about heroes doing everyday stuff like going to the bar or playing baseball always humanizes them for me.)

And a personal favorite, not a particularly amazing story: What if Vol. 2 #25 - What If They Lost Atlantis Attacks.

7 heroes/villans left: Thor, Phoenix (Rachel Summers), Dr. Doom, Wolverine, Sabertooth, Mr. Fixit, Cloak, and Aquarius.

Wolvie and Joe Fixit start icing lizardmen/former friends before dying. Then Doom gives this speech where he thinks he might lose for a second... then he's like... defeat is for lesser men... I AM DOOM!!! He does actually lose, but those 2 pages just sum up Von Doom so perfectly. And the heroes lose. Like Empire Strikes Back, stories are more interesting when heores lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember being very partial to X-Men Vol 2., issue # 1. I read that so many times, the covers fell off and for the longest time I had no idea what issue that was.

Now, years later, in the Age of the Internet, I've finally been able to identify it and pick up the next issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Death of Superman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
Uncle Scrooge Adventures #27 (1994) (Reprinted in Uncle Scrooge 383 (2008)) - Very fun adventure spanning the entire globe, with some interesting fictional history.

thumbsup You can't go wrong with Uncle Scrooge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Love

I read G.I Joe as a kid some and still have these 2 issues.
G.I Joe #27

and #33

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NostraDouglas wrote:
The Sandman issue where Hob Gadling is first introduced. Great issue, great character.

That's The Sandman issue 13. My favorite single issue of any comic, and the most I've ever paid for a single backissue. I think it was $13.

Slightly off topic, but maybe helpful if you are looking for backissues to collect - I went through a phase of picking up all of the issues that were on the newsstands the day / month I was born. They made a nice display on the wall of my apartment once upon a time.

My favorite single issue cover of all time is Strangers In Paradise issue 23. *sigh* Francine . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NostraDouglas wrote:
I'll give you a couple.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Four Color Comics #328 featuring Donald Duck in "Old California"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It's a sair fecht fur a hauf loaf.
badge
Furry boots?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerebus 85 with Prince Mick and Prince Keef.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
Sandman: Ramadan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The intro to a larger arc, but a great stand-alone issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It has the "closest resemblance or depiction of any" for 'moi' as: "Father GROGmas"! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Saga of the Swamp Thing #21 (Feb. 1984), "The Anatomy Lesson"

Still love it. Rocked us Swampie Fan's collective world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.