Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys... I have the original Thunderstone base set and the first two expansions, but it still doesn't quite offer the level of interactive/direct player confrontation I am looking for. If there is already a good forum post, I would be happy to be directed to it, but just posting here would be great.
I have heard mix reviews about Nightfall, but I am willing to give it a try. Puzzle Strike also catches my fancy, but I don't know much about it... and like lots of other people I am looking forward to Arctic Scavengers, but don't know if it is direct interaction...

Your help is appreciated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Nightfall - deck building with a combat system influenced by Magic: The Gathering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soulyogurt wrote:

Yes, this one for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these games better than Heroes of Graxia? I thought this was THE definitive PvP direct conflict deck-building game.

Has anyone tried it? How would you compare it with Nightfall, A Few Acres of Snow, or Rune Age?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I would say Heroes of Graxia is the most confrontational. (unless you want to lose)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Direct player confrontation you say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow is only one on one though, correct? Is there anything that scales for more players? I just may have to look into Nightfall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have become more intrigued with this game since watching the Watch it Played series, I don't know if this is quite what I am looking for. I am more and more sure I will pick it up though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Dickinson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darney wrote:
A Few Acres of Snow is only one on one though, correct? Is there anything that scales for more players? I just may have to look into Nightfall.

Yes, AFAoS is strictly two-player.

I really think Nightfall is the closest fit for what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binary101010 wrote:
Darney wrote:

Yes, AFAoS is strictly two-player.

I really think Nightfall is the closest fit for what you're looking for.

Okay... If I was to go in that direction, how much of it should I get? Where is a good place to start? Is it easy to teach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain is well regarded, though I'm unsure how much player interaction there is.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Begin
United States
Reno
NV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly the best two player confrontational card game is still Magic: The Gathering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gjira wrote:
Sadly the best two player confrontational card game is still Magic: The Gathering

Haha!! That is true, but I am hoping to show my game group a good time without as much expense, even though quite a few of them play Magic..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Eminent Domain is well regarded, though I'm unsure how much player interaction there is.....

I here that it is similar in nature to Race for the Galaxy, and I was totally turned off by that game... However, I may give it a looksie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
Direct player confrontation you say?

Not a deckbuilder.

Moe45673 wrote:

Next to zero. You can choose to take advantage of the actions your opponent plays by playing cards from your own hand to follow that same action, but everyone's planets, resources, etc are all separate and you can't interact with them.

There is an expansion currently in playtesting that will add some interaction through military means.

Apart from that, it's an amazing game and I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Darney wrote:
Okay... If I was to go in that direction, how much of it should I get? Where is a good place to start? Is it easy to teach?

I'd say it depends on your group and how much you want to invest from the start:

Nightfall simplest, original starters, standalone
Nightfall: Martial Law medium-low complexity, original starters, new wound, new feed mechanic, standalone
Nightfall: Blood Country medium complexity, expansion
Nightfall: The Coldest War medium-high complexity, new starters, new wound, multiple new mechanics, standalone

So, if you want to start with a single set, I'd suggest the base game or Martial Law depending how good your group is with learning new strategy games. If you want to start with 2 sets (highly recommend simply for the huge increase in game options) I still suggest either base game or Martial Law as set #1, but then definitely Coldest War as set #2 just so you can create custom starter decks.

That's my 2 on the matter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darney wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:

I here that it is similar in nature to Race for the Galaxy, and I was totally turned off by that game... However, I may give it a looksie...

It's not like RftG, it's much easier and not much confrontation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was also looking for an interactive/direct conflict deck building game. Wasn't too keen on Dominion due to a lot of comments about it being multiplayer solitaire.

After doing some research I went with Dominion: Intrigue and I have no regrets. I really like it, some of the attack cards are quite in your face and you really have to react to what other people are doing to play well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:
Darney wrote:

I'd say it depends on your group and how much you want to invest from the start:

Nightfall: Martial Law medium-low complexity, original starters, new wound, new feed mechanic, standalone
Nightfall: The Coldest War medium-high complexity, new starters, new wound, multiple new mechanics, standalone

So, if you want to start with a single set, I'd suggest the base game or Martial Law depending how good your group is with learning new strategy games. If you want to start with 2 sets (highly recommend simply for the huge increase in game options) I still suggest either base game or Martial Law as set #1, but then definitely Coldest War as set #2 just so you can create custom starter decks.

Thanks for the nice and clear break down! Really means a lot that you would take the time to do that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some deckbuilding games (DBG) that I have read and played containing direct confrontation/interaction between players:

- Nightfall (haven't play this one but the man himself did a good job in explaining it)

s3rvant wrote:
Darney wrote:

- +1 Rune Age
= 2 out of 4 scenarios in the game are competitive and introduce outright confrontation and player elimination. You get to attack another players' home realm and the defender also gets to defend themselves. One of that scenario is, the first player to kill the objective card (which is a badass enemy) wins the game, and at the same time, players can attack other players home realm. The second one is sort of like king-of-the-hill where the last player standing, wins the game.
= there's also a 1V1 duel variant without the scenario (but I understand you want more players)

- +1Puzzle Strike
= this one you get to attack (basically send in gems, the player that has 10 gems is eliminated from the game) your right opponent (correct me if I'm wrong, played multiple times but hardly remember) and also defend yourself when the player to your left attacks you
= Sirlin Games is releasing a new edition of the game on kickstarter now

- Eaten by Zombies!
= IIRC, the only direct confrontation is in the game is where you get to add a new zombie into the horde before your opponent takes a turn

These are what I remember so far. Let us know what you're getting yeah, once you decided.
- Damien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Some deckbuilding games (DBG) that I have read and played containing direct confrontation/interaction between players:

- +1 Rune Age
= 2 out of 4 scenarios in the game are competitive and introduce outright confrontation and player elimination. You get to attack another players' home realm and the defender also gets to defend themselves. One of that scenario is, the first player to kill the objective card (which is a badass enemy) wins the game, and at the same time, players can attack other players home realm. The second one is sort of like king-of-the-hill where the last player standing, wins the game.
= there's also a 1V1 duel variant without the scenario (but I understand you want more players)

- +1Puzzle Strike
= this one you get to attack (basically send in gems, the player that has 10 gems is eliminated from the game) your right opponent (correct me if I'm wrong, played multiple times but hardly remember) and also defend yourself when the player to your left attacks you
= Sirlin Games is releasing a new edition of the game on kickstarter now

- Eaten by Zombies!
= IIRC, the only direct confrontation is in the game is where you get to add a new zombie into the horde before your opponent takes a turn

These are what I remember so far. Let us know what you're getting yeah, once you decided.
- Damien

Thanks for the input Damien! I am probably going to hone in on Nightfall, though both PuzzleStrike and RuneAge look pretty cool... The mechanic of only attacking your immediate neighbor works pretty good in other games, so I might look into that... RuneAge.. well that has the added advantage of being an FFG game!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darney wrote:

Thanks for the input Damien! I am probably going to hone in on Nightfall, though both PuzzleStrike and RuneAge look pretty cool... The mechanic of only attacking your immediate neighbor works pretty good in other games, so I might look into that... RuneAge.. well that has the added advantage of being an FFG game!!

No biggie. Thanks for updating us. I think there's more direct interaction in Nightfall and more up your alley. Rune Age is basically scenario based, so only if you're okay with that. That game is pretty cheap too

I'm actually can't wait for the upcoming new XP (FINALLY!) for Rune Age. There's one scenario where it's 1-VS-ALL. Basically one player will be the overlord, which is kind of unique. I've never seen such in any other DBG.
- Damien

EDIT: TBH, for Rune Age, we rarely attack each other as it eliminates player. The 2nd scenario (last man standing) is played only upon request.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.