Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else have the problem of running out of clues? Does the game publisher sell supplemental sets of them? I solo with six investigators and often run out of clue counters in mid-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Does anyone else have the problem of running out of clues? Does the game publisher sell supplemental sets of them? I solo with six investigators and often run out of clue counters in mid-game.

I have yet to run out of clues so my initial reaction is you are probably doing something wrong. Or playing with 7 or 8 players. Clues can be tight and I wish they would have printed more throughout the expansions (and I lobbied for more in Miskatonic), but you should have enough.

You do realize when a gate opens, any location that has clues tosses them back into the supply, right? And you should be spending them to seal gates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
Dude you are not supposed to eat the clues
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC in the rulebook if you run out of clue tokens, you can use stand in components, such as coins, as necessary. Personally, I play the clue token limit as a hard and fast limit, but that's a house rule.

this has happened to me, six player with Patrice, Rex, a Press pass, and a couple other clue generating cards/heroes. we won handily,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Post a play session. I've played this game a good number of times and *never* ran out of clues.

If you really are running out of clues, bling up your set! Buy some green glass beads for clues, red beads for stamina, and blue for sanity, doom and elder signs! Mebbe you can find a poker chip set with these colors, with some left over for money!

EDIT: Yeah, now I remember the "double your clues" card. I know some tomes give you as much as five clues, and you may not want to seal gates for whatever reason (eg. you got out all the Elder Signs from the deck). Plus, it's sometimes better to go Insane or Unconscious than burn clue tokens! I haven't run out of clue tokens, but, yeah, it's possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It only happened once that I remember, and about a year ago, it was just of those fluke games where everything went a little nuts, only in the heroes favor for once.

on another game (about three-four years ago) had a friend get one of his investigators to 16 Clue tokens to fight Nyarlathotep.

Actually, in a 6 player all boards game with the right investigators, you can almost run out of Clue tokens on set-up, the trick is if an investigator draws Lee Rice as a random ally. (the one that seeds all unstable locations with Clue tokens...) Had that happen once too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I have NEVER ran out of clue tokens in this game. There are tons of them, you must spend them to seal gates (unless you have an elder sign), and they get sucked up anytime a gate appears.

He's definitely doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'v run out once when a certain card doubled all clue tokens at a very very fortunate time in a single investigator game. But its incredibly rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:

Yes - I sometimes run out of clues, which is a common occurance when you are using the "Discomforting" (place additional mythos clues) difficulty level (BGOTW) alongside the Hypnos Guardian (KH).

You don't have to be doing anything wrong for this to happen.

Assuming clues are limitless I bought an extra set of clue tokens on ebay, which solved the issue. You can use any other tokens to represent clues.

FFG don't sell extra sets of clues but the green plastic tokens they sell would work quite well as clue tokens - you could replace the whole lot if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to hear more from the OP on this one. I've never run out of clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to hear more as well. In 100+ games, we have run out of clues only once. (This happened when Joe Diamond managed to gain 18 12 clues in one turn!)

edit: sorry, misremembered, he had 18 total on that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Whalen
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
The holy dove, she will be caught again.
badge
Bought and sold, and bought again. The dove is never free.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in one game, and my friend was playing Joe Diamond. He went to one of the green locations in Arkham, and drew a card that doubled his clues. He already had a lot of clues. I'm not sure which expansion the location card was in. He then stayed in that location and managed to draw the same card again, which emptied the clue pile. The Old One died in a hail of .45 bullets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldw3076 wrote:
I played in one game, and my friend was playing Joe Diamond. He went to one of the green locations in Arkham, and drew a card that doubled his clues. He already had a lot of clues. I'm not sure which expansion the location card was in. He then stayed in that location and managed to draw the same card again, which emptied the clue pile. The Old One died in a hail of .45 bullets.

And that's a perfect example of why I hate the rule that states you should shuffle the location encounter decks each time you have an encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing all the rules correctly, I believe. I do remove clues when gates open, and I spend them to seal gates and enhance skill checks. In my current game, two of my investigators get extra clues, and I'm also playing Hypnos, though I've run out of clues in other six player games when playing other guardians.

I like the idea of blinging up my set, and Nick's idea of buying extra clue tokens on ebay.

Thanks for suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyshoggoth wrote:
ldw3076 wrote:

And that's a perfect example of why I hate the rule that states you should shuffle the location encounter decks each time you have an encounter.

To my knowledge the only house rule we use is that we do not shuffle the decks each time, for this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
Whatever, that story was cool! Your friend who got the giant pile of clues won't forget that game of Arkham and I can't say I've ever won a game like that.

We played Power Grid last week. It was fun, I like Power Grid. You know how my friend won? He built 17 housey things and then powered more of them than we did. It's kind of how every game of Power Grid ends. Your buddy got every single clue in the box and then blasted an Ancient One with them. Great story! For all of the times we get crushed by a ridiculous flood of monsters or a gate burst followed by a couple of really nasty rumors in a row I'm alright with a pile of clue tokens saving the day every once in a while.

It's Arkham. Crazy shit happens here. Stop trying to control the crazy shit, people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.