Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Eclipse is coming to iOs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Link?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Link?


http://www.bigdaddyscreations.com/666/status-update/#more-66...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The implementation, judging from the several screenshots, looks awesome so far! It seems that it features extra artwork. They even have a combat screen featuring different types of ships! (drools)

If they add an AI opponent, I would even preorder the App! Lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Here
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play this with other people with an iO, correct? Cause if it's just pass and play, well, I'd just rather play the actual game itself if everyone's in the same room anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The interface looks amazing, wish it weren't only for iOS.

Did anybody else notice the "Buy Race" button in the top right of the race description menu? Are they going to have in-app purchases just to play with the non-human races?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
The interface looks amazing, wish it weren't only for iOS.

Did anybody else notice the "Buy Race" button in the top right of the race description menu? Are they going to have in-app purchases just to play with the non-human races?


No, everything that's in the basic game box will be available with the iOS version. Additional reces will be available as IAPs.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space is available for rental
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And the game will have online / async multiplayer and AI
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Purple Paladin wrote:
You can play this with other people with an iO, correct?

Yes, iOS supports the full range of online play features through Game Center.

Purple Paladin wrote:
Cause if it's just pass and play, well, I'd just rather play the actual game itself if everyone's in the same room anyway.

Say that after you've fiddled your way through an actual paper game of Ascension or Zooloretto. Playing on iOS has some big advantages, for face to face play too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hamblen
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
Anyone know if they are planning an Android version too?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No Android version planned.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, asynchronous online multiplayer will be available.
No, Android version is not planned.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skipboris wrote:
Anyone know if they are planning an Android version too?


That's a shame. They're leaving out a lot of Android users...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LibertyToad wrote:
skipboris wrote:
Anyone know if they are planning an Android version too?


That's a shame. They're leaving out a lot of Android users...


Let me put it this way. We'll soon release Neuroshima Hex version for Android devices. It has costed us a lot of effort to make it and we want to see if it was worth spending all that time put into development. If it turns out Android is a profitable market, we will port other games to Android (including Eclipse). It's not about leaving out anybody, it's about spending many months of work on a game that has to earn money for itself, so we can develop another games - simple as that.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
Let me put it this way. We'll soon release Neuroshima Hex version for Android devices. It has costed us a lot of effort to make it and we want to see if it was worth spending all that time put into development. If it turns out Android is a profitable market, we will port other games to Android (including Eclipse). It's not about leaving out anybody, it's about spending many months of work on a game that has to earn money for itself, so we can develop another games - simple as that.


Cool, thanks for the heads up. I'm not a big fan of Neuroshima Hex, but I'll happily buy it anyway as a means of voting with my wallet.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
android is hurting for good game apps. i'll purchase every single one you put out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hamblen
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
degamer wrote:
android is hurting for good game apps. i'll purchase every single one you put out.


Yeah I don't understand why there aren't more devs going Android (though many already are). Android phone install base surpassed 50% market share this year. IOS stands at around 30%. Don't you like money??? bag
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skipboris wrote:
degamer wrote:
android is hurting for good game apps. i'll purchase every single one you put out.


Yeah I don't understand why there aren't more devs going Android (though many already are). Android phone install base surpassed 50% market share this year. IOS stands at around 30%. Don't you like money??? bag


That doesn't mean that the relevant market shares [i.e. of people playing games on mobile devices] are also 50% / 30%. It seems entirely possible that the percent market shares look quite different among "mobile gamers" than among just "mobile owners" in general. [Though, yes, I'm an Android owner who is sad he can't play Eclipse on his phone.]
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
skipboris wrote:
degamer wrote:
android is hurting for good game apps. i'll purchase every single one you put out.


Yeah I don't understand why there aren't more devs going Android (though many already are). Android phone install base surpassed 50% market share this year. IOS stands at around 30%. Don't you like money??? bag


That doesn't mean that the relevant market shares [i.e. of people playing games on mobile devices] are also 50% / 30%. It seems entirely possible that the percent market shares look quite different among "mobile gamers" than among just "mobile owners" in general. [Though, yes, I'm an Android owner who is sad he can't play Eclipse on his phone.]


As has been pointed out by me and others in previous, similar threads, there is a HUGE disparity between the perceived market saturation of Android devices and those actually using Android devices as, well, Android devices.

Which is to say: a lot of folks get an Android phone that's a cheap, freebie from their provider that can't actually run apps. Can't run games.

They're buying the phones to use as, well, phones. And cameras. And maybe email -- if their phone has the juice for it.

My company purchased me an HTC Eris some time back. It was crap. It couldn't run the latest OS, couldn't run games, couldn't do much of anything. But it was -- technically -- an Android device. So it counted towards that market share there.

Apple, on the other hand, makes sure the vast majority of software runs on their hardware, new and old. They offer OS updates directly -- not the through the carriers. And the App store is as much a part of the iOS experience as the hardware or iTunes is.

To wit: whereas a significant portion of Android users might blink and ask what Android is, I doubt you'd see a whole lot of iOS users doing the same.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly - iOS is 85% of mobile games market Revenue, so that may be a reason why there's no Android games. Anyway, we're releasing Neuroshima Hex for Android anytime soon to see for ourselves how does this market look like. As for Eclipse, we don't have such plans right now.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hamblen
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
Ah, here is a recent article on the difference between gaming revenues:


http://www.newzoo.com/ENG/1504-Detail.html&id=109

IOS clearly has a bigger install base. However I must point out; Android is growing in market share so it seems likely the software side will follow. Even so, isn't 16 million current Android gamers a big enough base to warrant a simple port?

Also, I find it interesting that 90% of the revenue on both platforms is in game purchases. Does that affect the probability of sale for a single purchase item, such as a digital board game?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a 16 milion users means nothing if these users don't buy your apps Many users assume that companies doing mobile games developments sell milions of copies of each game. Believe me - they don't (OK, some of them do, but it's an exception, not the rule itself).

As a developer, I know how much money I'm able to make on iOS, so I can assume that if I start doing something for Android, my profit will be somewhere close to 15-20% of iOS profit. It's a bit low compared to iOS and makes porting most of the stuff not worth the effort. I hope this numbers change someday and developing for Android will be a profitable thing.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hamblen
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
b005t3r wrote:
Having a 16 milion users means nothing if these users don't buy your apps :) Many users assume that companies doing mobile games developments sell milions of copies of each game. Believe me - they don't (OK, some of them do, but it's an exception, not the rule itself).

As a developer, I know how much money I'm able to make on iOS, so I can assume that if I start doing something for Android, my profit will be somewhere close to 15-20% of iOS profit. It's a bit low compared to iOS and makes porting most of the stuff not worth the effort. I hope this numbers change someday and developing for Android will be a profitable thing.


I'm definitely not suggesting board game devs should develop on Android first. I'm suggesting it might be worth it to do a port later. As long as Eclipse stays high on the BGG rankings, the digital version should keep selling at a steady tick for years after the initial launch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skipboris wrote:
Even so, isn't 16 million current Android gamers a big enough base to warrant a simple port?


Oh, that it were that simple.

You also have to factor in creating different versions for the many hardware configurations of Android devices.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:
skipboris wrote:
Even so, isn't 16 million current Android gamers a big enough base to warrant a simple port?


Oh, that it were that simple.

You also have to factor in creating different versions for the many hardware configurations of Android devices.


So true. As an android phone user it is so frustrating to see the phrase "incompatible for the Samsung i9000 series" on so many interesting apps and especially games.

Thankfully I have an iPad for gaming but in an ideal world I'd like to have usable android versions of my favourite apps as the iPad doesn't fit in your pocket. Due to the compatibility issue I'll not be holding my breath.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.