Subject: Good Tournament Format for 4 - 5 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Overstreet
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
My friends and I really enjoy Summoner Wars and play on weekend nights when we get together. I've bought many of the expansions but never use them as we just play casually and don't want to take the time. Last weekend we had more time than usual and decided to do a little tournament. For some reason this made it much more serious for us, in a good way. We started building decks and were trying to take our favorite faction to the end. Guild Dwarves won by the way.
We did a faction draft, 2 teams each, at the beginning and then just did a standard tournament. This didn't work great because there wasn't an even number so we had to skip a round for 1 winner.

What formats do you use for tournaments? What other ideas should we try?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Summoner Wars causally but here is some general tournament suggestions that should apply to pretty much all 1v1 games:

I would recommend a Round Robin style tournament. The biggest downside is that it would result in each player playing 5 games--that would take considerably longer than the single-elimination bracket-style tournament you previously played (where each player played at most 3 games).

Each player will play against each opponent once. Keep track of who wins against whom. Whoever has the most total wins at the end, wins the tournament! If two players are tied for most wins, whoever won the match they had against each other wins the tournament.

It is possible for three or more players to tie using this format. In that situation, you need some sort of tie breaker selected beforehand. For Summoner Wars, the tie-breaker could be some of the following:

a) Least number of wounds on Summoner
b) Least number of units killed
c) Most Magic remaining at the end of the game(s)
d) Most cards remaining in draw deck at the end of the game(s)

Of course, the biggest problems with these tie-breakers is that some races in Summoner Wars would be significantly better than others.

Since ties between three or more players do not often happen in these types of tournaments, I would suggest not worrying about it, and, in the unlikely event that a 3 or more player tie does occur, just call it a tie and play again another day!

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Villwock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I played a Sweet 16 tournament - just like the NCAA - with 3 friends. There were 2 divisions made up of 2 conferences each. Since I only had 14 factions at the time, all 14 were available to be drafted in each division, and each person could only have 1 faction in each conference. That way, a player could only come up against himself in the semifinal, and a faction could only face itself in the final (neither of which happened, thankfully). Not the most ideal setup, but we had a lot of fun with it. (I won with the Jungle Elves. Thank you, Gorillas!)

I believe the most popular format, though, would be a swiss-style "Five for Fighting" tournament. Swiss-style has you playing your next match against an opponent with a similar won-loss record, and Five for Fighting has you using a different faction in each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.