Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Small World» Forums » Rules

Subject: What's the difference between "Ready your Troops" and "Abandoning a Region"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rule book is written:

II. Following turns

Expanding through new Conquests

> Ready your Troops
> Conquer
> Abandoning a Region




So my 1st question is:

Why didn't they write it in order? In the first turn they wrote the conquer phase also in order.

I. The first turn

1. Picking a race...

2. Conquering regions
> First Conquest
> Conquering a Region
> Enemy Losses & Withdrawals
> Following Conquests
> Final Conquest Attempt/ Reinforcement Die Roll
> Troop Redeployment
(everything in order)

3. Scoring Victory Coins


So how are the steps in the following turns and in which order if I don't put my race In Decline?

1. Ready your Troops / Abandoning a Region

2. Conquer

Is this the right order? Or can I switch between these as much as I want in any order?

Example: Conquer, Abandoning a Region, Ready your Troops, Conquer, Troops, Conquer, Abandoning...




2nd question:

"Ready your Troops" and "Abandoning a Region" means that you take your tokens from the board into your hand to start your Conquests.
The only difference between "Ready your Troops" and "Abandoning a Region" is that you leave at last one token on each Region or not.

So why do they write 2 separated points of almost the same thing under the topic "Expanding through new Conquests"?

Why don't they write the 2 points together?

1. Ready your troops (Take the amount of tokens you want back into your hand for the following conquer)

So here is "Ready your Troops" and "Abandoning a Region" melt into one single point.

This would be simple and clear to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
1. I'm guessing because it's not very common to abandon a region. You're not allowed to ready your troops more than once per turn. You pick up all the token you want to conquer with, and then you conquer. Only exception is if you have a marauding race, in which case you ready your troops, conquer, ready your troops, conquer and score victory points.

2. Because people may want to be reminded it's an option, since it's not too common.

Just my two cents.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for your answer.

I read another description of the game and I think "Abandon" comes always after "Conquering". Like it is written in the rulebook.

But I see no sense of abandoning a region at all.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:
I read another description of the game and I think "Abandon" comes always after "Conquering". Like it is written in the rulebook.



That is incorrect. In fact, you're not even *allowed* to abandon a region after the conquering portion of a turn begins, unless resolution of an ability (like removing the four temporary Amazons) necessitates it.


It's a poor decision in rulebook organization that they put the reminder/clarifying block about abandoning a region after the conquer section. But your earlier post impression is right - abandoning a region would be a result of (and during) readying your troops. Once you've started conquering you're no longer readying troops and thus can no longer abandon a region this turn (again, unless circumstances that modify the rules cause that to happen: Amazons).

Even with the expansion Marauding power, which effectively grants you a second 'ready troops' opportunity in the turn, you can't abandon a region with it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Thanks for answering.

But still I see no sense of abandoning a region.


And the thing that they make two different points of the same thing is not understandable.

Because in "Troop Redeployment" they strictly say "leave at least one token in each region" and in "Abandoning a Region" they say "you can take all the tokens from a region into your hand".

This is quite confusing, because these are two different points with two opposite rules.

And I was always wondering "Am I allowed to take all tokens of a region or do I have to leave at least one?".

Really:
Why not writting?

1. "take any amount of tokens in your hand"
2. Conquer

Why to split it off?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you ready your troops, you take all tokens but one off of each region you inhabit. At this point, you are allowed to take all tokens off of one or more regions; this is what they mean by 'abandoning' a region.

Why would you want to do it?

Well, here are some reasons that I've done it:

1) The race I was using, the Gypsies, get bonus coins if they abandon regions. Abandoning got me more points than not.

2) I was using the orcs, and another player's race with the Diplomatic special power hemmed me in, then declared peace on me. I abandoned all of my regions and started anew on another edge of the map.

3) I had the Seafaring special power, and wanted to reach the lake on my second turn. Abandoning the land regions in the middle gave me more tokens with which to do this.

4) Similar to #3, I had Wizards. They would get more coins by abandoning a region so they could claim a region with a magic symbol.


Most of the time, abandoning regions is a break even or net loss in terms of coins. There are times that it gets you more, and those are the situations in which you consider doing it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
kackarschen wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

I read another description of the game and I think "Abandon" comes always after "Conquering". Like it is written in the rulebook.

But I see no sense of abandoning a region at all.


Really? You needed to start a 2nd thread on this topic? As I told you there "Abandoning" comes at the start of your turn, not after conquering.

I also gave you reasons there way you might want to abandon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Thanks for telling me the strategic reason to abandoning a region.


swheelock wrote:
When you ready your troops, you take all tokens but one off of each region you inhabit. At this point, you are allowed to take all tokens off of one or more regions; this is what they mean by 'abandoning' a region.




Another question about "Ready your troops":
The rule:
"Leaving in place one Race token in each Region they occupy, the player may take all his other Active Race tokens from the map back in hand and use them to conquer new Regions."

I have a problem with the word "may" and what it is reffering to.

Does it mean?
1) "If I decide to take some tokens of a region, I have to take all but one. But I also can completly untouch some other regions and don't take any of these tokens."

Or does it mean?
2) "I can take of every region I want as much tokens I want, but at the end there must be at least one token on every region or even more.


But in the end it's all the same result.
They could have just written "Take as much as you want and after conquering but them all back or redeploy them as you wish."
There is no difference.



What about the tokens in my hand which I don't want to make an attack anymore? Can I place them back to the regions?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
kackarschen wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

I read another description of the game and I think "Abandon" comes always after "Conquering". Like it is written in the rulebook.

But I see no sense of abandoning a region at all.


Really? You needed to start a 2nd thread on this topic? As I told you there "Abandoning" comes at the start of your turn, not after conquering.

I also gave you reasons there way you might want to abandon.



Yes I started a new topic. Because it has the same rules and more people have the original one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
kackarschen wrote:
Another question about "Ready your troops":
The rule:
"Leaving in place one Race token in each Region they occupy, the player may take all his other Active Race tokens from the map back in hand and use them to conquer new Regions."

I have a problem with the word "may" and what it is reffering to.

Does it mean?
1) "If I decide to take some tokens of a region, I have to take all but one. But I also can completly untouch some other regions and don't take any of these tokens."

Or does it mean?
2) "I can take of every region I want as much tokens I want, but at the end there must be at least one token on every region or even more.


But in the end it's all the same result.
They could have just written "Take as much as you want and after conquering but them all back or redeploy them as you wish."
There is no difference.

It means you may take all but one or you may take all. There is little benefit to leaving more than one token in a region at the start of your turn. The game is all about maximizing the number of regions you can take and maximizing VPs now. Once you extend yourself too much, you go in decline and start over.

Quote:
What about the tokens in my hand which I don't want to make an attack anymore? Can I place them back to the regions?

Why wouldn't you want to keep attacking? You have the potential to get more points by going after more regions and reduce your opponents' tokens by reducing them after a fight. Any tokens you would then have left over can be redeployed?

You really need to just play the game and see how it all works out. This really isn't that difficult of a concept.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:

But in the end it's all the same result.


Under most circumstances it makes no difference. But as with any game where the rules are broken by overriding effects, there are circumstances where it makes a difference. For instance, the expansion ("Be Not Afraid...") race "Barbarians" do not get to redeploy. So there is, in fact, a reason you might not *want* to uproot all-but-one troops from a region when gathering troops.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.