Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: The Life of Julia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: The Life of Juila
tscook wrote:
So, is this some kind of bizarre anti-humor or serious?

The word you're looking for is "parody".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Life of Juila
HAHAH! That was satire at it's best. I may be thinking of the quality hidden message that it portrays for years to come. Well played, sir. Well Played.

Better dead than red.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
Seems to me like the author hates Romney/Ryan even more than Obama.

What he is saying is that when a republican does it, it is'nt wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
Seems to me like the author hates Romney/Ryan even more than Obama.

slatersteven wrote:
What he is saying is that when a republican does it, it is'nt wrong.

parody [ˈpærədɪ]
n pl -dies
[...]
2. mimicry of someone's individual manner in a humorous or satirical way
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
Seems to me like the author hates Romney/Ryan even more than Obama.

slatersteven wrote:
What he is saying is that when a republican does it, it is'nt wrong.

parody [ˈpærədɪ]
n pl -dies
[...]
2. mimicry of someone's individual manner in a humorous or satirical way


Yes, that is why I picked a quote from Nixon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
Linking to the original, instead copy and pasting a dictionary entry might have been even more helpful.

Possibly. But if you continue to comment as if you are unaware after I have already pointed out it's a parody, there's not much more I can do except assume you're trying to feign ignorance as a way of making some point.
Quote:
By the way, did you know that dictionary is in the dictionary? Hilarious.

Yeah but for some reason "gullible" isn't. It's weird.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
Linking to the original, instead copy and pasting a dictionary entry might have been even more helpful.

Possibly. But if you continue to comment as if you are unaware after I have already pointed out it's a parody, there's not much more I can do except assume you're trying to feign ignorance as a way of making some point.
Quote:
By the way, did you know that dictionary is in the dictionary? Hilarious.

Yeah but for some reason "gullible" isn't. It's weird.

I don't belive it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The funniest part is frame 5 of the original
http://www.barackobama.com/life-of-julia

Where 25 year old Julia graduates from college and the university (as well as the Obama administration) doesn't know that the American flag is displayed incorrectly and should be on the audiences left, rather than on the speaker's left.

k.When used on a speaker's platform, the flag, if displayed flat, should be displayed above and behind the speaker. When displayed from a staff in a church or public auditorium, the flag of the United States of America should hold the position of superior prominence, in advance of the audience, and in the position of honor at the clergyman's or speaker's right as he faces the audience. Any other flag so displayed should be placed on the left of the clergyman or speaker or to the right of the audience.


http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

The people running the country don't know a damn thing about our country. A random troop of Boy Scouts could do a better job that this administration's advisors.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

okiedokie wrote:
The people running the country don't know a damn thing about our country. A random troop of Boy Scouts could do a better job that this administration's advisors.


Well that certainly is important, as it has entirely ruined my life. I'll never vote for a Democrat again!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

The people running the country don't know a damn thing about our country. A random troop of Boy Scouts could do a better job that this administration's advisors.


That graphic was definitely the top priority of one of the people running this country rather than some campaign intern. And flag etiquette is the most important knowledge about this country there is, so if you don't have every aspect of flag etiquette memorized you probably don't even know how many states there are either.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
okiedokie wrote:
The funniest part is frame 5 of the original
http://www.barackobama.com/life-of-julia

Where 25 year old Julia graduates from college and the university (as well as the Obama administration) doesn't know that the American flag is displayed incorrectly and should be on the audiences left, rather than on the speaker's left.

k.When used on a speaker's platform, the flag, if displayed flat, should be displayed above and behind the speaker. When displayed from a staff in a church or public auditorium, the flag of the United States of America should hold the position of superior prominence, in advance of the audience, and in the position of honor at the clergyman's or speaker's right as he faces the audience. Any other flag so displayed should be placed on the left of the clergyman or speaker or to the right of the audience.


http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

The people running the country don't know a damn thing about our country. A random troop of Boy Scouts could do a better job that this administration's advisors.


Thanks for this surprising insight on what makes the conservative mind tick. Maybe we should all be more mindful of irrelevant traditions for the sake of tradition.

The point is not in and of itself important but it is symptomatic.

Gov'ts live and die by the fine details. Obama may have great ideas but his administration does not think them through in a a ways that will get the job done and make workable gov't programs.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
The funniest part is frame 5 of the original
http://www.barackobama.com/life-of-julia

Where 25 year old Julia graduates from college and the university (as well as the Obama administration) doesn't know that the American flag is displayed incorrectly and should be on the audiences left, rather than on the speaker's left.

k.When used on a speaker's platform, the flag, if displayed flat, should be displayed above and behind the speaker. When displayed from a staff in a church or public auditorium, the flag of the United States of America should hold the position of superior prominence, in advance of the audience, and in the position of honor at the clergyman's or speaker's right as he faces the audience. Any other flag so displayed should be placed on the left of the clergyman or speaker or to the right of the audience.


http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

The people running the country don't know a damn thing about our country. A random troop of Boy Scouts could do a better job that this administration's advisors.


Oh shit dude, that is super funny. Next thing you know we'll find out that a government employee didn't abide by strict Hungarian Notation when he was programming the White House Tour official smartphone app. That would also be funny goddamn shit, I am literally laughing out loud.

Did you know that Romney got some pin that was manufactured in China? That is also a Big Fucking Deal.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Or, he may just have bad ideas. Such as creating cradle-to-grave government dependency.


Yes, that's precisely what the programs mentioned in the infographics do. They create a cradle-to-grave dependency. Yes. That is in no way hyperbolic or a ridiculous exaggeration at all.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Or, he may just have bad ideas. Such as creating cradle-to-grave government dependency.


Yes, that's precisely what the programs mentioned in the infographics do. They create a cradle-to-grave dependency. Yes. That is in no way hyperbolic or a ridiculous exaggeration at all.


If someone normally speaks in nothing but hyperbole and exaggeration, can you really call it hyperbole anymore?
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Gender: pot*ato. My opinion is an opinion.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Or, he may just have bad ideas. Such as creating cradle-to-grave government dependency.


Yes, that's precisely what the programs mentioned in the infographics do. They create a cradle-to-grave dependency. Yes. That is in no way hyperbolic or a ridiculous exaggeration at all.


If someone normally speaks in nothing but hyperbole and exaggeration, can you really call it hyperbole anymore?

Normalbole? Averaggeration?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

The people running the country don't know a damn thing about our country. A random troop of Boy Scouts could do a better job that this administration's advisors.


That graphic was definitely the top priority of one of the people running this country rather than some campaign intern. And flag etiquette is the most important knowledge about this country there is, so if you don't have every aspect of flag etiquette memorized you probably don't even know how many states there are either.


Its a rag on a pole and has sod all to do with your sence of Loyalty. You could not get a more nationalist right winger then my mother, and she is always askiing me if the flag is the right way up.

I agree, it was not the work of one in the cabinet, but either an intern (or god forbid) a private company.

One question, how do we know where the audiance is seated?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Or, he may just have bad ideas. Such as creating cradle-to-grave government dependency.


Yes, that's precisely what the programs mentioned in the infographics do. They create a cradle-to-grave dependency. Yes. That is in no way hyperbolic or a ridiculous exaggeration at all.


While I agree that Drew is overstating for dramatic effect.

I am surprised that you are not calling out Obama for the exact same thing - hyperbolic statements.......


(oh, and Obama definately has danger of falling into the perception of being an avowed statist - the exact charge his opponets want to hang on his head)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
We're well past "perception" stage. He'd have a very hard time convincing me that he's not.


fixed
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Gov'ts live and die by the fine details. Obama may have great ideas but his administration does not think them through in a a ways that will get the job done and make workable gov't programs.


Whether or not that's true, a flag mistake (presumably made by a completely different group of people than the ones implementing policy) is neither evidence for nor against. It's a much better candidate for "confirmation bias anecdote of the week."
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
We're well past "perception" stage. He'd have a very hard time convincing me that he's not.


fixed


So you are still calling out Drew for things - but then patently ignore it when Obama does it? I am trying to think what the word for that is......
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
So you are still calling out Drew for things - but then patently ignore it when Obama does it? I am trying to think what the word for that is...


Me calling out Drew on a specific instance is a little different from you saying "Obama says hyperbolic stuff ALL THE TIME why aren't you talking smack about him."

We do this stuff on a case-by-case basis. Provide me the statement you believe to be hyperbolic and we'll work it out like Missy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Gender: pot*ato. My opinion is an opinion.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
We're well past "perception" stage. He'd have a very hard time convincing me that he's not.


fixed


So you are still calling out Drew for things - but then patently ignore it when Obama does it? I am trying to think what the word for that is......

Wait... when did Drew got elected?
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I am living rent-free in MGK's head.


I never tire of how the conservatives on this board think that the entertainment provided by mocking them somehow equates to obsession.

(I used to think it was a display of egotism, but then I realized that if "some liberal makes fun of me on a forum" was the best they could do to maximize their personal importance in life, then it was probably the charitable thing to do to let them continue doing it.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I am living rent-free in MGK's head.


I knew you weren't exactly Scrooge McDuck, but I didn't know you'd gone to charity. It's nice of Christopher to give you the space for free until you can get on your feet again. Bravo, MGK.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
We're well past "perception" stage. He'd have a very hard time convincing me that he's not.


fixed


So you are still calling out Drew for things - but then patently ignore it when Obama does it? I am trying to think what the word for that is......


Utrecht...was that you who just squeaked out a 2 point win in a Trias game on Yucata? That was some cold shit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.