Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit when this kickstarter was first launched I thought it was going to be a smash and the first few days of the campaign held this to be true. However recently things have seemed to have gotten very quiet and pledges only seem to be trickling in and I'm wondering why. Unlike some KS campaigns there is a good amount of information, some reviews, the designer and publisher are active here on the games forum and there even a PnP version of the game to be played.

Could it be that the length of the campaign has led potential backers to put off pledges until nearer it's conclusion?

The two KS juggernauts Ogre and Zombicide are clearly getting a lot of attention at the moment, so maybe smaller projects are losing out here. With both Ogre and Zombicide finishing this week, now would be a good time to relight some interest in what looks to be an excellent and well produced game.

I'll be honest I'm keen to see the campaign hit it's stretch goals and the opportunity to get two games for the price of one with skyline becoming available at $75,000 pledged makes a sweet deal sweeter. Does anyone have any ideas as how to get Ground Floor a bit more support and attention? Maybe chuck in some zombies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I too, am surprised at the slowness of the campaign. I thought that this game would generate plenty of interest to easily make the $75,000 Skyline bonus.

The rules are solid, art looks great and with the ability to 'try before you buy', using the PnP version, this game 'should' have garnered a lot more interest. I've watched the videos and read the reviews from PnP'ers and the gameplay excites me, but at this moment in time, it looks as if the $75,000 goal is a bit much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't backed it personally because I've already got quite a few KS games backed at the moment. Although the game looks good it's $80 for me to get a copy and that's quite a lot compared to the other games I've backed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already backed, but here's my two cents why this isn't a runaway kickstarter hit:

1. Dry theme- business building and economics do not make for an amazing first impression. That said, many great games have ho-hum themes (medieval farming anyone?). Still kickstarter preys on emotion and impulse buying and Ground Floor is a game you buy with your brain. Which leads me to...

2. Brain burner potential- this game looks complicated at first glance. It's not an entry level game that you can pitch to your non gamer friends. If you look at the Zombicide forums the backers say things like "even if the game sucks at $1 a mini how can I go wrong?" And zombies=$$$ especially in the U.S. I think Ground Floor has broader European appeal but the shipping is prohibitive for some.

3. Tough head to head competition with rereleases- Tammany Hall, Ogre, Puzzle Strike. Some peoplehave been waiting for Tammany Hall to be rereleased for years, so it's hard to compete for those sales. New intellectual property is riskier and has less initial hype.

Still I think this is a great game with solid mechanics worth backing! Just no zombies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why is this project not flying along?

No zombies? zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad timing to be running alongside Zpocalypse, Zombicide, and Ogre. A lot of people feel like they're maxed out on Kickstarter.

Also, somewhat meh theme as someone mentioned.
Maybe print & play is cutting into sales a little too?

Not a lot of bonus stuff, people seem to really overvalue lots of exclusive junk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Why is this project not flying along?

Because you're comparing it to a Zombie game (of which some people have irrational an attraction to) and a Steve Jackson game (of which some people have an irrational attraction to).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be backing, I just haven't yet. Having a newborn in the home means my recreational spending is on hold for a couple of weeks more

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hadley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Could it be that the length of the campaign has led potential backers to put off pledges until nearer it's conclusion

My opinion is that you answered your own question. I have played this PnP a few times, it's a solid game which I feel will appeal to a bunch of people. But it is not a zombie themed mini game so it is unlikely to have the broad appeal of a Zombicide or Zpocalypse. Also as you mentioned, when the end of the campaign is over a month away I don't think people feel any urgency to pledge. The same happened with Zpocalypse in the middle period when it saw some 600-800 dollar days, but things soon picked up.

This is a great game and they have run an excellent Kickstarter campaign so far. I think you will see pledges surge closer to the end, especially if they continue to implement some solid stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
I will be backing, I just haven't yet. Having a newborn in the home means my recreational spending is on hold for a couple of weeks more

Cameron

But your account doesn't get charged until project is funded... in 30 something days. Pledging now versus 2 weeks from now should not be any different... unless I'm mistaken.

Edit: congrats on the newborn by the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:
Zeede wrote:

Cameron

But your account doesn't get charged until project is funded... in 30 something days. Pledging now versus 2 weeks from now should not be any different... unless I'm mistaken.

Edit: congrats on the newborn by the way

This is correct, nobody will be charged until the end date of the KS project. They do some sort of authorization when you put your CC number in, but do not charge your card until the end date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGregor
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the era of the Euro is drawing to a close. At least the age of the boring themed euro.

That being said I am backing this, and think the Skyline game looks neat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidMcGregor wrote:
I feel the era of the Euro is drawing to a close. At least the age of the boring themed euro.

That being said I am backing this, and think the Skyline game looks neat.

Personally, I don't think Ground Floor has a boring theme... but maybe I'm in the minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the theme is not boring. It's definitely not as trendy as zombies, but the theme and visual presentation are very nice.

Yes true, I don't get charged until the KS is over, but I still consider the money "spent".

Cameron

P.S. Thanks, Loren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get the zombie thing....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not backing it due to high international shipping - $30. This amount is not justified by Kickstarter extras, so I will look at it once it hits my local stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
I'm not backing it due to high international shipping - $30. This amount is not justified by Kickstarter extras, so I will look at it once it hits my local stores.

I think that if it does hit $75,000 then the inclusion of Skyline might justify the international shipping. Of course, if you are able to back in a group then shipping if free and the game will only cost $43!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Up until a week ago, I was living in the UK, and was involved in several group Kickstarter purchases. Now that I'm in Malta, I don't plan to stop getting involved, because shipping from the UK to EU countries is fairly cheap. So you might want to consider that option, Bart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright then, thanks for responses, any approx. idea on the shipping fees from let's say UK to Poland?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
depends on the weight of the box, but most single games in my experience shipped from the UK to EU countries for 8 (small games) to 15 (heavier boxes) euros. Also, there is a UK group trying to get more people right now, so if you explain that you'd pay the extra shipping to get to you, since it's not that much more than internal UK shipping, they'd probably sign you up)

here's a little chart I made up awhile ago to give you an idea of shipping ranges (note, these are in pounds, and to get these prices, the shipper must state that he's shipping "papers")

0.5kg - £3.71 (now £4.82)
1.0kg - £6.46 (now £7.82)
1.5kg - £9.21 (now £10.82)
2.0kg - £11.96 (now £13.82)
2.5kg - £14.71 (now £16.82)
3.0kg - £17.46 (now £19.82)

That said, I seem to recall my wife saying that postage in the UK is going up this year, so these might be a bit out of date...

UPDATE: I just looked on line, and the prices did go up a tiny bit, but still fairly reasonable. I've added the higher prices to the list above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidMcGregor wrote:
???

I really don't understand the conclusion made by this statement (though usually not opposed to speculation), mainly because I'm firmly in the eurogamer camp, and dragging more people kicking and screaming to this side on a regular basis.

My game night has a small ameritrash/social game presence (The Resistance is a highly specialized case), and the rest of the gaming are euros - most recent additions to weekly play in that group are Waterdeep and Glory to Rome, both very much eurogames (albeit with some aggressive twists).

The boring-themed euro...maybe. But I never calculate theme in how I like a game...NEVER. The excitement has to be in playing the actual game, not in how it balances with theme. I appreciate some thematic elements, sure, but usually a game with some flavor text like "You and your part have fallen into a pit of sludge, etc etc" is an indicator of a game I do NOT want to play again.

Sorry, just...very confused by the statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder whether announcing a really nice stretch goal so far away (Skyline) has led to a bunch of people being reluctant to back the project until that goal is reached (or at least looks as if it is).

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
I wonder whether announcing a really nice stretch goal so far away (Skyline) has led to a bunch of people being reluctant to back the project until that goal is reached (or at least looks as if it is).

B>

It's possible. But I wonder if it just needs more exposure. People, even those who enjoy euros, might look at the title/theme/cover and move on. I'm guilty of this with plenty of games.

Also, I'm sure there are a plethora of people who enjoy tight euros worker placements who have no idea the game exists because they don't subscribe to the Kickstarter thread.

As mentioned on the kickstarter thread, a BGG contest would help a lot. Ogre and Zombicide have more of cult following... that exploded. I don't think we'll get that with Ground Floor, but increasing general exposure to casual and hardcore gamers who aren't informed about the game should help a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGregor
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
DavidMcGregor wrote:
???

I really don't understand the conclusion made by this statement (though usually not opposed to speculation), mainly because I'm firmly in the eurogamer camp, and dragging more people kicking and screaming to this side on a regular basis.

My game night has a small ameritrash/social game presence (The Resistance is a highly specialized case), and the rest of the gaming are euros - most recent additions to weekly play in that group are Waterdeep and Glory to Rome, both very much eurogames (albeit with some aggressive twists).

The boring-themed euro...maybe. But I never calculate theme in how I like a game...NEVER. The excitement has to be in playing the actual game, not in how it balances with theme. I appreciate some thematic elements, sure, but usually a game with some flavor text like "You and your part have fallen into a pit of sludge, etc etc" is an indicator of a game I do NOT want to play again.

Sorry, just...very confused by the statement.

My group is very much a euro group as well and I have backed this but I am just getting the feeling that games with business, or medieval themes are proving more and more difficult to generate buzz. My group seems to be the opposite of yours in that the AT crowd gets bigger by the week. The euro gamers are either playing their old standbys or the newer Waterdeep, or Manhattan Project(both of which have unique themes)

I am getting the impression that the overall pulse of BGG is moving away from the cube pushers and more toward games with theme first. Lords of Waterdeep is a perfect example. The theme might not be strong in that one but it is much more popular because of its theme. The market gets flooded with more euros each day and it seems like the unique themed ones are rising to the top. Ground Floor, despite the backing of a publisher who has more than proven itself is doing well, but not as well as I expected. Just another sign that mechanics, designer, and reputation, are no longer the main selling point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe some contest for it would be good for publicity/exposure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.