Subject: Expansions build themselves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions for this game build themselves.
Here is what they will have:
4 new heroes
4 new classes
1 new campaign
2-3 new monster groups
A few new boards
Cards to go with new classes/ monsters
$50-60 later and you are good to go.

The only question, I have is will they let you link campaigns, or will you need to start over with new heroes for each campaign. It would be cool if you could keep going, but it would be easier for design, if you can't keep going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be surprised if they add a few additional cards for the old classes as well. This allows some fresh play out of those existing classes without it feeling like the same skills/different character.

A linked campaign would be sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought along similar lines myself. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see large and small expansions, kind of like Arkham Horror. The small ones could be new hero or two and a new campaign, while larger ones could introduce more monsters and more substantial rules additions.

I definitely think we'll see another Road to Legend type expansion as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
With D2E D&D-like system the only thing you need is imagination to build your own campaign, full of events not played by cards, maps with our own objectives, where you is a dungeon master that looking carefully on the game and switching difficulty to better adjust balance for each situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
4 new heroes
4 new classes
1 new campaign
2-3 new monster groups
A few new boards

The only question, I have is will they let you link campaigns, or will you need to start over with new heroes for each campaign. It would be cool if you could keep going, but it would be easier for design, if you can't keep going.

or some new skills for old classes?

i don't think the game will need a lot of new classes anyway,or the game could become unbalanced maybe...
and new treasures of courses ! new items ! etc

but yeah each expansion can have his own campagn,and that's great.
And maybe some Print on Demande Campagn also...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
What about small box and big box expansions like with Runebound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me like this configuration is ripe for Print-On-Demand style expansions, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Fuck Print on Demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butlerian wrote:
What about small box and big box expansions like with Runebound?

or Talisman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Fuck Print on Demand.

Don't be shy, Skeletor. Tell us how you really feel. =P

youperguy wrote:

4 new heroes
4 new classes
1 new campaign
2-3 new monster groups
A few new boards

Sounds good to me. I only hope they don't go making too many of these too quickly and swamping the game up with new rules, like what happened to 1e. Take your time, FFG! Make it last!

I would also be cool with only one new archtype (2 classes) per expansion, to keep them from running out of class ideas too quickly. (The longer we can prolong "mystic theurge" type nonsense, the better )

youperguy wrote:

The way the campaign is set up in 2e, it sounds like you can choose to play single-shot or campaign mode with each and every map. The latest preview even mentioned something about playing a one-shot map with +X experience on both sides to jumpstart your heroes.

Given that the campaign play in 2e seems to be designed to be compartmentalized or not, as players see fit, I would imagine that any "expansion campaigns" would also be designed so that you can continue with the same heroes or start fresh. After all, continuing the campaign with the same heroes would be the same as starting fresh with a +X experience bonus, so if the rules can handle that already, I think we're good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David West
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I predict there will be Overlord and Hero mini-expansions that are card packs like the Mansions of Madness PoDs... which is a scary thought given those things' "quality." But since the Overlord has some light deckbuilding mechanics already, there's plenty of room to capitalize on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogdiz wrote:
I've thought along similar lines myself. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see large and small expansions, kind of like Arkham Horror. The small ones could be new hero or two and a new campaign, while larger ones could introduce more monsters and more substantial rules additions.

What on earth would be in an RtL type expansion that isn't already covered by the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Fuck Print on Demand.

Eloquent as always.

What's wrong with Print on Demand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Fuck Print on Demand.

Don't be shy, Skeletor. Tell us how you really feel. =P

youperguy wrote:

4 new heroes
4 new classes
1 new campaign
2-3 new monster groups
A few new boards

Sounds good to me. I only hope they don't go making too many of these too quickly and swamping the game up with new rules, like what happened to 1e. Take your time, FFG! Make it last!

I would also be cool with only one new archtype (2 classes) per expansion, to keep them from running out of class ideas too quickly. (The longer we can prolong "mystic theurge" type nonsense, the better )

I can't imagine what new archetype they could come out with. What other archetypes could there be?

I can imagine many new classes, though.

Quote:
youperguy wrote:

The way the campaign is set up in 2e, it sounds like you can choose to play single-shot or campaign mode with each and every map. The latest preview even mentioned something about playing a one-shot map with +X experience on both sides to jumpstart your heroes.

Given that the campaign play in 2e seems to be designed to be compartmentalized or not, as players see fit, I would imagine that any "expansion campaigns" would also be designed so that you can continue with the same heroes or start fresh. After all, continuing the campaign with the same heroes would be the same as starting fresh with a +X experience bonus, so if the rules can handle that already, I think we're good to go.

Not necessarily. If the monsters upgrade from I to II at around the halfway point in the campaign, then presumably if the heroes continued to upgrade beyond the end of the first campaign then you would also need them to upgrade to III at some point. So we'll need Act III and Act IV monsters before we can do linked campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BraveDave88 wrote:
I predict there will be Overlord and Hero mini-expansions that are card packs like the Mansions of Madness PoDs... which is a scary thought given those things' "quality." But since the Overlord has some light deckbuilding mechanics already, there's plenty of room to capitalize on that.

Although I think PoD expansions are likely, I don't think there will be anything PoD in relation to the OL deck, as they would need to reprint all ~55 OL cards from the base game in every PoD expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tatzelbelm
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Cogdiz wrote:

What on earth would be in an RtL type expansion that isn't already covered by the base game?

A world map with cities and dungeons. The default campaign is just one adventure after another, with the sequence mostly determined in advance (and depending on who won the previous scenario).

A RtL-type expansion with a world map could offer free choice when to visit which dungeon. Each dungeon could give the heroes a certain, fixed, permanent benefit to the heroes which helps in the overall struggle against the overlord.

I could imagine a campaign about a war in which you have cities, troops etc. for both sides on the map. The heroes can then go around and unlock bonuses to specific cities, make alliances with neutral parties, improve troop stats and so on by completing dungeons. However, after each dungeon a war-turn would be played, and cities could fall etc.

But I don't really believe this will be made, FFG will probably stick to campaigns like the one in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatzelbelm wrote:

But I don't really believe this will be made, FFG will probably stick to campaigns like the one in the base game.

Yes. It's looking like FFG deliberately did *not* want to repeat the same game model they used for RtL in the 2E campaign system. Plus, what you described seemed to be an almost entirely different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Fuck Print on Demand.

Eloquent as always.

What's wrong with Print on Demand?

Frankly the cost to content ratio is way too poor IMHO. At least compared with a regular "big-box" expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tatzelbelm
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Tatzelbelm wrote:

Yes. It's looking like FFG deliberately did *not* want to repeat the same game model they used for RtL in the 2E campaign system. Plus, what you described seemed to be an almost entirely different game.

Yes, it would be pretty much an additional game put on top of standard Descent 2e. But if you want to add a campaign with free choice where to go next, creating a compelling narrative will be hard. So you need the game to create a compelling narrative out of the decisions of the players, heroes and especially also the overlord.

The structure I mentioned was the first possible option to achieve this that came to my mind.

In 1e Road to Legend the players visited most dungeons because, well, it was the only way to get money and experience, and the overlord wins if they don't get money and experience fast enough. You need more than that, you need actual, tangible reasons why the heroes went to dungeon A first, and not to dungeon B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.