Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Mighty Putty (yes, the same as you've seen advertised on TV by Billy Mays) for $2.99 for a package of 3 2-ounce tubes at a Michael's store here in northeast Indiana.

Mighty Putty is the same thing as "green stuff," or epoxy putty, used by those who assemble or modify miniatures.

I bought 2 packages, which should last me a lifetime (assuming it doesn't all dry out first).

Edit: Spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [US] Mighty Putty ("green stuff") at Michale's for $2.99 for 6 oz
Thanks for the info. I will look for it the next time I go there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty Putty is not the same thing as Green Stuff! Who told you that it was?

Green Stuff is indeed epoxy putty, but it is a specific type of epoxy putty called kneadatite. I'm not sure exactly what type of epoxy Mighty Putty is but it sure isn't the same.

The biggest problem with Mighty Putty is that it won't hold crisp, fine details the way kneadatite will. If you need to fix something around the house, the lack of resolution isn't really a problem, but for miniatures, the Mighty Putty is too clumsy. My understanding is that it doesn't take paint as well but I'm not as sure about that. Additionally, the Mighty Putty smells pretty damn bad. Finally, the kneadatite will last a lot longer before you mix it - I can't say I've had any real problems with it drying out.

If you want a cheaper alternative to kneadatite for gaming stuff, look for a putty called Procreate. It is sold by some companies as Grey Stuff. There is also a slightly different formulation of kneadatite available that a lot of people like; it is a brown color when combined. Not surprisingly, a lot of miniatures people call it Brown Stuff. Also, if you look around, you can find regular green kneadatite a lot cheaper than Games Workshop if you look around online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kneadatite is a brand name, Milliput is another. Both are "green stuff". Just an FYI. Mighty Putty may not be as good, I don't know... I did a little research and it seems it may be a Coke vs Pepsi type debate... ie, based on personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
Kneadatite is a brand name, Milliput is another. Both are "green stuff". Just an FYI.

Yes, Kneadatite is a brand name, but "green stuff" refers originally and specifically to Kneadatite. It's a yellow and blue ribbon that makes a green compound when mixed. Milliput and the like are similar types of epoxy putty, but they are all different in various significant ways. They are not "green stuff". Some dry faster or slower or have different consistencies. Milliput is more clay like compared to Kneadatite's firmness.

If someone specifically needs "green stuff", then most likely only Kneadatite (or a few select other brands like Apoxie Sculpt) will adequately fill that need. It's a personal preference to some degree, but only within a small range of products for a given purpose.

Mighty Putty, for example, dries much too fast and is much too coarse to substitute for Kneadatite. It's okay for terrain modeling, but that's about it. I would only use it for low resolution sculpts, and I don't think you would find anyone using it for 25-28mm miniature modeling, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty Putty is definitely NOT Greenstuff. You've been misinformed.

There are other sculpting compounds, and each one has their own characteristics, but they all have to meet certain criteria in working time, ability to hold detail, very low shrinkage as they cure, etc...

Mighty Putty doesn't meet these and is only good for extremely coarse low quality sculpting like terrain or general shapes. You might be able to do something like use Mighty Putty for a base shape and then use a real sculpting compound to add details on it, but that's doesn't seem like enough gain to be worth it to me.

I've been pretty happy with Procreate and Kneadatite, haven't tried brownstuff yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
casperthegoth wrote:
Kneadatite is a brand name, Milliput is another. Both are "green stuff". Just an FYI. Mighty Putty may not be as good, I don't know... I did a little research and it seems it may be a Coke vs Pepsi type debate... ie, based on personal preference.

I've used all of the above, but Mighty Putty just wasn't suitable for my needs, which was miniature work. I started using Brown Stuff lately and prefer it. After Mighty Putty dries, it's a pain in the ass to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [US] Mighty Putty at Michael's for $2.99 for 6 oz
Ursus_Major wrote:
I found Mighty Putty (yes, the same as you've seen advertised on TV by Billy Mays) for $2.99 for a package of 3 2-ounce tubes at a Michael's store here in northeast Indiana.

Mighty Putty is the same thing as "green stuff," or epoxy putty, used by those who assemble or modify miniatures.

I bought 2 packages, which should last me a lifetime (assuming it doesn't all dry out first).

Edit: Spelling.

Sorry for any confusion my post caused. I have never used actual "green stuff," nor any other color of stuff, so I was wrong to call Mighty Putty the same thing as "green stuff."

However, as others pointed out, it is an epoxy putty and has some use for miniatures hobbyists. I used it to fill the base, pictured below, and applied the primer coat later the same day.

The Mighty Putty dried hard, did not shrink, and took the primer well. And that's all I needed it to do, so I am satisfied.

I hope that those who saved a few dollars as a result of my post are greater in number than those whom I mistakenly mislead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.