Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Boudicca: The Warrior Queen» Forums » General

Subject: Am I wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arnaud MOYON
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
BZH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First play today.
Not to say it again, a huge deception! Many excellent ideas in this game, I like druids effects, tribes activation, hunting of civilians, activations by cards and more.

But why cavalry should move slower than infantry? This almost negates all pleasure on this game for me.

Is anyone have the same feeling with that? Or am I playing it in a wrong way? I want to like this game but as it is I think it can't work. Has it been playtested? Really?

I soooo want to be wrong!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The celtic cavalry includes a lot of chariots: chariots are rubbish!

Roman cavalry are faster than or as fast as legionaries in all terrain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MOYON
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
BZH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok!
But what about Briron infantry going faster than Roman cavalry? I can imagine Britons know their country and can move very fast but moving 2 hexes more than cavalry in a movement phase? That does not sound strange??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't all infantry's MA 8 and all cavalry's MA 12?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MOYON
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
BZH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Aren't all infantry's MA 8 and all cavalry's MA 12? :what:


That was I thought and in fact they are! But clear hexes cost 2 MP for cavalry and 1 MP for infantry, making horses (and chariots ok) slower than men.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aTomm wrote:
That was I thought and in fact they are! But clear hexes cost 2 MP for cavalry and 1 MP for infantry, making horses (and chariots ok) slower than men.
That is weird.
Could be a typo. whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The move costs are the same in the original (Druid).

I am supposing they are due to the ease of moving light infantry through friendly terrain. If they moved at the same speed as the Romans, they would be slaughtered in no time. It forces the Romans to stick close to the roads, where they also get to forced march (move twice). Meanwhile, the Britons will try and raid unprotected Roman settlements.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
The move costs are the same in the original (Druid).

I am supposing they are due to the ease of moving light infantry through friendly terrain. If they moved at the same speed as the Romans, they would be slaughtered in no time. It forces the Romans to stick close to the roads, where they also get to forced march (move twice). Meanwhile, the Britons will try and raid unprotected Roman settlements.
Thanks for the most probable designer's intent.
They should have put some explanation for such an unusual rule though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MOYON
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
BZH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
I still not agree with the fact an army or tribe must move the MA of the cavalry, the slower element in it. I can't imagine a Roman legion waiting for his cavalry unit to follow, slowing their move.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aTomm wrote:
Thanks!
I still not agree with the fact an army or tribe must move the MA of the cavalry, the slower element in it. I can't imagine a Roman legion waiting for his cavalry unit to follow, slowing their move.
They should be called baggage units instead. laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MOYON
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
BZH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
aTomm wrote:
Thanks!
I still not agree with the fact an army or tribe must move the MA of the cavalry, the slower element in it. I can't imagine a Roman legion waiting for his cavalry unit to follow, slowing their move.
They should be called baggage units instead. laugh


ahah as a Roman general I can't say to my equites that they're "baggage"!
Not tomorrow I'll be acclaimed Imperator!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Good question.

I know the design team will readily answer questions at the Consimworld Boudicca folder:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd4a7a8/81

Cavalry does serve a very important function however for Withdrawal and Pursuit (10.44) during a battle!



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say deception, do you mean disappointment?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MOYON
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
BZH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
When you say deception, do you mean disappointment?


Sorry yes! blushblushblush
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing to blush about, I was just making sure. By the way, the movement rules do sound very odd.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct, DP . . . movement rates for units do not represent how fast they "can" move, but their maneuverability and how "fast" they DID move.

rhb
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MOYON
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
BZH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with briton cavalry being heavy chariots and by the way really slow.
But I'm still embarassed by briton infantry moving faster than roman cavalry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Logically I could only guess that Chariots were great for short bursts of speed during battles, but otherwise not suited for long distance cross country travel (which is really the only time the difference is noticeable).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrigo Velicogna
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
operationally speaking cavalry did not move faster than infantry. The majority of the time the horsemen are leading their horses rather than riding them. Horses tend to tire very quickly. This is the reason why other armies took remounts with them or had several sets of horses for different uses. Make sense to me.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Archeologist wrote:
operationally speaking cavalry did not move faster than infantry. The majority of the time the horsemen are leading their horses rather than riding them. Horses tend to tire very quickly. This is the reason why other armies took remounts with them or had several sets of horses for different uses. Make sense to me.


What he said. I like it, I'll go with that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
The following was posted by Lembit on the Consimworld forum:

Lembit Tohver wrote:
A few games during developmental playtesting and more recently (due to customer feedback received) , I have been playing the game using a 1.5 MP cost for Briton cavalry units in clear terrain. This allows them to move 8 hexes, just the same as their infantry counterparts. It has not affected balance so far, so if this is something that you as players would like to introduce into the game as a house rule, I see no problem with that. Just agree to it beforehand.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.