Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Nightfall» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for Suggestions for Draft Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Nightfall for the first time last night. We played it with three people. It took us longer than usual to get the game rolling; more than what I had expected based on the video reviews I watched. I typically pickup a game pretty fast. I noticed that the draft piles that we had available made the game drag as we had a lot of cards that didn't chain well. For example, one player had the only blue moon in their personal buy pile and I had two of three red moons in my personal buy piles.

Therefore I was wondering if people have found that there are certain draft cards that are ideal for learning the game for the first few plays. Any suggestions for a set of draft cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you're using the updated draft rules from Blood Country:

1) Deal 8 minus the number of players worth of cards face-up to start the commons
2) Complete the rest of the draft normally

This allows players to see most of the commons while drafting and will help a ton with picking cards that will chain well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:
Make sure you're using the updated draft rules from Blood Country:

1) Deal 8 minus the number of players worth of cards face-up to start the commons
2) Complete the rest of the draft normally

This allows players to see most of the commons while drafting and will help a ton with picking cards that will chain well.


I think my issue partly arose because none of us knew what to pick for our personal drafting buy piles. (I can't remember the name of the personal piles). So that really influence the gameplay. I look forward to playing this again and seeing the game move faster next time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few more plays you will be more familiar with the cards and have a good sense of what to draft.

A successful draft is selecting cards that chain well with the other cards you intend on buying. Especially if you can make your cards kick.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
After a few more plays you will be more familiar with the cards and have a good sense of what to draft.

A successful draft is selecting cards that chain well with the other cards you intend on buying. Especially if you can make your cards kick.


The next time I play I will make way different choices. Thanks for the good reminder. I feel like this will be a better two player game. Correct me if I'm wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shikosaki wrote:
The next time I play I will make way different choices. Thanks for the good reminder. I feel like this will be a better two player game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This depends on whether or not you like the politics of multiplayer. Those who like multiplayer prefer 3+ and those who don't prefer 2 player, so... there ya go.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shikosaki wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:
After a few more plays you will be more familiar with the cards and have a good sense of what to draft.

A successful draft is selecting cards that chain well with the other cards you intend on buying. Especially if you can make your cards kick.


The next time I play I will make way different choices. Thanks for the good reminder. I feel like this will be a better two player game. Correct me if I'm wrong.


I immensely prefer it with 3 or 4 people.

I find when you play it with 2 players, some cards become rediculously more powerful. Also, if you have a bad draw or a weak chain in a two player game, you are done for. With more players, the politics and multiple choices allow the player who may have been stuck with a bad draw or two to still come back and win.

2 Player mode is still fun and it has grown on me. It is just very agressive and unforgiving.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:
shikosaki wrote:
The next time I play I will make way different choices. Thanks for the good reminder. I feel like this will be a better two player game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This depends on whether or not you like the politics of multiplayer. Those who like multiplayer prefer 3+ and those who don't prefer 2 player, so... there ya go.



At the end of the day it will also come down to playing it a lot more. It's a really fun game; I am just finding my groove with it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.