Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final stretch goal reached! The top funded boardgame ever on Kickstarter is steamrolling all stretch goals!

(probably to be overtaken by OGRE in the next week, but who thought OGRE would be playing catchup to ANy game?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bain
United States
Clarksville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the fact that it out paced OGRE like it did is pretty incredible. Like you said, though I don't think it will be for long. Let's hope they can maintain control of such an awesome speeding zombie death machine and turn it into a powerful franchise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the video, and quite frankly, it doesn't strike me as such a wonderful game. There is one rating of 10, no reviews.

So what's the magic??? Is it pure herd mentality that makes people want to throw their money at a completely unknown entity?

What makes it better than any other Zombie game, like Posthumous Z?

I am wondering...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:
I watched the video, and quite frankly, it doesn't strike me as such a wonderful game. There is one rating of 10, no reviews.

So what's the magic??? Is it pure herd mentality that makes people want to throw their money at a completely unknown entity?

I am wondering...
114 beautifully sculpted minis is probably reason #1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbnbsmith wrote:
bielie wrote:

I am wondering...
114 beautifully sculpted minis is probably reason #1.

OK, I suppose that makes sense. I bought a whack of LotR heroclix because I love the minis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:

I am wondering...

Why would there be ratings or reviews for a game that isn't out yet? And the Kickstarter page has a damn good overview video of the gameplay which is more then adequate to form an opinion on.

Nice slam on people liking something you don't tho; nice try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:
I watched the video, and quite frankly, it doesn't strike me as such a wonderful game.

Exactly what I thought. Reminds me of Super Dungeon Explore, great minis but could barely finish my first game. But then...the minis are awesome...and the extra special characters even more. So I thought to myself, if the game turns out crap, at least, I will have minis to create my own awesome Zombie game! But amazing how they managed to get 150$ average pledge from almost 5000 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
No access to the finished Rule book!

That's the issue for me, I think it's a real failure and very discouraging.

I would be very unlikely to buy a game without first browsing through the rulebook, I would never buy a board game that costs 3x+ as much as the standard board game without reading the rule book.

This said I think most people just want the minis... so they'll be happy and if the game is good then they will be very very happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serial MoM
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also a tabletopper who pledges for this project because of zhe really high quality of he shown minis.

The sculpts are genious. Also the quality of the design of the board tiles i like very much.

Then i sawthe videos and the designer notes and i new 7 days ago that i haveto support this game.

Yeah it isinsane to spend 185$ for a game with lots of extras and shipping costs, but the names of the development team let me suggest ( ex Confrontation developer) that the gameplay will be minimum fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
I think most people just want the minis...

I think most people fall to the Kickstarter hype...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never Kickstarted anything before, but I jumped in for this.

The gameplay explanation in the video was pretty straightforward and the game looks streamlined and quick. It seems like an easy to learn, fast game with plenty of variability and re-playability -- perfect for my gaming group. (Though, obviously, if you want an Arkham Horror or a Twilight Imperium, yea, this is probably not for you.)

As has been noted, the designers have some pretty good credentials: I always thought Rackham's stuff was pretty solid from a game play perspective.

Worst case scenario, I'm sure the wonderful BGG community will be posting up tons of custom content (maps, scenarios, houserules, etc.) -- so even IF the game mechanics are a bit lacking, the components included are absolutely gorgeous and lend themselves to so much potential.

And yea -- that many lovely zombie sculpts at that scale can also get tons of use in all sorts of other games. That really is a A LOT of stuff for the price point, especially these days.

Herd mentality? Probably somewhat of a factor, but I do like supporting a promising new gaming company that's taken such an ambitious first project to task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My whole group watched the video, and all thought it looked absolutely awesome. I love Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, but this had me saying "YES, this is what Last Night on Earth should have been". And, I reason, even if the game turns out to suck, 112 nice minis is still a pretty good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted a fun zombie game that was co-op, and I hope this is it. If it wasn't co-op, I probably wouldn't have pledged.

I was going to wait to buy it until after it was released and there were some reviews posted, but I wanted some of the extra stuff. I guess I got suckered in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
LOL, I saw a post stating it was ending this week. I had seen the other Zombie kickstarter game and wasn't impressed. I didn't realize until today that there were two separate zombie games with major Kickstarter followings. I said, hmm, I'd better check this one out. I went over to look and it looks cool. Looked for the funding options and it ended 4 hours ago.

Man, looks like I would have liked this one. I tend to do most of my browsing in the evenings after I've got all my daytime stuff done. I wish this one had gone a few more hours until Sunday night, but there's always going to be some that missed out, and it looks like I'm part of the "out" crowd on this one.

I'm going to go off now and feel bad for myself for a few minutes. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josephus wrote:
I'm amazed that so many people have invested $100+ on a game that is such an unknown.

Former Rackham employees + CMON. For a lot of minis fans, that's all that needs to be said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:

Absolutely correct. This game will be dead a couple of months after it's release. That is, if it ever gets released!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
LOL, I saw a post stating it was ending this week. I had seen the other Zombie kickstarter game and wasn't impressed. I didn't realize until today that there were two separate zombie games with major Kickstarter followings. I said, hmm, I'd better check this one out. I went over to look and it looks cool. Looked for the funding options and it ended 4 hours ago.

Man, looks like I would have liked this one. I tend to do most of my browsing in the evenings after I've got all my daytime stuff done. I wish this one had gone a few more hours until Sunday night, but there's always going to be some that missed out, and it looks like I'm part of the "out" crowd on this one.

I'm going to go off now and feel bad for myself for a few minutes. soblue

I believe you can still get on board by emailing them at sales@coolminiornot.com. There was a post that they're still taking orders (though you'd be bypassing Kickstarter and Amazon doing it this way -- in case you care).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:

How is a game by a group of veteran designers, with a video showing an example of a basic turn's gameplay along with a look at prototype tile art and miniatures "a completely unknown entity"? There's more than enough information to decide if Zombicide is likely to be something you're interested in. And if you're not, or the asking price of a pledge was too high for you to justify spending, well, that's fine. But throwing out the phrase "herd mentality" implies that people who opted in are doing so unthinkingly, and while maybe some people did I don't think it's a fair or accurate generalization to make.

Now, the rules aren't out, granted. But MOST people (not necessarily most people here on BGG, but most people) who buy games they haven't played before don't read the rules first. They decide based on the cover art, or the back of the box, or a brief description they read somewhere, or someone's recommendation, or what have you. People throw money at relatively unknown entities all the time — when they try a new restaurant in town, when they buy a new book they've heard about, when they go to a movie based on the trailer. Why is it "herd mentality" when it's on Kickstarter?

It's great that a lot of publishers release the rules to their games for people to read, but rules only tell you so much — it's not the same as playing the game, and there are plenty of other ways to determine if a game seems like something I'd enjoy (and I've been disappointed in more than one game whose rules I've read beforehand, so that's no guarantee of anything either). Putting down the money for anything you haven't played, no matter how much information is available, is a gamble. The Zombicide Kickstarter provided enough information that keyed to my interests (cooperative, zombies, lots of miniatures, clever-sounding system of escalating threat, etc.) to justify that gamble for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
bielie wrote:

How is a game by a group of veteran designers, with a video showing an example of a basic turn's gameplay along with a look at prototype tile art and miniatures "a completely unknown entity"? There's more than enough information to decide if Zombicide is likely to be something you're interested in. And if you're not, or the asking price of a pledge was too high for you to justify spending, well, that's fine. But throwing out the phrase "herd mentality" implies that people who opted in are doing so unthinkingly, and while maybe some people did I don't think it's a fair or accurate generalization to make.

Now, the rules aren't out, granted. But MOST people (not necessarily most people here on BGG, but most people) who buy games they haven't played before don't read the rules first. They decide based on the cover art, or the back of the box, or a brief description they read somewhere, or someone's recommendation, or what have you. People throw money at relatively unknown entities all the time — when they try a new restaurant in town, when they buy a new book they've heard about, when they go to a movie based on the trailer. Why is it "herd mentality" when it's on Kickstarter?

It's great that a lot of publishers release the rules to their games for people to read, but rules only tell you so much — it's not the same as playing the game, and there are plenty of other ways to determine if a game seems like something I'd enjoy (and I've been disappointed in more than one game whose rules I've read beforehand, so that's no guarantee of anything either). Putting down the money for anything you haven't played, no matter how much information is available, is a gamble. The Zombicide Kickstarter provided enough information that keyed to my interests (cooperative, zombies, lots of miniatures, clever-sounding system of escalating threat, etc.) to justify that gamble for me.

Well said!

The thing is, this went far beyond what you described and became a break out phenomenon, completely unprecedented as far as I know. Usually there are early adapters who are willing to risk their money. These pioneers pave the way for the rest of us. Most people, I believe, will only buy something once they have been exposed to it for a while.

So to sell 5000 copies based on one rating of "10" (any rating of 10 should be regarded as suspicious when it is the only rating!), a short video and no reviews? I was interested in the whole psychology of the thing.

In the end the game will have to prove its playability and replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:
So to sell 5000 copies based on one rating of "10" (any rating of 10 should be regarded as suspicious when it is the only rating!), a short video and no reviews? I was interested in the whole psychology of the thing.

In the end the game will have to prove its playability and replayability.

I guess I don't see where the rating comes in at all. It's meaningless at this stage, and I'd suppose many — perhaps a majority — of pledgers never saw it, let alone factored it into their decision (I checked out the Zombicide page a bunch of times before pledging and never even saw that it had a rating or what it was).

I'd guess it's less of a herd mentality and more of a word-of-mouth shared interest thing — the more people hear about it, the more likely they are to check it out, and thus the more likely that some of them will pledge (and as impressive as the drive was, 5,200 people is not that many people in the scheme of things). I hadn't even heard of the game until Penny Arcade mentioned it (I'd seen Ogre), but I clicked through and now here I am!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

Yeah, well ... I think the single 10.0 rating is just the result of some over-excited wishful thinking, if it is not some marketing trick by a CMoN or GG dude ... (Very likely it is not a CMoN or GG dude; according to BGG information a BGG member from Brazil rated the game as high!)
For me this rating had no impact on my thinking and actions.
Actually I think it will be quite likely that the game will end up at somewhere between 6.0 and 7.5 - because it is just a game with plenty of cool looking stuff with only slim rules. In this assumption I also consider the different "understandings" of the various rating-steps (a rating of 9.0 or 10.0 would theoretically and literally mean that nearly no game would stand a chance if offered simultaneously ...).

Herd-mentality or plenty of individual decision ... Of of those, in some cases maybe even both? A lot more then 5.000 people cannot be wrong ... *just kidding*

All the best!
Mad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MaddockKrug wrote:
according to BGG information a BGG member from Brazil rated the game as high!

Not me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.