Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm trying to compile a list of games that make use of the deck building mechanic.
One of the games I had in mind from the beginning was BBTM; even if really minor I find it nice how it is there to complement the other mechanics.
I believe I saw it listed with the others, some time ago, but maybe I remember wrong.

It is just curiosity, but why not "deck building"?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
K____ wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to compile a list of games that make use of the deck building mechanic.
One of the games I had in mind from the beginning was BBTM; even if really minor I find it nice how it is there to complement the other mechanics.
I believe I saw it listed with the others, some time ago, but maybe I remember wrong.

Thanks!

The game was originally going to be a deckbuilder. However, as the game progressed, they ditched that aspect of it. It still as an element of it in that you can draw some cards and choose which one gets added to your deck, even removing cards here and there. But it is so far removed from the control you typically have in other deckbuilders, and it has been relegated to such a small portion of the game, that it is not classified as such any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
K____ wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

You might have seen the deckbuilding reference in a review or a geeklist.
To add it as a mechanic to the game just click "Corrections" on the upper right and add the mechanic. I agree it's minor but definitely present in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I think deck building I think of my ability to control and shape my deck. Choices that I make have to impact what happens in the future. BB:TM lets me pick where I am going to compete, but even if I win, what goes into the deck is in most cases is just a random card. I have very little control over what my deck becomes, when I get a Freebooter I always discard a lineman when I still have any in my deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would classify it as deckbuilding. While it is a minor aspect of the game, it is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as categorization goes, what it comes down to is:
Do games that have certain mechanics listed have to just have that mechanic present, in any form, however minor or subtle? Or do they have to be all about that mechanic?

Should games that list the auction mechanic be just pure auction games like Ra? Or can they also include games that have an auction as a minor part of the whole?

That's up to the organizers of the site, not sure if they've given guidance or not (I haven't tried to dig up "site standards" on this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
I would classify it as deckbuilding. While it is a minor aspect of the game, it is there.

Interesting, I'm not a big deck building fan, I'm 'ok' with this game because of he theme, but from an 'outside' of the deck building, this feels like a deck builder to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see this game as a deck builder at all. IMO for a game to fall into the deck builder category is that you get to choose cards to add to your deck that meet your strategy. You will see what cards are available and you try and claim of one them, usually via a simple buy mechanic.

In BBTM you get to, depending on what highlights you win, add a couple (may be about 5) of cards for each of 5 rounds to your deck. You don't know what you will be getting at all, you have no knowledge of the star players you'll be picking. There is also no thinning mechanic, some star players (freebooters) allow to ditch one card when you claim them. Your deck either stays the same size or gets bigger.

The card gaining mechanic is akin to Middle Earth Quest when you gain skill cards that add to your life pool. I would never say that is a deck building game (or even has a deck building mechanic.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Should games that list the auction mechanic be just pure auction games like Ra? Or can they also include games that have an auction as a minor part of the whole?

FOr me, the answer will come down to whether, if I was searching for a deckbuilder game, I would want this game to come up - and I'd say no.

You'd find out there was a teeny bit of desckbuilding in the review, but all clicking the deckbuilder box will do here is have it come up in searches when it doesn't really fit - so I'll say no, BBTM shouldn't be marked as deckbuilder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a deck builder. It has deck building as part of the mechanic. But building your deck isn't the core of the mechanic. The core of the game is winning matches by essentially taking tricks. It's a hybrid of a few styles but not a master of any. Though I do find it to be a game that is better than the individual sum of its parts. I think it's strength lies in its diversity of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your answers and thoughts.

I suspected it was not going o be simple

JohnnyDollar wrote:
As far as categorization goes, what it comes down to is:
Do games that have certain mechanics listed have to just have that mechanic present, in any form, however minor or subtle? Or do they have to be all about that mechanic?

Very well put.
I wondered if the mechanic was removed from the list because it was so small a part of the game, and if it was accepted/encouraged to not list minor mechanics.

Stu Holttum wrote:
FOr me, the answer will come down to whether, if I was searching for a deckbuilder game, I would want this game to come up - and I'd say no.

...and also I would agree with this

Reading all the answers, it feels like there is some mixing of different concepts. Uhm... let's try to put my feeling into words...

I think there is the deckbuilding mechanic, and going by the definition found at the mechanic's page:

Quote:
Deck / Pool Building is a mechanism in which players start the game with a pre-determined set of cards / player pieces and add and change those pieces over the course of the game.

-CUT-

This mechanism describes something that happens in play during the game as a function of the game, not mere customization of the game from a body of card prior to play.

BBTM uses the deckbuilding mechanic.

Then there is the deckbuilding type of game, and Dominion is the classic example of this.

I think BBTM is not a deckbuilder in this sense, and I would be disappointed myself if serching for games somewhat similar to Dominion (say) would come up this "thing".

Now I wonder how much a game can be "different" while being still a deckbuilding-type-of-game.
Oh well, this is the same old problem... I will not lose any sleep on it

BTW, the list I was referring to: Deckbuilding games that are NOT like Dominion

Thanks for bearing with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.