Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... And had a blast!

When I first heard of the game, "Seven Sisters," thoughts immediately came to mind of some rebranded Strawberry Shortcake mindless Milton-Bradley "throw-your-dice-and-move-your-rainbow-pony-across-gumdrop-meadow-to-get-to-the-Prince's-ball-before-midnight" game.

That's NOT this game at all. Instead of belles-at-the-ball, these sisters are the ruthless personifications of the Seven Deadly Sins. They're petty, spiteful, and vindictive. And you have to get them to, ahem, FAVOR you. And if you fail, well, as the saying goes, "hell hath no fury..."

Those of you who kickstartered will not be disappointed. Artwork really looks sharp in person, actually, and while we were playing at the gaming convention, observers would regularly comment favorably on it. Some components of the game have yet to be finalized, but the core artwork appears to be done and really looks very good. Geek pictures do not do it justice.

The game design is clean. There are one or two rules that are not immediately intuitive, like exchange rate of gold for making servants ACTIVE again as they are removed from a sister, or perks/penalties of turn order administered each new round, or that the final round is double-scored...

... But those are the only rules that aren't totally obvious. The player screens are still a work in progress, too text heavy without enough symbols/instructional art, and lacking the FEW rules as listed above that involve minutiae. But after talking to the designer, I have no doubt the revised/final screens will be great. It would have been nice for symbols, ala 7 Wonders, to be used on the sister gameboards in addition/instead of the text, but that's a VERY nitpicky criticism. Regardless, a couple quick plays, and this game does play quick despite the choices, and one has the rules internalized.

The game screams "variants!"... Not in the "these rules are half baked so we need to see this game design through" sense at all. But in the, "Whoa! This game can SWING!" lots-o-fun sense: one seemingly small play can have an ENORMOUS ripple-effect on everything else, in a non-random, entirely player-generated way.

Speaking of variants, Brad: Don't forget to consider the variant of randomizing Sister order AFTER servant placement but before scoring! If it plays fun, but too chaotic (though the effect won't be too random, as the players STILL have to decide how to target the effects of some of the sisters, though the order itself is randomized. Helps offset the effect of seating order among players a bit, too. Makes Wrath-camping a bit less reliable a strategy as well.), consider an auction-style bid (with whatever resources you choose), for the right to choose which sister goes to which position auctioned on a per-position basis (blind bid on first spot: winner places a sister, who already has servants on her from the just-completed card round, into the first slot. Continue process with each sister. Ties in bidding defaults to the unplaced sister with lowest default assignment number, or decided by Sloth like every other tie, though that might Sloth too powerful...

... See what I mean about variants?

Anyway, good medium strength filler. Potentially heavier filler with an AP prone crowd. Fun. Truly fun.

NOT what one would think a game called "Seven Sisters" would be like at first hearing. At all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kemper
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I kicked and am looking forword to getting my hands on it. Really hoping to see a two player variant if not I'll be working on one from day one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I also got to play Seven Sisters at the Gaming Hoopla this weekend. All I have to say: kicking myself for not kickstarting it!

Loved the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.