Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Last week, I got sick of editing the rules over and over again, (Previously, I had kept finding something missing). Today, I mailed a copy of the map to myself. I was told by retail contact that I was just tweaking it and to bring it on Tuesday night so the regulars could check it out.

I know that even including a little image of the map basically gives it to BGG, but suddenly I have so many questions. "The Game" needs a benevolent force behind it.

Thank you, in advance, for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its very cluterd and untidy. I think you need to lose the 'convoy routes' for a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even tell what I'm looking at. Can you explain the map a little?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ziacoach wrote:
I know that even including a little image of the map basically gives it to BGG

What is this belief based on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ziacoach wrote:
suddenly I have so many questions.

It might be best to state specifically what you want feedback on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ziacoach wrote:

Today, I mailed a copy of the map to myself.

Why?

http://www.snopes.com/legal/postmark.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the overall look of it. It is an interesting projection.

What's the game like? Are there economic elements?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

They are what I call sealanes. There are only Force units in the game, which can move over land and over sealanes. There are also leader units and fort units, which are immobile. I can see reducing the number of sealanes. I think got a little caught up with WW2 pacific campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There was a thread about copywrights or patents that game me that idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to now, it has been clear what to do next. I have been stuck on the box. I couldn't find something about 11 x 14 x 3 that could be modified with compartments, or locations for pieces. I'll probably make it out of wood. I've got playtesters ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you for your question.

The 27.5" by 21" map board is a Gnomonic Icosahedral Projection
modified to be a true-distance, true-direction, equal-area map
of the world. The objective was to create an unbiased map that
displays the continents accurately without any land separations.

Like I already mentioned, a reduction in the number of sealanes is now on the todo list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There is production based on number of cities, energy sites and cash, (from taxes). Production is modified by the homeland's economic multiplication factor and a government additon factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There are 4 kinds of cards. There are 60 random event cards, one of which is drawn every turn. There are 60 nation, 60 region, and 50 state cards, as well as a table of islands. There are advantage badges which players start with, or earn, or purchase, that can affect combat, economics, or even political events. I've really let the cat out of the bag. And there is defcon indicator.

Thanks again for your interest and all your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a very deep game. I'd be interested in hearing how your playtest goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the convoy routes even necessary? the distances are perfectly proportioned for a standard movement of any vessel. I am impressed, LOOKie folks...It even has Antarctica! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ziacoach wrote:

I've really let the cat out of the bag..

On the contrary, I don't think the cat has even seen the outside of the bag yet...In fact, I think the cat is inside a bag, inside a box, which a 16th level thief still cannot pick, or a "Knock" spell could even open. Nobody here is going to steal your game...Everyone I know posting to the board game design forums is genuinely here to help...be not afraid!

Your game sounds very enthusiastic...and if it has a DEFCON in it...very modern too!

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate to rain on your parade but this is not a RISK style board game. What you've done (judging form the map and your comments about production and cards) is a high time war game on the level of, say EuroFront or World in Flames (look them up if you aren't familiar with them already).

A RISK style war game is played in one or a few hours. That's what it does, reduces the complexity and amount of territory to fight over in order to make it fast enough for casual play.

From your comments you're looking at a massive time input. I'm guessing (just guessing mind you) a weekend of continuous play at the least. If you've got variable player numbers and player elimination (as in RISK) your players are in for a nasty surprise when they get killed in the first couple of hours and all their friends will still be playing for the remainder of the day. Or if they're stuck with a few areas and no chance of winning and the game will be going on for a long time yet. Or if they play for 10+ hours only to be killed off in mid-game.

I think that, once you playtest the game, you'll need to simplify it to become like RISK or change it in order to meet the "long wargame" format.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry about which box it belongs in too much, but an idea of players and playtimes would be helpful.

Let me know when you are ready for outside playtesting. I'm interested so far and should be able to put together a good group for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Point well taken. What you suggest would work except for the Advantage Seapower Badge, which begins with the USA player. The Advantage Seapower badge permits the owner to end the movement of a force unit anywhere along a sealane, thus blocking that, and any other sealanes that pass through the square occupied by the force unit. I was considering reducing the number of badges, but I like the seapower badge, because it gives the USA dominant naval power without filling the map with a bunch of little ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the antarctica compliment. The positions of the antarctic energy sites roughly match sites on adjacent continents, based on plate tectonics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you, again. I've already received more creative energy than I ever could repay. The main thing about this project is that it has always been in charge. Me, I'm just the guy who knows how to use the PC.

The amazing thing at this point, is that I can see how the sealanes can be made superfluous, but it would dictate another rules rewrite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All very good points. Thanks again. There is a mechanism that an eliminated player goes into exile and may reenter the game, if all the cities in his homeland are not occupied.

You are probably right about the not like risk idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bentley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
ziacoach wrote:

The amazing thing at this point, is that I can see how the sealanes can be made superfluous, but it would dictate another rules rewrite.

I've rewritten my rules dozens of times by now. Believe me, it is often a good thing. Check out how many different ship iterations we went through - and know that we've already made that last image obsolete, and I've just ripped apart and reconstructed the damage system (again), so we're probably about to be two or three more iterations beyond that one.

http://silent-fury.com/?p=153

Nothing in your game should be sacred. If there's a way to make sea lanes superfluous, do it and get rid of them. Give the new game a couple play tests and see if you really miss them or not - 90% of the time we've found that stuff we've taken out didn't need to be in there after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Beckner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the link. I need to study something different than "the game". The demise of sealanes will wait for version 2.3. I solved the box problem and "the game" is going to get on the dining room table at least once before it gets modified again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a game I have been working on for quite some time now: the rulebook has been completely rewritten, the map heavily readjusted, new units added, and the cards totally redone more than once. And I'm not even close to a finished product! One of the rules of game design is to playtest and adjust, playtest and adjust, playtest and adjust. The game will get better with every playtest.

As further advice, I would say, make notes of what your playtesters say. This will help later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.