first last
msg tools
I am posting my question in both the Ticket to Ride and the Nordic forum to get the most number of answers.

I have never played any of Ticket To Ride.

We are usually only 3 players when we play. (family)

Should I get the original Ticket To Ride first and then get the Nordic version later on?

Or Should I just jump straight to the Nordic countries version?

If I was only going to get one Ticket to Ride for 3 players who have never played any Ticket to Ride,which of the two do you guys suggest I get?

Will I be missing out by not getting the original that started it all?

Thanks for any answers you may have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tappan
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knowsnoboards wrote:
I am posting my question in both the Ticket to Ride and the Nordic forum to get the most number of answers.

I have never played any of Ticket To Ride.

We are usually only 3 players when we play. (family)

Should I get the original Ticket To Ride first and then get the Nordic version later on?

Or Should I just jump straight to the Nordic countries version?

If I was only going to get one Ticket to Ride for 3 players who have never played any Ticket to Ride,which of the two do you guys suggest I get?

Will I be missing out by not getting the original that started it all?

Thanks for any answers you may have.

DEFINITELY JUMP STRAIGHT TO NORDIC COUNTRIES! By far the superior version of the game with 2-3 Players. If you will be playing with no more than 3 Players 95% of the time. I would not not bother with another version before Nordic Countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I will go the opposite direction and tell you to ignore Nordic, I find it to be the worst version I have played. Go with original TtR, it is great fun with 2 or 3, plus for the 5% of games that you play with more than 3, you will be prepared.

If you also pick up the 1910 expansion (not necessary but adds a lot to the game), then you can play the big cities variant which will make 2 - 3 player games on the original map very tight.

I find that Nordic often comes down to both players needing a certain colour. If that colour is not available, then it becomes a cycle of draw two from the top until you luck into the colour you need, leaving you with a tonne of useless cards. I find this happens about 1 out of every 3 - 4 games played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I find the original TtR least enjoyable with 3 players. It is best with 4, then 2, then 5. With 3, it just gets too crowded without the double routes. Every other version of Ticket to Ride is superior to USA with only 3 players.

If you are considering playing with more players on occasion, I'd suggest looking into Europe instead of USA. At least Europe provides an alternative for the already filled routes with stations. But if you don't plan on playing with more than 3, I'd say go with Nordic Countries and eventually purchase Map Collection 2 - India and Switzerland if you feel like expanding as both of those also shine with 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Skärnell
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
Tux Cthulhu
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not get Nordic countries version. Instead I vote for Europe, far superior to the original and can also be extended with 1912 expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
I find the original TtR least enjoyable with 3 players. It is best with 4, then 2, then 5. With 3, it just gets too crowded without the double routes. Every other version of Ticket to Ride is superior to USA with only 3 players.

If you are considering playing with more players on occasion, I'd suggest looking into Europe instead of USA. At least Europe provides an alternative for the already filled routes with stations. But if you don't plan on playing with more than 3, I'd say go with Nordic Countries and eventually purchase Map Collection 2 - India and Switzerland if you feel like expanding as both of those also shine with 3 players.

Is it possible to explained to India/Switz using Nordic as a base set? I was under the impression that you couldn't...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
MrMT wrote:
Is it possible to explained to India/Switz using Nordic as a base set? I was under the impression that you couldn't...

You can use Nordic Countries as a base set for India and Switzerland, but for obvious reasons you will be restricted to playing with only three players (when India will usually take four players). There is also a risk in doing this, as Nordic Countries uses only 40 trains per player, with five spares generally provided to safeguard against loss. India uses 45 trains, so if any of your trains go missing (including if your set ships with less than five spares - DoW is being nice by shipping spares in the first place, and have no obligation to replace these components if the count is a little off when the game ships) you have a problem.

The Nordic Countries train cards use the standard distribution (though they have different artwork, including snow on the trains) so there is no problem there.

Nordic Countries will not work well for the Asia expansion, as one side takes up to five players and the other uses extra trains, and while the extras are provided the colours don't match the Nordic Countries trains. I believe two out of three players would have to have a mixture of colours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Hey, look, votes for Nordic Countries, original and Europe already.

What this thread is really telling you is that TTR preferences vary widely, and following any one person's advice (except mine, because I'm not going to tell you to get what I like) is unlikely to greatly improve your chances of the best outcome for your family. Instead, you may want to poke around on the forums for the various TTR games here, read what has been written over the last few years, and see what the general feeling is when taking into account the preferences of the general population of players.

My own impression has been that there has been a general lean towards Nordic Countries for three players, which is not surprising as Nordic Countries was specifically crafted for the smaller number of players. However, you shouldn't take my word for that. Go read stuff for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wraith wrote:

The Nordic Countries train cards use the standard distribution (though they have different artwork, including snow on the trains) so there is no problem there.

And I think snow-covered trains with Switzerland fits. As for India...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
I find that Nordic often comes down to both players needing a certain colour. If that colour is not available, then it becomes a cycle of draw two from the top until you luck into the colour you need, leaving you with a tonne of useless cards. I find this happens about 1 out of every 3 - 4 games played.

That can happen if the players only have one plan with no back up-plans... So it's more a question of strategy than of bad game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
first last
msg tools
Thank you to everyone for helping with my decision making.
Looks like Nordic country is the game that I will be getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:
willythesnitch wrote:

That can happen if the players only have one plan with no back up-plans... So it's more a question of strategy than of bad game design.

Oh certainly that is part of it. But often times you have one last connection to make, and need a specific colour. In other versions, you can at least hope for either your colour or a wild to show up. In this version, you can only hope for your colour.

I guess the moral is:

Don't leave yourself needing one colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knowsnoboards wrote:
Thank you to everyone for helping with my decision making. :)
Looks like Nordic country is the game that I will be getting.

I am not sure if you took the decision, but I recently jumped in TTR with this version (for playing with my wife) and it worked well.

There was a little initial rolling of eyes and complaining at the special rules for ferries, tunnels, and the 9-train route, but once she got them, it was full steam ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.