United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried this, ad i don't know if I want to try this or not, but if the game is too easy then here is one minor change to make it harder:

Every frost giant drawn by Loki goes to the bottom of the giant deck when defeated.

What do you all think? I already think Loki is the worst...this makes him brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
I haven't tried this, ad i don't know if I want to try this or not, but if the game is too easy then here is one minor change to make it harder:

Every frost giant drawn by Loki goes to the bottom of the giant deck when defeated.

What do you all think? I already think Loki is the worst...this makes him brutal.

But you need to collect the frost giants to activate the runes. You could add them back into the draw deck after you activate the runes, but I don't think that will make a large difference.

And by Loki being the worst, do you mean the toughest? He and Fenrir are definitely the strongest enemies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
But you need to collect the frost giants to activate the runes. You could add them back into the draw deck after you activate the runes, but I don't think that will make a large difference.

And by Loki being the worst, do you mean the toughest? He and Fenrir are definitely the strongest enemies...

Exactly....so instead of being able to use his power to get runes, you would only acquire them through opting to battle a non-active giant. Any active giants go to the bottom of the stack, making them a turn waster like Fenrir.

Now if you don't bother to collect runes then this change isn't drastic, but I can see it being quite stressful to know a turn is wasted to get rid of a giant, and if he has a rune you almost have complete...seeing it go to the bottom of the pile can be devastating. Plus as Loki moves along, he will be able to waste one turn for (most) multiple gods in a row....while forcing the use of vikings/elves/etc on battles with no benefit.

As far as my feelings on Loki being the worst...I have stated those before. But simply I look at loki and Fenrir as both turn wasters. Sure Loki helps create runes...but the giants also have status affects that can make the game much harder. And multiple giants = not fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
demondude777 wrote:

U can still implement this... Just use tokens or a chart to track what Giants were defeated. However, I agree that it almost always won't matter, as I have yet to exhaust that deck (somewhat close on a few occasions though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
demondude777 wrote:

U can still implement this... Just use tokens or a chart to track what Giants were defeated. However, I agree that it almost always won't matter, as I have yet to exhaust that deck (somewhat close on a few occasions though.

We actually do exhaust the deck relatively often as we're pretty aggressive in collecting the runes by using the Vanir track and attacking active/inactive frost giants. For us, that is a major strategy in winning the game. We're often pushed to near failure, but once those runes start to activate, things start to line up pretty quickly. For that reason, I think that Mike's clarification on the proposed variant (runes are only collected from inactive giants) is a SIGNIFICANT step up in difficulty. Just my 2 cents....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

… However, I agree that it almost always won't matter, as I have yet to exhaust that deck (somewhat close on a few occasions though.

Really? Burning through the Giants is one of my hobbies. Especially if I play Thor or Frey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity...Yggdrasil has basically 49 variations of difficulty out of the box. Have you actually felt the need for more variance than that?

Just wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Out of curiosity...Yggdrasil has basically 49 variations of difficulty out of the box. Have you actually felt the need for more variance than that?

Just wondering.

I love elegant variants if it can add something that the group will enjoy. Obviously, the OP was suggesting more of a 'variant' than variations of difficulty. The beauty of a variant, if he gets it to work, is that it could be compatible with the said 49 variations of difficulty out of the box, and now have double that.

I like to play with a very small variant of permanently removing Vikings that Hel takes from bags. This makes it is so Hel can't 'help' you, and you have to keep Hel in check. If there is another variant out there that can give a slightly different feel to the game (independent of the 'out of the box' difficulty variations) I definitely welcome it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.