BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 player game to play with girlfriend? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Litzsinger
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Being a big gamer, I've slowly began teaching my girlfriend how to play games. She did not play many games before she met me, but she's really connected with a couple of the games I've shown her - her favorite games are Ascension and Cosmic Encounter, but she also enjoys Innovation and Magic: the Gathering to some extent.

What I am looking for is another game that is great for two players and has a lot of variety in it. It's hard for her to describe why she likes certain games over others, but I think she finds Cosmic Encounter and Ascension so exciting is because she never knows what cards are going to come up and what's going to happen. I've been looking at Summoner Wars: Master Set, but I'm unsure if we would find the game boring after playing with each of the decks a couple of times.

Any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played any of the games your gf likes so I guess I really dont know her interests.... but I just played Havana for the first time with my bf a week or two ago and I really liked it. It is light and fun and I can't wait to play it again!!
I also hear great things about Jaipur, which might be another good fit.. Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muziq
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you play Cosmic Encounter with two players??!! How does that even work?

I can recommend Summoner Wars, you won't get tired of it; there's a lot to explore in that game, both strategy-wise and the many factions.

With the games you mention in mind I think that you'd probably also really enjoy Runewars which is an excellent 2 player game and maybe also Merchants & Marauders, although Runewars is the better 2 player experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Summoner Wars gets stale. I've found the randomness of the cards, the dice-based combat and the tactics your opponent keeps the game fresh.

I love Jaipur and recommend it, but it is a light game.

Race for the Galaxy may be perfect - take a look. It does have a steep learning curve but is totally worth it.

The Kosmos two-player series has lots of great 2-player games.

Batt'l Kha'os is lots of fun.

The Hanging Gardens is a great 2-player game that can play up to 4.

Something different is Tales of the Arabian Nights - a fantastic story-telling game (my wife's favourite).

If I think of any more I'll list 'em.

Good luck with your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend enjoys Citadels. And it plays quite good 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We like Jaipur as well, but that may be a little simple for her. Try Quarriors, or maybe even something from the Mr. jack series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars never gets boring. Never.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow her interests sound really similar to my ex-girlfriend's. She really enjoyed card games and Cosmic Encounter, and our go-to game was Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. It is cooperative which can be good for couples, and is just a really fun game in my opinion. You should definitely look into it!

And another one of her favorites is Summoner Wars. Awesome game, and definitely has a lot of replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Balloon Cup is one of my favourite games for 2 players (but tough to get cheap). A good card game is Lost Cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourites are "Hide the Sausage", "Who's naked under the blanket?", "Name that Orifice", "Hard, Harder, Hardest" and "How many fingers?".

Of course your tastes may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaska
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself introduced my GF to boardgames (before she knew only monopoly).

Here are the games that she likes to play:

Caylus
Agricola
Puerto Rico
Lords of Waterdeep
Dixit
Tinners Trail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Zack

I have a questionnaire up if you're interested in trying it out. You might get some more specific recommendations, especially if you ramble through the last half of it with your gf.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/799621/new-usershopper-recom...

good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of all the games I have tried with my wife, she has liked the following the most:

Lost Cities
Carnival

Others she liked (in alphabetical order):

Finca
Keltis: Das Kartenspiel
Pastiche
Pecking Order
Takenoko
Ticket to Ride: Europe

Others to consider:

Double Agent
Hanabi or Hanabi & Ikebana
Hemloch
Mr. Jack Pocket
Pick & Pack
Times Square

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.