Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!! Just curious what everyone's gaming limit is... I'm sure we all keep getting more and more and forcing ourselves to make new shelf space or rationalise why we need them all.. Just curious if you set limits for yourself? A number or all to fit on one shelf... and if you make yourself trade away some or sell some before you buy more..

I have a shelf in my teeny apartment, another at my boyfriends and another at my parents house.. I really should get down to one shelf but I rationalize that I will have a house someday soon and will have a gaming room and it will all fit... =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
To be honest I don't like to think of this. I'm on the first stage of grief - denial.

I'm sure there's spaces of my house that aren't filled with games yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I only try to limit myself to great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have still room for a lot more. There's always room for one more game

The limit is the size of my basement meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely think it's important to set boundaries regarding the number of games you own!

My personal rule is:

There is always room for 1 more game than I currently own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a perfect world, I would never have a limit.

But, I don't live in a perfect world. My wife is my primary gaming partner (and not overly often) so I try to get games that will appeal to her.

I used to keep all the games I acquired, but I came to the realization that keeping games that aren't getting played is just a waste of money and space. So I participated in my first math trade and did pretty good - traded 5 games for 8. If any of the 8 fall flat, they'll be traded in the next math trade. And if I wanted to, I could find private trades as well.

That said, there are games I'll never get rid of, no matter how many years will pass before I play them.

At some point I'll be able to just keep all my games, but until then I'd rather have games (mostly) that will be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to check out the math trades... I only have done private trades.. I need to check that out this year.. is it pretty easy to understand what to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelia102881 wrote:
I have yet to check out the math trades... I only have done private trades.. I need to check that out this year.. is it pretty easy to understand what to do?

It really is. There are specific threads that deal with a particular math trade. There are usually lots of participants that can answer questions - at the very least the person who is running the trade can help you out.

I believe there is a thread of math trades that are going on, but I'm too lazy to find it. However, they are usually announced when they start so you can keep an eye on them.

I'm still new at it - as I've said, only participated in one. But I'll be doing another one, that's for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still testing. Actually it's my wife's limit that is relevant - mine probably exceeds hers by orders of magnitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
I only try to limit myself to great games.

This.

That's why it's so upsetting to me to have games I don't like. They're for trade, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
My game limit equals my euro limit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Odd, I guess I'll be the first one to actually state a number.

Ideally my upper limit is 50. Once I go over 40 games I try to get the number under 40 before I'll let myself buy anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no limit in particular but I sell games that don't fit certain guidelines and that keeps my collection manageable. In order for a game to be kept it needs to fit the majority of the following criteria:
1. Heather (my wife) must enjoy it
2. I must enjoy it
3. It should fit a niche in my collection that would be empty if it was sold
4. It needs to pay for itself over time (cost me $3 per hour of play within a year of owning it and eventually less).
5. I need to look forward to the next time I get to play it or look forward to showing it to people who I think will really like it.

Happy gaming,
Redward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid that I cannot comprehend the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 5'X10" storage shed if I ever need it. I think if I have any empty space anywhere in the house there is room for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:

Ideally my upper limit is 50. Once I go over 40 games I try to get the number under 40 before I'll let myself buy anything else.

Same here. 50 is my magic number. I'm essentially always trying to optimize my collection. Games that are gathering dust get traded so someone else can enjoy them more actively.

The only problem is, I have a bit of a "Hall of Fame" going. You know, games that I'll never get rid of. I'm worried what will happen when I have 50 HoF'ers on my shelf. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
clockwerk76 wrote:

The only problem is, I have a bit of a "Hall of Fame" going. You know, games that I'll never get rid of. I'm worried what will happen when I have 50 HoF'ers on my shelf. shake

I have the same potential issue. There's a number of games that I've pinned as essentials that I can't see my self ever getting rid of. Coincidentally they're older titles. Not much of the newer releases really seem to have that spark that will make them winners in the long run. I think I also have a bit of objectivity on this subject as well as I only started gaming in 2009 so there's no nostalgia factor there to cloud my mind on the older stuff either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Correia
Portugal
Nazaré
Leiria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the beggining i thought 40 is a good number, but very fast i reached that, then i thought 50 is better, currently i'm on 80 and going up, i think 100 will "probably" be my limit, my storage cabinet can't take more than 100 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game limit of 500 games - but we have over 600.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelves? What's that?
I've started to store my games in the huge boxes that they come in. Unfortunately, over here having giant shelves in my shoebox apartment takes up too much space.
Now to question is, how to I hide the games from my fiance? ninja hehe
With all the games that keep coming in, I have to throw out other stuff to make room...Who needs novels...clothes...CD's...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
merc007 wrote:
Now to question is, how to I hide the games from my fiance? ninja hehe
With all the games that keep coming in, I have to throw out other stuff to make room...Who needs novels...clothes...CD's...
You can probably count on your fiance's support in the clothes and shoes department. whistle

For me: I'm gonna keep collecting until I have 100 games (first microbadge). Then I'll decide if I want to keep collecting for the next one. Probably not though, so I expect I'll start weeding out some less successful games then (Yes, I'm looking at you, Munchkin!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
Synnical77 wrote:

Same here. 50 is my magic number. I'm essentially always trying to optimize my collection. Games that are gathering dust get traded so someone else can enjoy them more actively.

Funny how it's a few Canadians all in the same boat ...
That said, my 'limit' that I'd like to keep is 30 or so. Unfortunately, with 1989, Virgin Queen, and a few kickstarter projects on the horizon, I'm currently just over that number. Alas, some hard choices are going to start getting made ... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meet an older gentleman at a convention to whom my wife lamented about the size of my collection and the money spent. The man smiled and informed her that he had just gone over 10,000 games and could not empathize. I smiled knowing that a new number, no matter how unbelievable, has entered the discussion and my paltry 450+ games has now been classified as small.

My limit - 1 less than then the most obsessive boardgammer I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Around one hundred. That's about two bookshelves full which is about right for me.

But my Warhammer stuff is mine all mine, and it doesn't count so don't you try to get rid of it. Killed a man for less *crazy eyes* It's probably two more bookshelves full if it wasn't all in boxes desperately trying to save space

The collection has expanded a bit past that lately so I'm trying to trade down, including multiples out for one in. If they don't go in a month or so it's to the lotto with them! BGG gives us all kinds of ways to get rid of our unplayed games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
mdpotter wrote:
I meet an older gentleman at a convention to whom my wife lamented about the size of my collection and the money spent. The man smiled and informed her that he had just gone over 10,000 games and could not empathize. I smiled knowing that a new number, no matter how unbelievable, has entered the discussion and my paltry 450+ games has now been classified as small.

My limit - 1 less than then the most obsessive boardgammer I know.

Rumour has it that Sid Sackson had such a huge collection in his New York apartment. Although he threw away most of the game boxes.
So maybe you met the grandmaster himself meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.