Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper L.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
First off, I'm really excited about all the new changes.

Monster scaling was addressed some what by scaling the number of monsters to players, but I wonder how monster difficulty will scale as the campaign or a single adventure progresses. One of the previews mentions the scaling of monster by each Act, but isn't that almost the same as bronze, silver, gold, diamond monsters in the campaign expansions?

I think monster scaling (at least to me) will make or break the game.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how powerful some of the heroes are now, I hope the monsters are up to the task to make the game a little more even between both parties. The beserker class seems especially powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the OL preview they give an example of level II goblin archers. They are tougher and do more damage then the level I goblin archers.

There will be only two levels of monsters, but I suspect that future expansions might and level III or higher monsters.

One difference between level I and level II might be the monster groups. You might face more monsters in level II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper L.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
youperguy wrote:
If you look at the OL preview they give an example of level II goblin archers. They are tougher and do more damage then the level I goblin archers.

Did you play Descent: Road to Legend because the lvlI / II / etc sound similar? In Road to Legend, it had a scaling system where each monster had 4 different stats that got higher. The OL was able to upgrade the monsters. I assume the Act/Level stuff in 2.0 will trigger all monsters to be upgraded? So maybe I sort of answered my own question? From the previews, the monsters seem to gain abilities too?

youperguy wrote:
One difference between level I and level II might be the monster groups. You might face more monsters in level II.

Can you elaborate on this? This sounds interesting if you face a larger number of monsters in further levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I have a hard time believing this since the games are supposed to be significantly shorter than D E1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcueid wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Did you play Descent: Road to Legend because the lvlI / II / etc sound similar? In Road to Legend, it had a scaling system where each monster had 4 different stats that got higher. The OL was able to upgrade the monsters. I assume the Act/Level stuff in 2.0 will trigger all monsters to be upgraded? So maybe I sort of answered my own question? From the previews, the monsters seem to gain abilities too?

youperguy wrote:

Can you elaborate on this? This sounds interesting if you face a larger number of monsters in further levels.

Just a guess, but for example, we know the monster groups for level I goblin archers are 2 heroes: 2/1, 3 heroes 3/1, and 4 heroes 4/1. (regular/ master)

It is possible that at level II monster groups could be: 2 heroes 3/1, 3 heroes 4/1, and 4 heroes 5/1. Of corse this is a guess and is probably wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper L.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
jacobugath wrote:
I have a hard time believing this since the games are supposed to be significantly shorter than D E1.

How would they balance the progression of characters/items? I think increasing the number of monsters is a possibility, and I don't think it would elongate the game that much.

Did the preview state that its supposed to be significantly shorter? My impression was that it was supposed to be shorter, but not by a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcueid wrote:
Did the preview state that its supposed to be significantly shorter? My impression was that it was supposed to be shorter, but not by a lot.

The BGG pages for 1st and 2nd editions show 4 hours and 2 hours playtime, respectively. I guess whether that is a lot will depend on your definition of lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper L.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
imyourskribe wrote:
The BGG pages for 1st and 2nd editions show 4 hours and 2 hours playtime, respectively. I guess whether that is a lot will depend on your definition of lot

But that's just speculation isn't it though? I could be wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
jacobugath wrote:
Quote:

The impression I got is that each individual quest will be significantly shorter, but there will still be a campaign system which seems to still be meant to span multiple sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:

There will be only two levels of monsters, but I suspect that future expansions might and level III or higher monsters.

Why? How would these monsters fit into the campaign structure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Well, if the new campaign allowed you to continue characters from the first campaign, then you would almost need level III and IV monsters.

My guess is that this won't happen, you will probably have to start each campaign with new characters. It will make game balance easier to maintain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Well, if the new campaign allowed you to continue characters from the first campaign, then you would almost need level III and IV monsters.

I know. I myself originated this idea in another post, though said it probably wouldn't happen.

youperguy wrote:
but I suspect that future expansions might and level III or higher monsters.

youperguy wrote:
My guess is that this won't happen,

Please make up your mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't I have it both ways .

Ok here is my full guess. The first 1 or 2 expansions will only have level I and II monsters plus a new campaign, but eventually there will be level III and IV monsters probably in their own expansion.

P.S. I am probably wrong, but it is fun to guess.
P.P.S the next preview will be on Friday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.