Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the rulebook corrections sheet there is a LOS example. Why is the Recon unit next to the village (to the left and closest Recon unit to the Heavy) not in the LOS of the Heavy unit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Line-of-Sight rules for Ranged Combat start on R-11. Ranged Combat comes in two forms: a) Line-of-Sight (LOS) and b) Indirect Fire.

Line-of-Sight Ranged Combat has a range of 5 "grid sectors" (squares) and "up, down, across, or diagonally" (orthogonally and diagonally ONLY). Like the move of the Queen in Chess—out to 5 squares!

The Red Recon Link is on space within five squares of the Blue Heavy Link, but does not sit on a space that can be drawn to it by a strictly diagonal or orthogonal line from the Heavy. (This is a bit like the way LOS is drawn in Star Wars: Epic Duels. Another game I really enjoy.) Note that LOS is blocked to the Red Heavy Link adjacent to Red Infantry in the upper left corner of the map for the same reason.

Note: I haven't even played the game yet, so I don't know why direct-fire line-of-sight is done this way. My guess is that it encourages people to think about unit positioning in the game. It makes it more difficult to stay in one place and pour fire directly into whatever enemies may be close to you. It may also give Infantry units a chance to approach targets with long-range fire capabilities without being targets themselves. This would force the enemy to vacate a position if they want to engage a close-by enemy unit.

Long Range Bombardment is a form of Indirect Fire that is beyond a range of 5 squares does not require Line-of-Sight. (Neither the strict sort the game employs nor the conventional sort that most wargamers and miniatures players are familiar with.) However, it does have a limit of 8 squares. (In other words, a range band of 6–8 squares.)

Smart Bombs are also a form of Indirect Fire Combat, but they operate in a range band of 2–5 squares. As long as the target is within range, it can be fired upon.

The Doomsday Bolt is a special card play that can target any enemy on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clear and succinct explanation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toy Vault Inc.
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
The Line-of-Sight rules for Ranged Combat start on R-11. Ranged Combat comes in two forms: a) Line-of-Sight (LOS) and b) Indirect Fire.

Line-of-Sight Ranged Combat has a range of 5 "grid sectors" (squares) and "up, down, across, or diagonally" (orthogonally and diagonally ONLY). Like the move of the Queen in Chess—out to 5 squares!

The Red Recon Link is on space within five squares of the Blue Heavy Link, but does not sit on a space that can be drawn to it by a strictly diagonal or orthogonal line from the Heavy. (This is a bit like the way LOS is drawn in Star Wars: Epic Duels. Another game I really enjoy.) Note that LOS is blocked to the Red Heavy Link adjacent to Red Infantry in the upper left corner of the map for the same reason.

Note: I haven't even played the game yet, so I don't know why direct-fire line-of-sight is done this way. My guess is that it encourages people to think about unit positioning in the game. It makes it more difficult to stay in one place and pour fire directly into whatever enemies may be close to you. It may also give Infantry units a chance to approach targets with long-range fire capabilities without being targets themselves. This would force the enemy to vacate a position if they want to engage a close-by enemy unit.

Correct, The LOS is restrictive to add a level of tactics to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.