C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I hate having to get lucky to level up- a pile of defeated foes lie at my feet but I'm the same dumb guy that started because I didn't get a 20. Are there any better leveling triggers that won't unbalance the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caltino wrote:
I hate having to get lucky to level up- a pile of defeated foes lie at my feet but I'm the same dumb guy that started because I didn't get a 20. Are there any better leveling triggers that won't unbalance the game?

19 and 20?

You could also level-up , maybe with 10-15 XP(not sure what would be the correct number).

It just so epic to get the 20 , so I'll still prone to the normal rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could house-rule an exchange of XP to level up, something like 10XP or maybe 20XP to level up (and not requiring a nat20).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
What would be a good number though? I don't have enough xp with the game to make a call, hence my post. Maybe if I roll a 20, it will come to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've done the following:
You can level up from 1 to 2 by either A) Rolling a natural 20 and spending 5 Experience (normal way). Or B) Spend 10 Experience at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Misner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking you could simply require +2 exp per value short of a natural 20.

So a roll of 20 needs 5 exp
a roll of 19 needs 7 exp
a roll of 18 needs 9 exp
a roll of 17 needs 11 exp.

That way you still want to get as close to 20 as possible or you have to decide if the exp cost is worth upgrading or waiting for your next hero phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boyd
United States
Story City
Iowa
flag msg tools
I created levels up to level 6 and my general rule for leveling is that you can pay the lower cost (5xp for level 2) on a d20 roll OR when a villain is defeated, otherwise you have to pay double (10xp for level 2), but you can still use this to level if you're unlucky. I hope this helps!

You can view my levels (3-6) here if you're interested! PS - It keeps the challenge!: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/839139/easy-way-to-level...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Riggie
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What about paying gold to level up? If you used the treasure tokens couldn't you allow a hero to exchange some amount of gold for a level? That would make the gold more useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.